Lakes On The Air?

Jim Strohm

Too hot?

Well, it's 50F today in Texas (Austin) and it's TOO COLD!

So I'm staying inside too.

73
Jim N6OTQ

On Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 1:38 PM Leland L. Bahr <w5drc@...> wrote:

Life's too short to operate outside in Texas. You guys can do it, I'll just stay inside and watch Jerry Springer on TV.

Lee, w0vt

Leland L. Bahr

Life's too short to operate outside in Texas.  You guys can do it, I'll just stay inside and watch Jerry Springer on TV.

Lee, w0vt

On 11/30/2022 10:01 PM, jjpurdum via groups.io wrote:

Oh, come on, Lee. POTA, SOTA, and IOTA all expect you to leave your house. How hard is it to walk 201' from your house and operate your QCX? If things are that hot in TX most of the year, do a LOTA sometime during the rest of the year. If you can't leave your house and air conditioning, then don't do a LOTA.

Jack, W8TEE

Richard Hattaway

Did QST just have a note about boats on the air ?? BOTA... Some guys set up something in the SF Bay as I remember and were illustrating the value of another OTA.

Dick

W4PID

jjpurdum

Yep...off the rails...

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, November 30, 2022 at 11:58:40 PM EST, VA3NCA Wayde via groups.io <wayde@...> wrote:

I vote for AOTA , Air on the Air. (Stick with me, now...) Operate from aircraft, hot air balloon, parachute ( #HiCarlos ), or Trebuchet (briefly). Exchange is signal report, Gridsquare, and altitude above terrain... :-D

jjpurdum

Hi Jim:

I would love it if you'd start the ball rolling. I would not want to "force" the rule of actually being on the water, as that might force some people who want to participate into buying some (unsafe) inflatable watercraft. Rather, I would like to see some measure "from the water's edge" being used as the criteria. Most of the others rules could be adopted from other OTA's.

When the T41 project ends, I can do some programming although I haven't done much web programming since a lot of it is done in Java, and I'm not a fan. (Java is C with training wheels.)

I think the first order of business is to register a web site and draw up a set of "rules" for an activation. Keep me posted on your plans.

Jack, W8TEE

On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 01:15:32 AM EST, Jim Manley <jim.manley.mscs@...> wrote:

Hi Jack, et al,

My resend attempts have all failed and I now realize that it’s the Groups.io e-mail reply formatter that’s screwing me, not (just?) GMail.  However, what do I expect for “free” (not counting the buck-two-eighty value of my personal information!)?

The software developers at those places each get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, but given the lack of visible changes, let alone improvements, in their services for upwards of a decade-plus, I have to ask what, exactly, they’re being paid to do?

Anywaaay, Lakes(/Waterways?) On The Air suggests to me being _on_ a lake/waterway, along with the public interface being paramount in POTA and SOTA.  However, most boaters aren’t usually very interested in other boats being in proximity, especially if they’re near their favorite secret fishing spots.  Another problematic situation is when someone is into waterskiing at the time, and maxed-out boat racing would be a real challenge!

I suppose the 19th-hole equivalent in boating is around boat docks/ramps, at least for those who haven’t yet made too big a dent in the contents of their coolers.  A fortunate coincidence is that the largest fishing poles are often used to deploy portable antennas in remote environments, especially for SOTA, where practitioners are often thousands of feet in elevation above treelines.  I can see a L/WOTA participant deployed on a craft that would put a Soviet/Russian signals intercept “trawler” to shame!

Being the salty nautical dude that I am with well over half a century of boating and shipboard deployments all over the planet, long and deep experience developing and operating large data collection and processing systems (you may have heard of someplace nicknamed No Such Agency), and lots of experience in data sources for terrain and waterways mapping, charting, and geodesy (which covers natural and human-made lakes, rivers, canals, etc.), I’ll volunteer to kick off the L/WOTA community infrastructure.  I’ll talk to fellow POTA and SOTA organization folks for shortcuts and other pointers to help achieve rapid success.

Is that enough penance for my cute reply to your original question, Jack?

Jim  KJ7JHE

William Smith

Time spent on the water is not deducted from your lifespan.  8*)

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Dec 1, 2022, at 2:55 AM, Yannig - F4IUJ via groups.io <F4IUJ@...> wrote:

I think you should get extra points for operating physically on the water!

Yannig - F4IUJ

On Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 04:56 AM, KK4ITX John wrote:
Mind is wandering here..... get away from OTA and got to HOTW “Ham On The Water”,  that way some of the larger rivers could also be used..... thinking Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Connecticut and so many others, as long as you’re 50ft from shore, you’re in.....

Ham on the water would work better here in Brittany as we have lot of creeks that would qualify whereas we don't have many lakes.

I think you should get extra points for operating physically on the water!

73

Yannig F4IUJ

Jim Manley

[...]

VA3NCA Wayde

I vote for AOTA , Air on the Air. (Stick with me, now...) Operate from aircraft, hot air balloon, parachute ( #HiCarlos ), or Trebuchet (briefly). Exchange is signal report, Gridsquare, and altitude above terrain... :-D

Jim Manley

[ The second resend attempt failed with the same ellipses-contents-hiding behavior.  It occurred to me that it might be due to my siggy including the Morse animated GIF for 73.  So, here’s yet-another resend attempt with the AGIF, as well as the reply-formatting text, removed.

I did just see that you were able to read my reply, Richard, so this is now A Quest to Debug Google … yeah, I know, good luck, since all bugs they generate are “features”.   Thanks for bearing with me to anyone inconvenienced. ]

Hi Richard,

In order to activate a POTA park, it has to be registered by the regional POTA mapping representative (by state in the U.S.).  In your case in Washington State, that would be Danny Boyd, KJ7BPN.

The list of U.S. mapping representatives is at:

https://parksontheair.com and clicking on the U. S. Mapping Representatives menu item (fourth item down)

Here’s the contents of entire current list of all U.S. mapping representatives:

  • AK - Alan Sorum - WL7CG
  • AL - David Guthrie - KN4OK
  • AR – Eddie Daniel - W5LST
  • AZ – Ken Blasor – N7KB
  • CA - Tracy Lenocker - WM6T
  • CO - Sharon Agun - KC0PBR
  • CT – Steven Veci - NK1V
  • DC-Territories – Christopher Dean - K3MTO
  • DE - Sean Pyne - W4BKR
  • FL – Justin Sligh – KN4MQR
  • GA - Claude Ray - AC4SH
  • HI - Tracy Lenocker - WM6T
  • IA - Pat Rundall - N0HR
  • ID - Scott Burgess - W7IMC
  • IL - Ken Curry - KB9KC
  • IN - Kevin Duffy - WQ9F
  • KS - Rick Parent - W0ZAP
  • KY - Tom Sorrell - N4HZX
  • LA - Scott Hernandez – KD5PCK
  • MA - Pete Knapp - KN8PPY
  • MD - Jason Schultz - KC3LTS
  • ME - James Gallo - KB2FMH
  • MI - Julie Martin - WT8J
  • MN - Wayne Oliver - K0WLO
  • MO - John Ford - AB0O (LEAD)
  • MT - Nolan Taylor - K0HAA
  • MS - Tom Suggs - N4MTE
  • NC - Mike Prevatte - KN4XP
  • ND - Richard Harkins - W0FH
  • NE – Denis Svechkarev – K8UA
  • NH – Glen Sansoucie – W1ND
  • NJ - Steve Rosman - KA2YRA
  • NM - Mark Gibson - N4MQU
  • NV - Marc Hutchins - K8MH
  • NY - Karl Heinz Kremer - K5KHK
  • OH - Kevin Culp - KZ3L
  • OK - Richard Harkins - W0FH
  • OR - Kim Owen - W7PCT
  • PA – Peter Kobak – K0BAK
  • RI - Steven Veci - NK1V
  • SC - John Satterfield - KK4JS
  • SD - Eric Stoddert - K8ERS
  • TN - Tom Suggs - N4MTE
  • TX – John Jeffers - W3GYV
  • UT - Val Hanney - KN7D
  • VA - Sean Pyne - W4BKR
  • VT - Ryan Tourge - N2YQT
  • WA - Danny Boyd - KJ7BPN
  • WI - Ryan McKenzie - K9ZIE
  • WV - Brian Boyles - KE8LGO
  • WY - Val Hanney - KN7D

Jim W2JC

On 30 Nov 2022 at 21:43, Leland L. Bahr wrote:

In Texas things get HOT most of the
year.  We live in air conditioning
almost all the time.
So nobody operates POTA outdoors in Texas?

Part of the idea of all these -OTA awards
is to get us hams OFF OUR COZY DUFFS and
out into the fresh air, and to show off ham radio
in public places.

Al Sines

If we include other than lakes how about On The Water -  On The Air

Alan, W3AL

On Nov 30, 2022, at 22:56, KK4ITX John via groups.io <jleahy00@...> wrote:

Mind is wandering here..... get away from OTA and got to HOTW “Ham On The Water”,  that way some of the larger rivers could also be used..... thinking Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Connecticut and so many others, as long as you’re 50ft from shore, you’re in.....
HI.

The numerical listing would be enormous using the 2 letter state and a sequential number.  The body of water would have to be “officially named” and a number associated with it.  I would think that each state would have a database of waterways that could be downloaded and assigned a sequential number using a spreadsheet.

Those in the North Country could use the Winter Season to access the water without a boat otherwise one would require a watercraft of some sort in addition to a QCX-Mini and small loop ?

Sounds like a plan to me Jack !

John
KK4ITX

Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   👁

On Nov 30, 2022, at 22:12, jjpurdum via groups.io <jjpurdum@...> wrote:

Richard:

Perhaps that should be the criteria: If the lake is named on a gov't-issued map, it qualifies. Setting up a database would actually be fairly simple. People who want to add the lake to the DB simply send in the map that names it. There are a number of programs online that interactively give you Lon/Lat on a map, and the approximate center of the lake would have it coordinates enter into the DB. That would grow as the number of people get involved submitting lakes. The real work is keeping track of who worked which lake. It's very doable, but a lot of work after the DB is built.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, November 30, 2022 at 07:30:09 PM EST, Richard AG5M via groups.io <ag5m@...> wrote:

Interesting idea. But why make it so complicated trying figure out area? If the body of water has an official name, this or that lake, then call it a lake, regardless of size. Back east, Midwest, there are BIG lakes. But out here in the west, with a few notable exceptions, lakes tend to be much smaller. Some folks back east might even consider them big ponds. Still, a lake is a lake, if it has an official name. Witness Tea Pot Lake in Utah. Beautiful, but it does not take very long to walk around it. I for one would like to see such a thing as LOTA. Just more fun for everyone. But goodness, who is going to track all that and how? A little beyond my pay grade.

I'd like to see more parks too, but it's the same "volume" problem. I'd like to "officially" activate our local "Leslie Groves Park" - https://www.nps.gov/places/leslie-groves-park.htm, a few blocks from my house, in honor of General Leslie R. Groves, the US Army officer in charge of the Manhattan Project during WWII. But it does not make the list. Anyway... Just my 2-cents. Sorry for the bandwidth. 73, Richard AG5M

On Wednesday, November 30, 2022, 01:08:03 PM PST, jjpurdum via groups.io <jjpurdum@...> wrote:

I must admit, I've never heard of these until now!

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, November 30, 2022 at 03:05:33 PM EST, Donald S Brant Jr <dsbrantjr@...> wrote:

On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 01:59 PM, Peter Lascell wrote:
Trying to determine the acreage of a lake may be the hardest part to see if it meets the criteria.

Just pull out your trusty planimeter, all of the cool kids have them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planimeter
Available at a fraction of new cost:  https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2495737.m570.l2632&_nkw=planimeter&_sacat=412
Of course there are online versions:  https://acme.com/planimeter/
73, Don N2VGU

Jim Manley

[ Here’s another attempt at a reply, since the test resend resulted in the same ellipses-content-hiding behavior.  This time, I’m only sending the contents without any of the reply-formatting text. ]

[...]

On Wednesday, November 30, 2022 at 10:43:30 PM EST, Leland L. Bahr <w5drc@...> wrote:

Why would you limit operating 50 foot from the lake as a Criteria?  I live on Lake Livingston in Texas which has 450 miles of shore line.  My house is set back approximately 250 foot from the waters edge.  In my estimation, 50 foot would disqualify MANY home stations that are actually lake property.  I have friends that have lake property and their houses  are set back around 400 foot from the lake.  50 foot would require operating outside the home.  In Texas things get HOT most of the year.  We live in air conditioning almost all the time.   In my estimation, operating 50 foot from the waters edge is too limiting.  That's OK for campers but for those actually living on a lake the idea is too restrictive.  (Maybe some feel 50 foot is too great and you need to be operating out of a boat in the lake!)

Lee, w0vt

On 11/30/2022 9:12 PM, jjpurdum via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Curt:

I didn't limit it to natural lakes...there are none in Ohio. However, we have a boatload of man-made lakes that are on gov't maps. There are lots of places in the US where I would think SOTA would be difficult (Kansas, Nebraska ??), but that's no reason to nix SOTA activation for hams in those states. Also, I did not suggest using a boat. Indeed, in my initial post I suggested operating within 50' of the lake, or some reasonable distance from the shoreline. As to the rig, I would think a LOTA activation would be easier than a SOTA activation. Some lakes have boat launching ramps, so you could drive your car to the ramp and operate from the comfort of your car if you want to. Such an activation would be as easy as a POTA activation.

If the only rig you have is a 1500W xcvr, LOTA would be difficult. But, since you're on the QRP Labs site, you probably have one of Hans QCX family, so rig constraints are probably minimal.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, November 30, 2022 at 10:39:33 PM EST, Curt wb8yyy via groups.io <wb8yyy@...> wrote:

Jack

There are lots of places around without lake, particularly if we limit ourselves to natural lakes. I am thinking zero here in Maryland, perhaps also zero natural lakes in nearby states. Oh many man-made ones, now how to define them as many of these have at least one stream inlet and outlet. Okay there are places without summits, but here in US most states have them. Oh one needs a boat, plus a rig to do LOTA. A bit easier to activate a park.

Curt

KK4ITX John

[...]

[  I don’t know if it’s coming out the same on non-GMail e-mail clients, but the contents of my replies are substituted by ellipses (…) unless you know to click on them to expand the contents to be able to see them.  I’m attempting to resend the contents without the ellipses, both in non-indented as well as indented formats.  I have no idea what it will look like until after it’s sent, so please ignore this if you’ve already been able to read it. ]

On Wednesday, November 30, 2022, 01:08:03 PM PST, jjpurdum via groups.io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Curt wb8yyy