160 propagation shift with full moon

George Korper

Hi All,
For the last two months I have noticed a shift in 160 WSPR
on the full moon. On these occasions I am spotted in HI in the early morning, but not in Eastern US. Obviously much more data is required. My 'second sun' theory may just be sheer lunacy, HiHi. Comments please.
73,
K3GK

George Korper

See attachment

Albert Tatlock's Greatest Hits - Vol 1

George Korper

Funny, but there is no blame.
It's a good thing!

Roelof Bakker

Hello George,

60 years ago, I was active as SWL chasing DX on 80m.
At full moon, propagation was always better.

The last 20 years I have been chasing NDB's on long wave and believe it or not, the same
phenomenon was found over and over again.

If I remember correct this has been discussed in QST long ago with no clear outcome.

73,
Roelof, pa0rdt

Roelof Bakker

George,

Thanks for the article on Moon Phase and propagation
I have not seen it before.

There is also an enhancement at the onset of a geomagnetic storm.
Before the Kyoto Dst value drops, indicating a geomagnetic storm, it shows a fast rise and
during this time propagation is enhanced.

73,
Roelof, pa0rdt

M0PWX

Signals reflecting off the “iron chicken” 😊

Peter

M0PWX

M0PWX Grabber Page (qsl.net)

I blame the Clangers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok6CoIwcJ-E

_._,_._,_

On Sat, May 14, 2022 at 07:39 PM, M0PWX wrote:
Signals reflecting off the “iron chicken” 😊
That's the one ;-)

Al Sines

George,

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

73, Alan, W3AL

On May 14, 2022, at 08:36, George Korper <georgekorper@...> wrote:

See attachment

Mark

For some reason, the Clangers resonate with me.  I feel I am dropping down a dark path leading to SWR ratios greater than infinity.

73!  Mark K9TR

W2BEE

I feel somewhat the same about the Clangers. The character is a blend of a mouse and an anteater IMHO. 73, W2BEE

On Sat, May 14, 2022 at 4:26 PM Mark <venchant@...> wrote:
For some reason, the Clangers resonate with me.  I feel I am dropping down a dark path leading to SWR ratios greater than infinity.

73!  Mark K9TR

George Korper

TNX AL, Pud and Rusty, mentioned stuff like this at LARC,
so it goes way back. Very happy to hear Hans will offer a QDX for 160. From what I see it may be an exciting activity
and we will open topics on receive enhancement. I have a SotaBeam WolfWave and I think it is amazing. You may have one, but if you don't consider it. You will be pleased.

Albert Tatlock's Greatest Hits - Vol 1

On Sat, May 14, 2022 at 07:39 PM, M0PWX wrote:
Signals reflecting off the “iron chicken” 😊
And how do Clangers get high ?

By chasing the Soup Dragon ;-)

M0PWX

Groan !!!!

Do you write xmas cracker jokes as your day job andy 😊

Peter

M0PWX

M0PWX Grabber Page (qsl.net)

On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 12:27 AM, M0PWX wrote:

Groan !!!!

Do you write xmas cracker jokes as your day job

I sell them by the punnet.

Curt wb8yyy

George

I suggest more data as something could be in play. The moon is a tiny target for radio. But it gives quite a pull on the oceans. So perhaps it may tug ions, maybe mostly the D layer. Keep up the science. If all else fails, email kl7aj who studies ions, check arrl book list to see if I remember call correct.

Curt

Mike KK7ER

Curt,

You got it right.
KL7AJ wrote this book https://www.amazon.com/Propagation-Radio-Science-ARRL-Inc/dp/1625950276/.
I recommend it too.

73, Mike KK7ER

Curt wb8yyy

Yep I have it here. A different writing style than I expected, wish I had my texts like that in college. Stay a bit mystified with the ionosphere.

Curt