Toroid values #toroid

kf7rcm@yahoo.com

Where is this chart of toroid values that Hans put together?
I'd like to get a look at it.

Alan G4ZFQ

On 28/06/2022 06:39, kf7rcm via groups.io wrote:
Where is this chart of toroid values that Hans put together?
I'd like to get a look at it.
Referring to what QRPLabs model?

73 Alan G4ZFQ

kf7rcm@yahoo.com

QCX+ 20 and 40 meters.

kf7rcm@yahoo.com

40 meters because that is the radio I am dealing with right now, 20 meters because I have one coming and need the information before I build it.

Ronald Taylor

Wayne, those values are in the charts in the sections of the instruction manual that deal with winding the toroids. So you'll have the needed info when you get to that stage of construction of the new one. And you can refer there for the info on the existing one. Hope that helps.

Ron

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 12:18 PM kf7rcm via groups.io <kf7rcm=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
40 meters because that is the radio I am dealing with right now, 20 meters because I have one coming and need the information before I build it.

Evan Hand

The build manual contains the toroid material, number of turns, and corresponding inductance.  For example, L2 is on page 72 of the rev1_04 of the manual.   L1 and L3 are on page 73 of the manual.  The others are on other pages (L4 on page 70).

You can always go to:
https://toroids.info/
And look up the material and then input the number of turns to get the inductance value.  If you want the inductance values for the individual sections on T1, you will need to do this for each section.

73
Evan
AC9TU

rentwist@...

Hi Evan,

I am here to tell you from first hand experience, the values given by that calculator are way off, The real inductance comes out considerably higher.  The only good way to know the inductance of a wound toroid is to measure it with a VNA.

73,

Robert, WA2T

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 03:41 PM, Evan Hand wrote:
You can always go to:
https://toroids.info/
And look up the material and then input the number of turns to get the inductance value.  If you want the inductance values for the individual sections on T1, you will need to do this for each section.

73
Evan
AC9TU

kf7rcm@yahoo.com

Yes they are and it does.
I should call it a day earlier than working on it until 01:00 and asking obvious questions.
I appreciate the response,
Wayne/KF7RCM.

Evan Hand

Hi Robert,

I guess that we will need to disagree to some extent.  I agree that the value can differ depending on how it is wound, including spacing.  If you check the charts from Hans, the values mostly agree, at least within a normal tolerance of 10%.  Some values are lower, some higher.  I use an LC meter that has been checked to be accurate enough for my needs when assembling to tweak the coil before I solder it into the circuit.  Using the calculator from the company that makes the toroid would be better, as any discrepancies in the mix should be incorporated into the calculation.

I have not tried the multi-winding toroids, as I have not had to go back and do an LTspice simulation on any of those circuits.  This could have a large discrepancy as the winding would be squeezed together to make room for the other winding increasing the effective inductance.  Maybe that is the reason for your comment.

Each person may have different experiences that guide them to different conclusions.  That is OK, as long as we respect the other point of view.  I will share my experience, not try to force my ideas on you.  I am also open to feedback that I can use to get different points of view.
73
Evan
AC9TU

James Daldry W4JED

All the inductance values of all the toroids are in your manual. You did use the manual, didn't you?

Jim W4JED

On 6/28/22 15:03, kf7rcm via groups.io wrote:

QCX+ 20 and 40 meters.

kf7rcm@yahoo.com

Manual?

:-)