Topics

broken ferrite ring

Jon Reck W8REA

    While attempting to de-bur the grey ferrite ring in my newly arrived 50W PA kit (by inserting the tip of my side cutter into it and rotating) I split it in half. Not a good start to this project :-(
    I suppose I could ask Hans to ship me a replacement but if it is available thru Mouser.com or similar online source it would be a lot quicker getting here.
    Anyone know how I would identify it to Mouser? (it is the large grey donut shaped one roughly 5/8" in diameter)
Thanks for your help,
Jon Reck W8REA

Jon Reck W8REA

Or- will it still work if I epoxy it back together? It is a clean break.

Jon Reck W8REA

N3MNT

Probably not

George Korper

Write Hans. It may work with Super Glue held tightly, but it would be better to get a replacement.

In the future, maybe use sandpaper. I have built 10 amps and never deburred this Ferrite ring. It's fragile and I received one broken even in the nice plastic box. All my amps have worked well and no enamel wire was compromised.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020, 8:06 PM N3MNT <bob@...> wrote:
Probably not

Dave

I have used ultra gel “crazy glue” to put ferrites back together and they work well if the gap is minimal.

Dave

On Jun 25, 2020, at 21:14, George Korper <georgekorper@...> wrote:

Write Hans. It may work with Super Glue held tightly, but it would be better to get a replacement.

In the future, maybe use sandpaper. I have built 10 amps and never deburred this Ferrite ring. It's fragile and I received one broken even in the nice plastic box. All my amps have worked well and no enamel wire was compromised.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020, 8:06 PM N3MNT <bob@...> wrote:
Probably not

Bill Cromwell

I haven't done it but the word from those who have - it will work.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 6/25/20 9:20 PM, Dave wrote:
I have used ultra gel “crazy glue” to put ferrites back together and they work well if the gap is minimal.
Dave

On Jun 25, 2020, at 21:14, George Korper <georgekorper@...> wrote:

Write Hans. It may work with Super Glue held tightly, but it would be better to get a replacement.

In the future, maybe use sandpaper. I have built 10 amps and never deburred this Ferrite ring. It's fragile and I received one broken even in the nice plastic box. All my amps have worked well and no enamel wire was compromised.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020, 8:06 PM N3MNT <bob@... <mailto:bob@...>> wrote:

Probably not

Joe WB9SBD

I was gonna say that if a broken one is no longer any good then how do the thousands of split ones sold every day work?

Joe WB9SBD

On 6/25/2020 8:20 PM, Dave wrote:
I have used ultra gel “crazy glue” to put ferrites back together and they work well if the gap is minimal.

Dave

On Jun 25, 2020, at 21:14, George Korper <georgekorper@...> wrote:

Write Hans. It may work with Super Glue held tightly, but it would be better to get a replacement.

In the future, maybe use sandpaper. I have built 10 amps and never deburred this Ferrite ring. It's fragile and I received one broken even in the nice plastic box. All my amps have worked well and no enamel wire was compromised.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020, 8:06 PM N3MNT <bob@...> wrote:
Probably not

@CurtisM

I am thinking the ferrite is a powder held together with a binder, so that a thin layer of adhesive should work. Perhaps you don't have an inductance meter to check it, or a simple circuit to try it.

Wait remember 2 are merely taped together to form a binocular core. I think you can glue it together, the windings will experience the same ferrite interaction.

Curt wb8yyy

Jim Mcilroy

Hi

You should be able to figure it out from this site.

http://toroids.info

On 26/06/2020 01:49, Jon Reck W8REA wrote:
    While attempting to de-bur the grey ferrite ring in my newly arrived 50W PA kit (by inserting the tip of my side cutter into it and rotating) I split it in half. Not a good start to this project :-(
    I suppose I could ask Hans to ship me a replacement but if it is available thru Mouser.com or similar online source it would be a lot quicker getting here.
    Anyone know how I would identify it to Mouser? (it is the large grey donut shaped one roughly 5/8" in diameter)
Thanks for your help,
Jon Reck W8REA

Ben Bangerter, K0IKR

Ferrite material is very brittle.  I use a little emery cloth to smooth the edges, then apply a bit of nail polish.  I prefer a bright pink.

73

73  Ben  K0IKR

David Wilcox

Also don’t drop them on the floor. They shatter.

David J. Wilcox K8WPE’s iPad

On Jun 25, 2020, at 7:49 PM, Jon Reck W8REA <jonathan.p.reck@...> wrote:

    While attempting to de-bur the grey ferrite ring in my newly arrived 50W PA kit (by inserting the tip of my side cutter into it and rotating) I split it in half. Not a good start to this project :-(
    I suppose I could ask Hans to ship me a replacement but if it is available thru Mouser.com or similar online source it would be a lot quicker getting here.
    Anyone know how I would identify it to Mouser? (it is the large grey donut shaped one roughly 5/8" in diameter)
Thanks for your help,
Jon Reck W8REA

David Wilcox

I have also seen them wrapped with Teflon plumbers tape and then wrapped with the wire.  It protects the wire from the sharp edges.

David J. Wilcox K8WPE’s iPad

On Jun 26, 2020, at 5:38 AM, Ben Bangerter, K0IKR via groups.io <bwbangerter@...> wrote:

Ferrite material is very brittle.  I use a little emery cloth to smooth the edges, then apply a bit of nail polish.  I prefer a bright pink.

73

<E751140B-5DDD-4C4C-9BAE-F94101A19307.jpeg>

73  Ben  K0IKR

Mike

When you _Want_ to split a core, for whatever reason, you usually end up
splitting it into fragments be happy and make an RF current meter clamp.

Or, stick it back together with the minimum of minimum gap, It should be
reletivly unaffected by its partial demise.

On 25 Jun 2020 at 17:49, Jon Reck W8REA wrote:

While attempting to de-bur the grey ferrite ring in my newly arrived 50W PA
kit (by inserting the tip of my side cutter into it and rotating) I split it
in half. Not a good start to this project :-(
I suppose I could ask Hans to ship me a replacement but if it is available
thru Mouser.com or similar online source it would be a lot quicker getting
here.
Anyone know how I would identify it to Mouser? (it is the large grey donut
shaped one roughly 5/8" in diameter)
Thanks for your help,
Jon Reck W8REA

Jon Reck W8REA

Once again this group has been extremely helpful. Thank you. So many useful suggestions.
I'm going to glue it back together with Locktite Ultra Gel and proceed with building the kit. If that works, great. If not I'll get a replacement from Hans.

Jon Reck W8REA

Arv Evans

It is interesting that many feel a ferrite toroid core is conductive.
Try connecting your ohm meter across a toroid core to see just how
conductive or non-conductive it might be.
_._

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 7:14 PM George Korper <georgekorper@...> wrote:
Write Hans. It may work with Super Glue held tightly, but it would be better to get a replacement.

In the future, maybe use sandpaper. I have built 10 amps and never deburred this Ferrite ring. It's fragile and I received one broken even in the nice plastic box. All my amps have worked well and no enamel wire was compromised.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020, 8:06 PM N3MNT <bob@...> wrote:
Probably not

Dave

A ferrite is conductive of magnetic flux, and air gaps do reduce the flux, which is sometimes desirable. The gap left in a repaired core is ideally very narrow, so it’s impact will be low.

Dave

On Jun 26, 2020, at 09:32, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

It is interesting that many feel a ferrite toroid core is conductive.
Try connecting your ohm meter across a toroid core to see just how
conductive or non-conductive it might be.
_._

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 7:14 PM George Korper <georgekorper@...> wrote:
Write Hans. It may work with Super Glue held tightly, but it would be better to get a replacement.

In the future, maybe use sandpaper. I have built 10 amps and never deburred this Ferrite ring. It's fragile and I received one broken even in the nice plastic box. All my amps have worked well and no enamel wire was compromised.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020, 8:06 PM N3MNT <bob@...> wrote:
Probably not

Jon Reck W8REA

Just in case someone has a similar issue, I can report that gluing the ring back together with Locktite Ultra Gel worked just fine. The kit is assembled and works well.

Jon Reck W8REA

Bill Cromwell

Hi Jon,

Over the years a number of other radio amateurs have reported success and I am sure I saw this repair in an ARRL publication. I have no memory of anybody reporting a failure when gluing them back together. In any case there is nothing to lose by trying it.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 7/2/20 11:38 AM, Jon Reck W8REA wrote:
Just in case someone has a similar issue, I can report that gluing the ring back together with Locktite Ultra Gel worked just fine. The kit is assembled and works well.
Jon Reck W8REA

Dave

There is the distinct possibility of glueing the ferrite ring to one or more fingers! Failing that, yes they can be put back together, unlike Humpty Dumpty.

Thanks for letting us know it worked for you!

Dave

On Jul 2, 2020, at 12:20, Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@...> wrote:

Hi Jon,

Over the years a number of other radio amateurs have reported success and I am sure I saw this repair in an ARRL publication. I have no memory of anybody reporting a failure when gluing them back together. In any case there is nothing to lose by trying it.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 7/2/20 11:38 AM, Jon Reck W8REA wrote:
Just in case someone has a similar issue, I can report that gluing the ring back together with Locktite Ultra Gel worked just fine. The kit is assembled and works well.
Jon Reck W8REA

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

Glued fingers makes good television entertainment. I have used enough of it to get my fingertips glued. That has been trivial with no injury or pain. Do NOT get it someplace like your eye! Eye protection is always apropos in the shop. With power tools you also want hearing and respiratory protection.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more