Topics

Can't get the straight key to work

David R. Hassall WA5DJJ

Dear Gang,

On my QCX+  that I have just finished.

I have a straight key hooked up tip to barrel on a 3 circuit 3.5mm plug.   Menu 4.1 set to straight.  Menu for selection of keying is set to tip.  When I push the key down I get continuous dits.   What have I missed.  Didn’t see anything else in the documentation.

Any help appreciated

73 Dave Hassall WA5DJJ  Las Cruces, New Mexico

QRSS SUPER GRABBER WEBSITE: http://www.qsl.net/wa5djj/

Ronald Taylor

Dave, sounds like you have it all set correctly. I just verified on the QCX+ I have here that it works as expected with those settings. And it works both with the stereo-type cord/plug and the mono-type in the straight key mode as you have it set up. All I can think of is to do a factory reset and see if that fixes it. You will have to put all your settings back in including calibration if you've gotten that far.... Good luck ... Ron

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 4:03 PM David R. Hassall WA5DJJ <dhassall@...> wrote:

Dear Gang,

On my QCX+  that I have just finished.

I have a straight key hooked up tip to barrel on a 3 circuit 3.5mm plug.   Menu 4.1 set to straight.  Menu for selection of keying is set to tip.  When I push the key down I get continuous dits.   What have I missed.  Didn’t see anything else in the documentation.

Any help appreciated

73 Dave Hassall WA5DJJ  Las Cruces, New Mexico

QRSS SUPER GRABBER WEBSITE: http://www.qsl.net/wa5djj/

David R. Hassall WA5DJJ

Dear Group,
Ron's suggestion worked perfectly,  But I don't understand why??   After I performed a factory reset, then reset my frequency correction of 25,000,000Hz for the TCXO and picked the 30M band I plugged in my straight key and it worked perfectly.   When I originally turned the QCX+ on it should have started the same way and the options were the same.   But it is working fine now.  I don't have any complaints.
Take care and have fun.   Thanks Ron for pushing me to reset it to factory defaults.   My brain keeps saying that shouldn't have been necessary. Initial light off should have been the same as factory reset?????
73 DE  Dave WA5DJJ,  Las Cruces, New Mexico.  ..

Ronald Taylor

Glad you got it working Dave. No idea what the original glitch was caused by but sounds like you're back in business ... Ron

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 3:03 PM David R. Hassall WA5DJJ <dhassall@...> wrote:
Dear Group,
Ron's suggestion worked perfectly,  But I don't understand why??   After I performed a factory reset, then reset my frequency correction of 25,000,000Hz for the TCXO and picked the 30M band I plugged in my straight key and it worked perfectly.   When I originally turned the QCX+ on it should have started the same way and the options were the same.   But it is working fine now.  I don't have any complaints.
Take care and have fun.   Thanks Ron for pushing me to reset it to factory defaults.   My brain keeps saying that shouldn't have been necessary. Initial light off should have been the same as factory reset?????
73 DE  Dave WA5DJJ,  Las Cruces, New Mexico.  ..

James Daldry W4JED

Hi, David

I've repaired TV's by covering the micro with a piece of aluminum foil for a few seconds - just short all the pins together. CMOS works partly on electronics, partly on voodoo. Had an LG cell phone that developed no outgoing voice, that I repaired with a factory reset.

73

Jim W4JED