Topics

Cable for LCD screen?

B.A. Black

Hi all,
I have a quick question...
i’m going to be mounting my LCD screen in a case i’m going to use and was wondering what type of cable should i use.
thanks in advance for any help.

73 de Brett/K5BEZ.

Dave

The LCD screen uses a multiple pin connection, so instead of a direct connection of pins into sockets you can use a ribbon cable.  Old floppy drives used ribbons, often boring grey, or if you are lucky a rainbow ribbon which follows the resistor colour code. Preparing the cable can be tedious.  Or you could use interconnect jumpers like are used with prototyping plug in boards. Having a male pin on one end and a female socket on the other would allow pretty speedy connection to the normal pins and sockets usually used on the board and display, plus allow quick disconnnect if you needed to.

Dave

On Jun 22, 2020, at 14:22, B.A. Black <k5bez1@...> wrote:

Hi all,
I have a quick question...
i’m going to be mounting my LCD screen in a case i’m going to use and was wondering what type of cable should i use.
thanks in advance for any help.

73 de Brett/K5BEZ.

N3MNT

16 pin cable/connector assys hard to find.  You can use a 34 pin cable/connector assy.  Lots of lengths available on Amazon.

M0RON

When I mount lcd screens remote from the pcb I make up my own cables using Dupont pins and housings, make it to whatever length is needed. They are available ready made in various lengths and choice of male or female fittings already crimped.
Andy
--
The universe is made up of Protons, Neutrons, Electrons but contains only one M0RON.

B.A. Black

Thanks!!

B.A. Black

Thx!

B.A. Black

Great idea!
thx!

R. Tyson

The interconnect cables, male pin one end and female socket on the other end, can be bought in a form that resembles a multi coloured ribbon cable. You can leave them intact or just peel off the number of wires you need.

Reg             G4nfr

John Young

I think this is what you are looking for.

John D Young
WA8KNE EM90
ETC USN retired

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 1:36 PM R. Tyson via groups.io <tysons2=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
The interconnect cables, male pin one end and female socket on the other end, can be bought in a form that resembles a multi coloured ribbon cable. You can leave them intact or just peel off the number of wires you need.

Reg             G4nfr

g4edg

Hi

On the face of it these look ideal, but the spacing of the wires in the cable are less than the 0.1 inch spacing of the LCD, and pretty soon the differences add up and the final wire is a real stretch.

I think the picture in the eBay ads are a little misleading.

However the individual wires and connectors are quite useful and at a bargain price.

Steve

John Young

Just tested with 20 leads and no problem with jumpers from mija.com

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020, 13:40 g4edg via groups.io <G4edg=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi

On the face of it these look ideal, but the spacing of the wires in the cable are less than the 0.1 inch spacing of the LCD, and pretty soon the differences add up and the final wire is a real stretch.

I think the picture in the eBay ads are a little misleading.

However the individual wires and connectors are quite useful and at a bargain price.

Steve

John Young

that should be  MPJA.com

John D Young
WA8KNE EM90
ETC USN retired

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 3:00 PM John Young via groups.io <wa8kne=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just tested with 20 leads and no problem with jumpers from mija.com

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020, 13:40 g4edg via groups.io <G4edg=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi

On the face of it these look ideal, but the spacing of the wires in the cable are less than the 0.1 inch spacing of the LCD, and pretty soon the differences add up and the final wire is a real stretch.

I think the picture in the eBay ads are a little misleading.

However the individual wires and connectors are quite useful and at a bargain price.

Steve

James Daldry W4JED

Hi, Steve

Yes, the standard flat cables have the wires at .050 inch spacing and the radio board and display board have the holes at .100 inch spacing. But there are 2 things in your favor. One - the middle 4 connections are not used. You can use 2 six conductor cables for the job. Two - the extra .050 inch between the wires adds up to fanning the ends of the cables out one quarter of an inch. Since you have to strip and tin the ends anyway, separate the wires (they unzip easily) for about a half inch and then strip each one with your tyrannosaurus wire stripper, then apply a little solder to the end so it doesn't unravel. After soldering snip the excess off the back side of the board.

Anyone that has scrapped a few old computers will have plenty of ribbon cable for these kinds of jobs. For this one, the cable that runs from the main board to a serial port (9 or 10 conductor) will work fine. It's usually long enough to cut in half to make the 2 cables. Just zip the extra conductors off one side. In my collection I have scsi cables, ide, mfm/rll, joystick, and floppy drive cables.

Tyrannosaurus wire strippers (the ones that the "business end" looks like a dinosaur head) are available for about $8 on Ebay. Anyone that has had to strip the wire from the pigtail for a 3C509 pcmcia ethernet adapter will really appreciate how the things work.

73

Jim W4JED