Finally on the air #u3s #wspr #loveit

Bertel Andresen - SM6OES

Hi all.

How on earth is this possible?
From what I *thought* I knew about distance vs power, it is not, but I'm still doing it...
I have my newly built U3S finally on the air, temporarily hooked up on my kitchen table, not even boxed yet.
A couple of lab cables to the PS and such.
A fairly simple HFJ-350M antenna on the balcony, grounded in the railing, tuned with a simple analyzer.

At for example 20m, with about 180mW out to the antenna.
I'm getting spots from all over Europe, Moscow, Crete, Iceland, The Canary Islands AND North Eastern US.
I'm living in Gothenburg, Sweden.
6147km (WZ7I) on 180mW, 29uW/km, OK.....

I find this truly amazing.
What can one do with such simple equipment?

Many thanks to a lot of You guys that has guided me to get this far.

73 SM6OES, Bertel

John Kirby

 SM6OES, Bertel,

YES QRPp = tons of fun!

Just a suggrestion...
...double the fun...

Go to
>>>https://www.qrz.com/<<<
and set up your free account

...You have 33 lookups already

72 73
John
N3AAZ
FM19

M0PWX

@bertel

Welcome to true QRP with the U3s, Hans designed a truly magical box that is fun to build and performs so well

Give us a bit of info on your QRZ page about you and your station

Have a look at QRSS as well, that another fun QRP mode

You can run more than one mode in sequence on the U3s

I run WSPR, then FSKCW for QRSS, then slow hell to print my Callsign, like G0MBA and G0PKT below

QRSS Plus (swharden.com)

The New Age of QRSS (swharden.com)

Peter

M0PWX

M0PWX Grabber Page (qsl.net)

How on earth is this possible?
From what I *thought* I knew about distance vs power, it is not, but I'm still doing it...
I have my newly built U3S finally on the air, temporarily hooked up on my kitchen table, not even boxed yet.
A couple of lab cables to the PS and such.
A fairly simple HFJ-350M antenna on the balcony, grounded in the railing, tuned with a simple analyzer.

At for example 20m, with about 180mW out to the antenna.
I'm getting spots from all over Europe, Moscow, Crete, Iceland, The Canary Islands AND North Eastern US.
I'm living in Gothenburg, Sweden.
6147km (WZ7I) on 180mW, 29uW/km, OK.....

I find this truly amazing.
What can one do with such simple equipment?

Albert Tatlock's Greatest Hits - Vol 1

On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 12:43 PM, Bertel Andresen wrote:
I'm living in Gothenburg, Sweden.
I used a be a regular at the Dancing DIngo down at Lorensbergsgatan some years ago,
and would also sit down by the River Gote with my old Sony SW100 once I had finished
work for the day.

How on earth is this possible?
From what I *thought* I knew about distance vs power, it is not, but I'm still doing it...
I have my newly built U3S finally on the air, temporarily hooked up on my kitchen table, not even boxed yet.

Welcome to the alternative side of amateur radio ;-)

The U3S is still unique after all these years.
I can't imagine life without either U3S and the collection of predecessors now.

ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...>

In a word, Propagation.

That has a impact on all bands.  The earth ionosphere presents
many different behaviors ranging from acting like a duct or
low loss wave-guide of massive dimensions to a very good
absorber of RF.  all of that is Frequency dependent.

My favorite case is USA (Grid FN42) to VK3 foundation station
from the mobile QRP SSB phone on 40M one morning on
DX net. My estimated EIRP was less than 500mW (about 7W
into a 8ft center loaded mobile whip with efficiency of less than 7%).
Generally that is all propagation plus grey line help.

It does not hurt that the average receiver can hear a signal that
is in the 1/1,000,000,000,000 of a watt or less range.
-120dbm =225pW (that is pico-watts)

While we may regard or gear as simple the math says
they are complex enough.  Fun too!

Allison
Please reply on list so we can share.
No private email, it goes to a bit bucket due to address harvesting

Curt wb8yyy

Well when we are no longer amazed by HF propagation perhaps we should quit. I doubt many of us get there.

Well Albert's nifty answers points to our past, those of us old enough, receiving 10 kHz wide AM signals half way around the world, in my case signals like Radio Australia, Japan, Peking and the like. WSPR turns the tables being only a few Hertz wide, and being data I presume can be decoded closest to its noise. Using my verticals half way or more around the globe is routine with a one bs170 U3S on the middle bands.

Radiate from whatever aerial you have with a qrpp U3S and be amazed.

Okay my story, haven't done the math, but 28 MHz ssb 25 watts into a 1 meter base loaded whip, more dummy load than good antenna. Had qso with excellent patient op at the other end P29CC, Wycliffe missionary from my car commuting to work.

Yes U3S, just a micro, PLL and one little mosfet is enough to span the globe. Okay to be amazed.

Curt wb8yyy