QDX Terminal Emulator Setting-up PuTTY #qdx

Mike Easterbrook

QDX is built. Rx /Tx working. RF output slightly low:

9V supply, no reverse polarity protection diode (yet):
20m 4.5W Est. Efficiency 66%
30m 4.5W Est. Efficiency 54%
40m 4.4W Est. Efficiency 63%
80m 4.4W Est. Efficiency 64%

Original QDX - Firmware 1.03 - only mod is feeding 3.3v regulator from the 5v line

Trying to look at the filter performance but have had no success in getting PuTTY started, let alone working.  I have been following Hans' instructions in the QDX manual but always get stuck at "serial line .... /dev/ttyACM1"  point.

I note that my Putty config screen differs bit from the one in the manual is this relevant?

I am in need of a point-by-point instruction list for PuTTY like Hans' construction instructions for the kit build itself.  I reckon I understand less than 10 % of the PuTTY instructions I have been able to find so far. Anyone out there got the patience to do this or point me to where I can find this.

Thanks Mike 9V1LX

Mike,

"COM1" is a Windows serial port, while "/dev/ttyACM1" is a Linux serial port.
Let's start here: what OS are you using ?

--
Julian, N4JO.

Alan G4ZFQ

On 18/03/2022 13:59, Julian N4JO wrote:
Mike,
"COM1" is a Windows serial port, while "/dev/ttyACM1" is a Linux serial port.
Yes, as far as I recall and that is about the only difference. Hans' instructions work in Windows.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Mike Easterbrook

OS is W10

COM is (I think) what it defaulted to at startup.

/dev/ttyACM etc is per instructions in manual

Mike

On Fri, 18 Mar 2022, 21:59 Julian N4JO, <n4jo@...> wrote:
Mike,

"COM1" is a Windows serial port, while "/dev/ttyACM1" is a Linux serial port.
Let's start here: what OS are you using ?

--
Julian, N4JO.

Mark N8MH

Hi Mike, since you're using Windows, you can forget about the references to Linux ports, such as this "/dev/ttyACM1" or similar.  It's going to be COMx, where x is specific to the QDX in your system.

What is the COM port that shows up when you plug in the QDX and disappears when you unplug it? (and use the power to do this, not the USB cable...).

All you really need is to figure out what is the COM port number for the QDX, select that in Putty, leave baud at 9600, and then click "open".  That should give you a terminal window to the QDX.  It's actually simpler than the directions appear...

Mark N8MH

Jim Lentz

Watch in Device Manager under com ports to see which com port the QDX is using.

Mike Easterbrook

Hi Mark, Alan
Thanks for the guidance.  Spent a good few hours over the last two days jumping between device manager and USB Hub Tree.  The Tree was showing connections to QDX but with errors. Device manager was identifying ports which didn't disappear on unplugging!  Was very reminiscent of way-back Windows 7 days having to identify and select different USB ports every time I needed to print or scan something.

Anyway, in the end I did yet another check of what QDX was connected to with WSJT-X.  It was showing COM3, same as USB Tree, went back to Device Manager, which initially also identified COM3 but not allowing PuTTY and then suddenly identified COM6 which had not been showing before.

Don't understand the progression but happy to find that PuTTY and and QDX are now both OK with COM6 and this has so far been retained through a couple of power cycles.

Now to look at and try to understand the sweeps.

Thanks again for the support.

Mike 9V1LX