Photo PowerModsSM.jpg uploaded #photo-notice

QRPLabs@groups.io Notification <noreply@...>

The following photos have been uploaded to the QDXPowerMod album of the QRPLabs@groups.io group.

By: Dave VE3GSO <VE3GSO@...>

Harry Latterman

Since I have a few 78M05 I suppose I should wack off the tab and do this.   Or not... Comments would be appreciated. The mod, to me, is super simple.

73 Harry K7ZOV

Dave VE3GSO

I should have mentioned that the body of the 78M05 aligns quite nicely with the edge of the PC board, and the tab sticks over.  I origionally thought that this might be good, as it could ground the back case panel, and maybe the whole case.  As is the metal case is not grounded to the PCB.  But in the end I used a fine flat file to remove the tab flush with the board, to remove strain of the back panel pushing on the regulator tab.

Dave

Paul AI4EE

I would appreciate specific instructions on how to view this jpg. All I get is the Groups.IO home page.

Thanx, AI4EE

On 1/3/2022 2:26 PM, QRPLabs@groups.io Notification wrote:

The following photos have been uploaded to the QDXPowerMod album of the QRPLabs@groups.io group.

By: Dave VE3GSO <VE3GSO@...>

Dave VE3GSO

Log into your groups.io account, chose the QRP-Labs group, down the left side of the screen you will see a selection, including messages, files, and photos. Click on photos and when that page loads, find and click on the QDX power mod image, click on the photo for a full screen image plus the description.

Dave

On Jan 3, 2022, at 15:44, Paul AI4EE <nadie1943@...> wrote:

I would appreciate specific instructions on how to view this jpg. All I get is the Groups.IO home page.

Thanx, AI4EE

On 1/3/2022 2:26 PM, QRPLabs@groups.io Notification wrote:

The following photos have been uploaded to the QDXPowerMod album of the QRPLabs@groups.io group.

By: Dave VE3GSO <VE3GSO@...>

wa8yan.radio

Couldn't it just be an attachment ?  Just askin'.

Log into your groups.io account, chose the QRP-Labs group, down the left side of the screen you will see a selection, including messages, files, and photos. Click on photos and when that page loads, find and click on the QDX power mod image, click on the photo for a full screen image plus the description.

Dave

On Jan 3, 2022, at 15:44, Paul AI4EE <nadie1943@...> wrote:

I would appreciate specific instructions on how to view this jpg. All I get is the Groups.IO home page.

Thanx, AI4EE

On 1/3/2022 2:26 PM, QRPLabs@groups.io Notification wrote:

The following photos have been uploaded to the QDXPowerMod album of the QRPLabs@groups.io group.

By: Dave VE3GSO <VE3GSO@...>

Roy Appleton

Real simple, it gets lost in the tens of thousands of meaningless posts!

Roy
WA0YMH

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022, 7:27 PM wa8yan.radio via groups.io <wa8yan.radio=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Couldn't it just be an attachment ?  Just askin'.

Log into your groups.io account, chose the QRP-Labs group, down the left side of the screen you will see a selection, including messages, files, and photos. Click on photos and when that page loads, find and click on the QDX power mod image, click on the photo for a full screen image plus the description.

Dave

On Jan 3, 2022, at 15:44, Paul AI4EE <nadie1943@...> wrote:

I would appreciate specific instructions on how to view this jpg. All I get is the Groups.IO home page.

Thanx, AI4EE

On 1/3/2022 2:26 PM, QRPLabs@groups.io Notification wrote:

The following photos have been uploaded to the QDXPowerMod album of the QRPLabs@groups.io group.

By: Dave VE3GSO <VE3GSO@...>

William Smith

Or, log into your groups.io account, and then go back to your mail and click on the link again.

On Jan 3, 2022, at 4:56 PM, Dave VE3GSO <VE3GSO@...> wrote:

Log into your groups.io account, [...]

Bob Parr

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the purpose of this mod?

Bob
KG5GTE

Dave VE3GSO

I could reply “ it gave me something to do on New Year’s Eve.”

The AMS1117-5 has become somewhat infamous because it fails shorted, which is not polite behaviour for a voltage regulator.  Yes, the large capacitor on its input should prevent that from happening, but why not have some fun and be sure.  Apart from the polarity protection MOSFET that Hans put into version 2, the mods I made: changing the source of the 1117-3.3, removing a few 10k resistors, and swapping out the 1117-5 effectively make this the latest and greatest version.  There you go, the full answer.

Dave

On Jan 4, 2022, at 09:18, Bob Parr <parr@...> wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the purpose of this mod?

Bob
KG5GTE

clacey@blueyonder.co.uk

Many thanks Dave for the photo posted of your powermod to the QDX v1 which inspired me to find a 78M05 and fit it to my QDX for the same reasons. Fitting was a bit tricky mostly to get the tab soldered onto the pad but the end overlapping the board helped to solder it in place and I didn't file it back. A nice little mod!
73 Chris G0IMX

Dave VE3GSO

You are very welcome.  You may want to file it back if you are putting it in the cute QDX case, as it otherwise will exert strain on the ground solder joint, which could fail, and then in turn cause the output pad to fail.

Sandpaper or a small fine flat file will work well.

Dave