QDX T2 enameled wire size? #qdx #t2 #toroid

Tuomas K

Hi,

I'm building the QDX kit and currently working with T2 trifilar toroid T2.

I ended up with too short wires after cutting each piece to 20 cm. My local store only had something that looks to be a little bit thinner than AWG 28. I'm guessing it is AWG 29 (no label).

How critical is the thickness of the enameled wire in this case? Can I use that thinner wire or should I order the AWG 28 from somewhere?

Many thanks in advance.

Tuomas
OH8JGQ

Evan Hand

On Fri, Dec 10, 2021, at 12:28 PM, Tuomas K wrote:
How critical is the thickness of the enameled wire in this case? Can I use that thinner wire or should I order the AWG 28 from somewhere?
Hello Tuomas,

The wire size would depend on where it is used.  For T2 smaller will not hurt.  In the Low-Pass Filters, it might have a slight impact.  You cannot use it for T1 or L14 as those are significant current conductors.

One of the others on this list may have better information.  For T2 I used 3 different color wires to make the install easier.  That is just a convenience.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Tuomas K

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply.

I actually found similar wire (QCX kit leftovers) and got the QDX working now.

73
Tuomas