Desoldering

Stephen/Betty Loftus#14840

I have seen some questions about desoldering.  I learned this technique from YouTube.  I Use AMTECH NC-559-V2-TF Tacky Flux and solder wick.  You put  the flux on what you want to desolder then place the wick on with heat.  It is amazing how well this works.  I have mainly used it for through holes but it may work with surface mount.

Steve KA1ROI

David Wilcox K8WPE

I have just dipped the wick into my 50 year old can of flux (not plumbing flux) and then it sucks solder wonderfully well.  I had tried plain wick in the past without the flux and wondered how in the world anyone could rave about solder wick.  I see some comes with the flux built into the wick too.

Dave K8WPE

David J. Wilcox’s iPad

On Jun 22, 2021, at 9:28 AM, Stephen/Betty Loftus#14840 <stevejloftus@...> wrote:

I have seen some questions about desoldering.  I learned this technique from YouTube.  I Use AMTECH NC-559-V2-TF Tacky Flux and solder wick.  You put  the flux on what you want to desolder then place the wick on with heat.  It is amazing how well this works.  I have mainly used it for through holes but it may work with surface mount.

Steve KA1ROI

Mike Berg

A light soak in some no clean flux with the wick works wonders as well.

Flux is magic when it comes to soldering.

Michael.2E0IHW

Mike, can you expand : what is "no clean"  flux?

Michael UK

On 23/06/2021 14:34, Mike Berg wrote:

A light soak in some no clean flux with the wick works wonders as well.

Flux is magic when it comes to soldering.

W8DU_Arnie

But where do I find a working Flux Capacitor?

geoffrey pike

Blowing in the wind!
Geoff

On Wednesday, 23 June 2021, 17:33:05 BST, Podolsky A <mdjdmi@...> wrote:

But where do I find a working Flux Capacitor?

Johan Bodin

But where do I find a working Flux Capacitor?
Here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cerp9CMBRY ;-)

Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...>

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 10:33 AM Podolsky A <mdjdmi@...> wrote:
But where do I find a working Flux Capacitor?

Russ AB6MU

You can find the a Flux Capacitor in November 5,1955.

ke9uw

Michael,
Everything I’ve found about it is just minimal flux.

Russ AB6MU

I've had good success with solder wick and RA flux. I also use a solder sucker once in a while.

Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...>

Had not considered flux as the dielectric in a homebrew capacitor...?

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 1:57 PM Russ AB6MU <u.rusty@...> wrote:
You can find the a Flux Capacitor in November 5,1955.

ke9uw

I would also like to mention the Hakko desoldering gun. Heated tip with power vacuum pump inside. Works incredibly well. I desoldered a display 16 pins in 16 seconds. Pricey but you only have to buy one in your hobby career.

WB9SWI

Ran across this old blog post https://www.qsotoday.com/n6kr-desolder-primer.html
"A Desoldering Primer" by N6KR
a lighthearted essay, but might be worth reading before desoldering!
Jim

Trystan G0KAY

Earlier this year I bought a desoldering iron from CPC (it's part of the Farnell group, so you may be able to buy similar in your country - except check the mains voltage and plug).

https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d01849/desoldering-iron-sucker/dp/SD01702

It works incredibly well. You put the tip on the solder joint that needs desoldering, then give the tip a bit of a wiggle, press the button. It results in a wonderfully clean hole. Most times the components are sufficiently desoldered to  just fall out.

I've even used it to remove large ICs and whole rows of header pins too.

You can buy replacement tips for it too. I've bought a spare tip, just in case.

Trystan
G0KAY

Dennis Klipa

Looks like a great tool at a good price but I couldn't find it with a US supplier.  Newark has it listed but not on the US website, just the tip for some reason.  Amazon UK has it listed but not the US version. I sent an email to Farnell to see if they ship to the US.  I recognize that it is 230V but that is easy to overcome.

Thanks for sharing.
Best Regards,
Dennis, N8ERF

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021, 3:21 AM Trystan G0KAY <trystandavies+nodirect@...> wrote:
Earlier this year I bought a desoldering iron from CPC (it's part of the Farnell group, so you may be able to buy similar in your country - except check the mains voltage and plug).

https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d01849/desoldering-iron-sucker/dp/SD01702

It works incredibly well. You put the tip on the solder joint that needs desoldering, then give the tip a bit of a wiggle, press the button. It results in a wonderfully clean hole. Most times the components are sufficiently desoldered to  just fall out.

I've even used it to remove large ICs and whole rows of header pins too.

You can buy replacement tips for it too. I've bought a spare tip, just in case.

Trystan
G0KAY

Steve

I've purchased that off eBay.  I like it a lot, it works great for single through hole de-soldering.

Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. Luke 2:14

On Friday, June 25, 2021, 05:53:15 AM EDT, Dennis Klipa <klipadk@...> wrote:

[...]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVD4pugOFig

Trystan G0KAY

Dennis,

I hope you find yourself a 110V version.

There is one on eBay, but I would be very wary unless you trust the seller. We never know what shortcuts in electrical safety were made.

Here it is, as an example:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110V-120V-40W-Grounded-Vacuum-Desoldering-Iron-40-Watt-Solder-Sucker-Pump-/291790751500

So they do exist in 110V versions at least.

Trystan G0KAY

Trystan G0KAY

Dennis,

I've found it now (110v version) on the Newark site for you:

https://www.newark.com/tenma/21-8240/vacuum-desoldering-iron/dp/26K1984

Trystan G0KAY