QLG3-enclosure, a work in progress #gps #enclosure

Al Holt

I'm putting my QLG2 GPS module in a stand-alone enclosure. I picked up this 3D printed one at a local electronics shop, the size is 120x60x40mm.

It seems to fit the bill pretty well. The only problem encountered so far is a crack in the plastic occurred when I 'gently' used a center punch to mark the hole for a DC power jack on the rear side wall of the case. It's not too bad; my first time working with a printed case like this and I'm learning as I go. The QLG2 mainboard is standing on 15mm threaded spacers. The SMA connection pokes through the right side of the case.

I wanted to keep the 1602 display and the I'll be cutting the lid to accommodate it; it should be recessed by a millimeter or so when the cover in on. The PC board to the left is a small 5V power supply; I've grown fond of powering the QLG series externally from 12V, thus the DC jack. I saw Hans' warning in RED about avoiding powering it both from USB and external DC so I'll add a toggle switch.

A 3.5mm TRS jack will be added to the right of the USB opening to bring out the PPS/Data connection for QCX's and U3S.

It probably would have been better to be able to modify the original design and add the needed openings and then print it, but I'm not at that stage yet. Some food for thought for you 3D printer mavens!

--Al
WD4AH

Karl Haas

What method will you use to cut the oblong for the display?  I just can’t seem to find a way to cut a really neat square hole.

Al Holt

oops, make that QLG2 (series 1)
sorry!!

--Al

Al Holt

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 08:38 AM, Karl Haas wrote:
What method will you use to cut the oblong for the display?
Karl,
I'm going to try using a Dremel tool with a cutting disc; undercut it slightly and then file it out. That's worked on an ABS plastic case before.

When I cut the rectangular USB hole I started with a ~6mm hole using a drill then used the Dremel with a spiral cutting bit to enlarge it and then finished with filing and squaring the edges.

--Al

Karl Haas

Hi Al,

That’s pretty much my method, but I can’t seem to file it neatly square afterwards.  I think it comes down to patience, which doesn’t seem to be available on Amazon.

jjpurdum

Karl:

Al and I gave up on trying to make cutouts for displays. Now we print a cardstock template and do the LCD/display cutout with an X-Acto knife (make it just a smidgen smaller than the display). A small amount of glue holds it in place and a thin coat of clear Krylon protects it. It's what we did here:

Jack, W8TEE

On Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 09:37:23 AM EDT, Karl Haas via groups.io <iz2222@...> wrote:

Hi Al,

That’s pretty much my method, but I can’t seem to file it neatly square afterwards.  I think it comes down to patience, which doesn’t seem to be available on Amazon.

Karl Haas

Great tip!  Thanks for sharing!

Rick Williams - VE7TK

I avoided the hole cutting exercise (I was never very successful at it). I made a box out of clear acrylic.

See message 67144
--
73, Rick
VE7TK

Website: http://www.ve7tk.com

Al Holt

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 09:45 AM, jjpurdum wrote:

Now we print a cardstock template and do the LCD/display cutout with an X-Acto knife (make it just a smidgen smaller than the display).
Jack,
Not sure I understand what you've written. Is the entire top cover cardstock?

A small amount of glue holds it in place
Is the glue holding the LCD/display in place?

and a thin coat of clear Krylon protects it.
I can picture that for protecting the card stock, but are you also spraying the display?

I may be totally off the mark on understanding the technique. Thanks!

--Al

jjpurdum

On Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 11:39:34 AM EDT, Al Holt <grovekid2@...> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 09:45 AM, jjpurdum wrote:

Now we print a cardstock template and do the LCD/display cutout with an X-Acto knife (make it just a smidgen smaller than the display).
Jack,
Not sure I understand what you've written. Is the entire top cover cardstock? Yes. All of these use the same technique:

A small amount of glue holds it in place
Is the glue holding the LCD/display in place? On this particular one, yes. On most, we use countersunk flat head screws.

and a thin coat of clear Krylon protects it.
I can picture that for protecting the card stock, but are you also spraying the display? No. We cover it with masking tape during the spray.

I may be totally off the mark on understanding the technique. Thanks!

--Al

jjpurdum

I can picture that for protecting the card stock, but are you also spraying the display?

We have also sprayed the cardstock before doing the cutouts, whichever seems easiest.

Jack, W8TEE

On Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 11:39:34 AM EDT, Al Holt <grovekid2@...> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 09:45 AM, jjpurdum wrote:

Now we print a cardstock template and do the LCD/display cutout with an X-Acto knife (make it just a smidgen smaller than the display).
Jack,
Not sure I understand what you've written. Is the entire top cover cardstock?

A small amount of glue holds it in place
Is the glue holding the LCD/display in place?

and a thin coat of clear Krylon protects it.
I can picture that for protecting the card stock, but are you also spraying the display?

I may be totally off the mark on understanding the technique. Thanks!

--Al

Dean Smith

If you or a friend has a 3dprinter :)
https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/files/QLG2

Harry Latterman

If those are all card stock from panels... I am impressed...very impressed..

Harry K7ZOV

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 12:10 PM, Dean Smith wrote:
If you or a friend has a 3dprinter :)
https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/files/QLG2
Dean,
Nice work!! Lots of room to build out the capabilities of the QLG2!

--Al

jjpurdum

They are all card stock, but Al did them, not me.

Jack, W8TEE

On Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 12:18:44 PM EDT, Harry Latterman via groups.io <harrylatterman@...> wrote:

[...]

David Fine

In the past I have used heavy matte or glossy photo paper vs. the card stock and used a graphics program to lay out the front panels. They end up looking really nice.

Dave, W0DF

David Fine

Sorry, I posted to the wrong group.

Dave

David Wilcox K8WPE

I still don’t get it.  Do you glue the card stock to another thicker piece of cardboard?  The whole panel is cardboard?  If so how do you get it strong enough to hold meters, speaker, etc? Or just crude holes cut into pc board and the card stock glued on to make it look nice?

Dave K8WPE

David J. Wilcox’s iPad

On Aug 31, 2021, at 1:37 PM, jjpurdum via groups.io <jjpurdum@...> wrote:

They are all card stock, but Al did them, not me.

Jack, W8TEE

On Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 12:18:44 PM EDT, Harry Latterman via groups.io <harrylatterman@...> wrote:

If those are all card stock from panels... I am impressed...very impressed..

Harry K7ZOV

On Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 08:50:07 AM MST, jjpurdum via groups.io <jjpurdum@...> wrote:

On Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 11:39:34 AM EDT, Al Holt <grovekid2@...> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 09:45 AM, jjpurdum wrote:

Now we print a cardstock template and do the LCD/display cutout with an X-Acto knife (make it just a smidgen smaller than the display).
Jack,
Not sure I understand what you've written. Is the entire top cover cardstock? Yes. All of these use the same technique:

<All Projects - Small.jpg>

A small amount of glue holds it in place
Is the glue holding the LCD/display in place? On this particular one, yes. On most, we use countersunk flat head screws.

and a thin coat of clear Krylon protects it.
I can picture that for protecting the card stock, but are you also spraying the display? No. We cover it with masking tape during the spray.

I may be totally off the mark on understanding the technique. Thanks!

--Al

<All Projects - Small.jpg>

Roelof Bakker

Hello Dave,

I am using a PCB design program (Sprint-Layout 6.0) to design a panel and print it on plain paper. For protection the paper panel is laminated using a 125 um pouche.

For mounting it on the case I use thin double sided tape.
This works very well and will surfive an excidental touch with the solder iron!

73,
Roelof, pa0rdt
--
Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt

David Fine

Roelof,

Going back and looking at the panels I made, you are correct.  I also had the paper laminated before attaching to the front panel.  Haven't done that in a while so my brain was not working as fast as my fingers.  Anyway, it makes a nice looking front face.

73,
Dave, W0DF