Question: Post in this thread the farthest distance you have had a QSO with any of these kits and under what condx. #amazing #contest #power #poll #qcx

kf7rcm@yahoo.com

Tell me:
Distance.....
Time of day.....
Band condx.....
Antenna type and set up
and
Which radio?

Larry Christensen

5,000 miles
Afternoon (last year)
Band good
6-160 OCF
QCX+ 20

Larry NA0F

Larry VE7EA

11,255 km (VE7 to ZL2)
late morning
good cndx, 17m
40-15m doublet, up 12m, during SOTA
QCX+ Mini, 4W
southern Vancouver Island to North Island, NZ

kf7rcm@yahoo.com

SWEET!

David R. Hassall WA5DJJ

Dear  Larry,
distance  New Mexico to Japan (5 Times on the same day) and they all called me answering my CQ
Early morning  40M
Band was Average
Butternut Vertical Ground mounted with 16 20 foot radials (Lousy Sand ground here in the desert)
QDX rev 1 FT8 40M  4watts out.
The little Digital radio really works well all the time.
73
Dave WA5DJJ

Jim Strohm

Austin TX to Kodiak Island AK, one watt LSB 40M with an HF6V vertical antenna.

I was protesting miles per watt.

Jim N6OTQ

On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 5:29 PM David R. Hassall WA5DJJ <dhassall@...> wrote:
Dear  Larry,
distance  New Mexico to Japan (5 Times on the same day) and they all called me answering my CQ
Early morning  40M
Band was Average
Butternut Vertical Ground mounted with 16 20 foot radials (Lousy Sand ground here in the desert)
QDX rev 1 FT8 40M  4watts out.
The little Digital radio really works well all the time.
73
Dave WA5DJJ

Curt wb8yyy

Op kf7rcm

Each s meter unit is roughly 6 dB or a factor of 4 in power. So if 100 watts makes S9, 25 watts makes S8, 8 watts makes S7. So if you get a feel for the math, it's possible to reach far with few watts.

Propagation and noise get into the mix. Also how good the antenna is on the other end.

0.3 watt cw I worked Bosnia from Maryland on 30m using wire antenna and a much simpler rig than the qcx.

Once I worked P2 down under on 10m ssb from my car using a 3 foot whip.  Supposedly the rig did 25 watts but figuring loss of that tiny whip it was easily under 5 watts when compared to a dipole antenna.

Curt

Martin DK3UW

too lazy to look it up in the log but VK and JA werde the best I got from near Hamburg on 20 m and GP antenna.
On 40 m W, VE and UA0

Martin
DK3UW

Dean, N2TNN

6-20-22

FT-8

11,625 miles
23:43 Z
super wide open
53' sloper
QDX  3.3 watts on 7.075

reports were:
-14 and -15

Virginia to Perth Austrailia

Al Holt

Distance: 5,221 mi. EL89 to JN97 (Florida, USA to Hungary)
Date: June 14, 2022
Time: 0130 UTC or 2130 EDT
Band: 40m
Mode: FT8
Condx: normal
Antenna: 90' Doublet, ~30' AGL orientation: SE/NW
Radio: QDX V3
Report Sent: +13
Report Received: -15

Bob Cutter

QCX-mini 5600 mi., 40M CW UT to JA, CQWW 2021. 120’ long wire+tuner.

72, Bob KI0G

Date: June 14, 2022
Time: 0130 UTC or 2130 EDT
Band: 40m
Mode: FT8
Condx: normal
Antenna: 90' Doublet, ~30' AGL orientation: SE/NW
Radio: QDX V3
Report Sent: +13
Report Received: -15

Jim Strohm

Here's another one ...

Numerous evenings in early 1989 from Austin TX, a mile away from my current QTH

HB 5 el 10M beam optimized to NBS specs on 16-foot mast, but not matched to feed line, extremely low angle of takeoff from a conveniently situated grassy knoll.  Crappy SWR, but not as bad as the incoming JA-land QRM when they heard my 5-watt N6 call come booming in.

Radio Shack HTX-100, 5 watts 10M USB, usually less output due to SWR foldback

S-9 into NZ and Oz, VK-land every night for about two weeks, armchair copy just like talking on the CB.  Condx were so good that we didn't even ask about exchanging cards because I was always there, always loud, night after night -- or in their case, morning after morning.

We moved, I placed the antenna onto a new tower, and lost it in a violent thunderstorm a month after I re-stacked it.

I miss those days, those DX condx, the wonderful antenna made from scavenged junk, the $60 tower on the $300 cubic yard of concrete base (I still have the base and will repurpose it this year), and specially being young enough to safely jump off the roof when I was done working on the tower.

Oh yeah, there's a back story about digging the hole for the tower base, but it includes too much drugs, sex, and geology to tell here.  Wait for my memoirs.

73
Jim N6OTQ

Mike KK7ER

First QCX+ contact:
4829 miles (WA, USA to Japan)
200pm
good condx
70ft wire (inverted vee config) + 1:9 unun + tuner
QCX+ 20m barefoot

Longest QCX+ contact:
6953 miles (WA, USA to New Zealand)
930am PDT
good condx
70ft wire (inverted vee config) + 1:9 unun + tuner
QCX+ 20m barefoot

73, Mike KK7ER

Mark

4500 miles