Topics

Cannot send automated CQ from 1st memory

wfcaston@...

I have recorded a brief CQ and stored it in the first memory location.  When I selected the first memory location, the QCX did send the automated CQ a couple of times.  However, now when I select the first memory location and press the encoder button, then the left microswitch to get this message to play, the message is replaced with asterisks and nothing happens.  When I record another message, then try to replay it the same thing happens.  Now, nothing happens when I record a message (CQ), and try to play it.  I think that something probably is wrong with my QCX.  Does anyone have ideas of things I could check?
--
Anson
WV4C

N3MNT

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 05:05 PM, <wfcaston@...> wrote:
when I select the first memory location and press the encoder button, then the left microswitch.
Don't do both.
Long press encoder.
Select the memory location you want.
for single tx short press encoder.
For repeated tx short press the left button.

wfcaston@...

N3MNT,

Thank you for the response.  Sorry for my unclear post, but that is what I have done.  I long pressed the encoder, selected the first memory location, then short pressed the left button.  That is when the memory content of the 1st location was replaced with asterisks.  It looks like I am doing the right sequence, but the QCX is defective in its response.
--
Anson
WV4C

Arv Evans

Is the power voltage stable when transmitting, or is the voltage dropping enough to allow memory failure?

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020, 6:58 PM <wfcaston@...> wrote:
N3MNT,

Thank you for the response.  Sorry for my unclear post, but that is what I have done.  I long pressed the encoder, selected the first memory location, then short pressed the left button.  That is when the memory content of the 1st location was replaced with asterisks.  It looks like I am doing the right sequence, but the QCX is defective in its response.
--
Anson
WV4C

wfcaston@...

I am using the plug in supply that came with the QCX.  Maybe that is what is happening, though.  Maybe I can connect it to a battery tomorrow and give that a try.
--
Anson
WV4C

Ted 2E0THH

Hi Anson

That all does sound a bit odd, but I am sure you will get it sorted soon.
>>>I am using the plug in supply that came with the QCX.
To my knowledge, there is no "factory" supplied PSU, did you buy the kit ready built from someone else?

It would really help in solving your issue if you could post some further information about your QCX
- QCX band?
- Version revision number (if known)?
- Did you build it yourself?
- How long has it been in operation with you?
- What type of antenna is it attached to?
- Has a dummy load been attached whenever the antenna isn't?
- Does it receive stations oK?
- Have you made QSOs with the transmitter?
- Do you have the means to monitor the voltage supplied to the QCX?

Most problems are quite simple to fix, let us know the info above and I am sure the community here will soon have you sorted.

73s Ted

2E0THH

wfcaston@...

Thanks Ted.  No, I did not build it. I bought it from the ham who build it. I have been careful not to transmit without an antenna connected.  I will try another power supply this afternoon, then get back to you with the results and the answers to the rest of the questions.

It is wonderful there are so many helpful and knowledgeable hams on this website!
--
Anson
WV4C

wfcaston@...

Ted and all,

Answers to questions:

QCX band: 20 meters
On power up, there is a 1.00G 2019 displayed.  I presume that is the firmware version?
The qcx was built by another ham from whom I bought it.
I have only had it for several weeks.
It is attached to a QRP trapped dipole which I constructed for portable use and is only a few feet above the ground.
I keep the unit connected to an antenna or dummy load when transmitting.
It receives signals ok, but not too loudly.  The 20 meter band does not seem to be hot now.  Maybe due to the sunspot low? Is it correct that 20 meters is not extremely open?
I have not yet made a qso.
I am now connected to a much better power, 20 amp power supply.

I connected the QCX to the new power supply and now the memory does not erase any longer!  Many thanks for the suggestion that a voltage drop on the power supply could be a problem.  However, after my recorded message is completed it sends a series of seven dits, maybe left over from a previous recording.  I cannot wait for the recording to end because of the extra dits.  Maybe this is left over from a previous recording.  Is there a way to clear this memory location to start over?

I realize I need a much higher antenna for this QRP rig.  I am also planning to order and construct the 50 watt amplifier, but that will take some time.  I am ordering supplies for a permanent dipole for 20 meters, and as soon as I get that installed at 30 plus feet in the air, I can give this QCX a fair test.  Meanwhile, I am going to buy an SWR meter (probably in kit form), an alternate rig, and order more connectors.  I have had a 20 year hiatus from amateur radio, and want to get back as a cw operator and use the QCX rig for camping.  Many thanks for the very helpful suggestions!  If I could just get a suggestion on clearing the memory to start fresh on a new recording, I can then get the automated CQ to loop, and when I get a better antenna installed can start making QSOs.
--
Anson
WV4C

Hi Anson, welcome back to ham radio.

I'll answer your message editing questions, but first, you have a very early firmware release, and I strongly suggest you update to the latest, v1.05, which has quite a few bug fixes and improvements.
So in the manual for rev 5 of the circuit board (which you certainly won't have, but it doesn't matter in this case) in section 4.18, page 79, which relates to editing messages (menu 2), you'll notice two important characters: one is the solid left-pointing triangle (not the left-pointing arrow), which deletes the entire current message, no matter where the cursor is; and the empty vertical rectangle, which clears the remainder of the message to the right of the cursor. One of those should do what you want when you turn the encoder control to that character and press the encoder button. Later versions of the software have interval and repeat controls as items 2.1 and 2.2, but the manual hasn't yet been updated to reflect that, it seems.

On the subject of antennas and power amps.... you might want to do the antenna first and see what that gets you before you invest in the PA. You may find that it improves things a lot. If you remember your antenna theory, the minimum radiation angle of a low horizontal is quite high - a good 5 degrees above the horizontal - which give you a bounce a couple of states away and with QRP and 20m, you're not going to get a lot of distance. Others here are more knowledgeable than I on that subject, and will likely give better and more detailed advice, but height is might, they say.

When you say "open" around here, you awake the slumbering knights of old, who will tell you in no uncertain terms that the band is "open" when anybody presses a Morse key and somebody else hears and responds to the CQ. Your mileage may vary, but there is always somebody out there within reach.

Oh, lastly, SWR meter would be good, of course, bu t you might want to look up the NanoVNA: as the name suggests it's a small vector network analyzer, very economically priced, and remarkably capable; SWR is the least of what it does. Several of us around here - including I - have one, and have been very happy with it.

Hope that helps,

Good luck :-)
--
Julian, N4JO.

wfcaston@...

Many thanks for the good suggestions.  I think I am on the right track now.  This will take some time, but I am retired now and have time for this. :)

--
Anson
WV4C