I just jumped off my safe zone

wa8yan.radio

Ok guys and gals.......

I finally convinced my finance director that I NEEDED a QCX+ for Father's Day.

Full disclosure: I am stuck in the era of 6146's and big ole Dentron tuners, etc.

Fuller disclosure: if I hadn't spent the last several months reading posts on this group and seeing how many truly skilled folks are willing to help when a builder gets in trouble, I would never have had the guts to try this.  I've built several Heathkit and Eico kits in the past so hopefully enough of that experience coupled with your support will help me complete a fine QRP rig from QRP Labs.

Looking forward to it. Don't leave me though.
Phil WA8YAN.

jjpurdum

Phil:

You just walked into a herd of Elmers. I think everyone here wants to see everyone else succeed. Also, when you see Hans' assembly manual, you'll throw rocks at the Heathkit manuals!

Jack, W8TEE

On Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 10:13:56 PM EDT, wa8yan.radio via groups.io <wa8yan.radio@...> wrote:

Ok guys and gals.......

I finally convinced my finance director that I NEEDED a QCX+ for Father's Day.

Full disclosure: I am stuck in the era of 6146's and big ole Dentron tuners, etc.

Fuller disclosure: if I hadn't spent the last several months reading posts on this group and seeing how many truly skilled folks are willing to help when a builder gets in trouble, I would never have had the guts to try this.  I've built several Heathkit and Eico kits in the past so hopefully enough of that experience coupled with your support will help me complete a fine QRP rig from QRP Labs.

Looking forward to it. Don't leave me though.
Phil WA8YAN.

jerry@tr2.com

For me, the hardest part of this kit was waiting for it to arrive.

- Jerry KF6VB

Phil:
<wa8yan.radio=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Ok guys and gals.......
I finally convinced my finance director that I NEEDED a QCX+ for
Father's Day.
Full disclosure: I am stuck in the era of 6146's and big ole Dentron
tuners, etc.
Fuller disclosure: if I hadn't spent the last several months reading
posts on this group and seeing how many truly skilled folks are
willing to help when a builder gets in trouble, I would never have had
the guts to try this. I've built several Heathkit and Eico kits in
the past so hopefully enough of that experience coupled with your
support will help me complete a fine QRP rig from QRP Labs.
Looking forward to it. Don't leave me though.
Phil WA8YAN.
Links:
------
[1] https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/message/66585
[2] https://groups.io/mt/83249931/243852
[3] https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/post
[4] https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/editsub/243852
[5] https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/leave/10312280/243852/1190336630/xyzzy

Curt wb8yyy

Phil

Go ahead to download the qcx plus manual. Forget printing it, has anyone here smelled a paper factory, just display it on a monitor to match where to place the parts.

You need a low wattage soldering iron. I honestly suggest building a modern simpler kit as a warmup. Since you are stateside let me recommend qrpguys, qrpkits, kc9on and 4stateqrp. Its good to practice on something less dense. The qcx has one challenging toroidal T1. I like my 80m qcx plus, its T1 is more challenging than 40 or 20m. But choose a band you will enjoy.

73 curt wb8yyy

wa8yan.radio

I love the consistency of 40 meters so my first QCX+ is gonna  be a 40.

From: Julian N4JO <n4jo@...>
Date: 6/1/21 10:44 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: QRPLabs@groups.io

--
Julian, N4JO.

I had to laugh at what you said about paper factories, Curt.
I worked for a Sheboygan, WI company in the paper industry (motion control systems for palletizers, etc., in the finishing rooms) during '88 and '89. I spent plenty of time in the paper mills around Appleton, Nekoosa, etc., and yes, they do stink!
Pays the bills, though, is what folks up there will say if you ask them.
--
Julian, N4JO.

jerry@tr2.com

I mostly avoid any and all paperwork. People send me mail, I scan it and
shred it. I am working on emptying my file cabinets - to ultimately toss them -
and keeping everything on my Linux server.

...But this, I printed. Color, double sided. IIRC 38 sheets of paper.
I punched it and put it in a three-ring binder. Ticked off each part as I
measured and installed it. Scribbled notes on it.

- Jerry KF6VB

Phil
[1] https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/message/66587
[2] https://groups.io/mt/83249931/243852
[3] https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/post
[4] https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/editsub/243852
[5] https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/leave/10312280/243852/1190336630/xyzzy

In the same boat (anchor) as you and no I won't leave you at least in solidarity in asking stupid questions of the more technical folks? :-D

Take the plunge indeed Phil, if I could put them together then anyone with patience and care can.

And it really is a great experience, educational, and a pleasure to use afterwards, let alone the possibiities of mods.

For me my main need would be a wide filter setting, since listening to narrow band local QRM noise floor is taxing on the brain, and the nice crashes of natural QRN are cut out, also you cannot tune in to WWVH "Aloha" when you're bored. But this too is a doable mod! That's one of my next projects to do, initial attempts failed, but I got great support in here with the values of resistances to try, and in fact, the "re-education" (since it is so long ago I'd forgotten) that just putting the same value resistors in parallel will reduce as required.

So which band are you planning to build your QCX for?

On 2 Jun 2021, at 02:13, wa8yan.radio via groups.io <wa8yan.radio@...> wrote:

Ok guys and gals.......

I finally convinced my finance director that I NEEDED a QCX+ for Father's Day.

Full disclosure: I am stuck in the era of 6146's and big ole Dentron tuners, etc.

Fuller disclosure: if I hadn't spent the last several months reading posts on this group and seeing how many truly skilled folks are willing to help when a builder gets in trouble, I would never have had the guts to try this.  I've built several Heathkit and Eico kits in the past so hopefully enough of that experience coupled with your support will help me complete a fine QRP rig from QRP Labs.

Looking forward to it. Don't leave me though.
Phil WA8YAN.

Love 30m and CW?
http://www.30cw.net

K9NUD-Steve

Phil, welcome aboard! I just completed my first QCX Mini last week and I'm having lots of fun with it. My three recommendations:

  1. Get a "Panavise" circuit board holder (or similar). You can never have enough hands.
  2. Get a tiny soldering iron, skinny solder, and de-soldering braid (if you don't already have them)
  3. Get a magnifying hood, goggles, or desk-mounted magnifier, along with a jeweler's loupe.
Mine fired up on the first try and tuned up easily. I get 4 watts @ 12v (5 @ 13.8) and make lots of great contacts. If I can hear them, they can usually hear me.

73, Steve

wa8yan.radio

As you might guess, for someone first licensed in 1959..... I'm going for 40 meters.  I think after that is a success I will wait for the QSX.  That sounds just tooooo good to not have.

On 2021-06-02 08:57, wa8yan.radio via groups.io wrote:
As you might guess, for someone first licensed in 1959.....
*** I'm told 1959 was an amazing time to be a ham. Sunspots
like we've never seen since. Stories?

- Jerry KF6VB

John Rabson

I was still an SWL but I remember 15m being open all night long.

John G3PAI

On 2021-06-02 08:57, wa8yan.radio via groups.io wrote:
As you might guess, for someone first licensed in 1959.....
*** I'm told 1959 was an amazing time to be a ham. Sunspots
like we've never seen since. Stories?

- Jerry KF6VB

wa8yan.radio

Great advise thanks.  I already have everything except the panavise.  Swaps are starting to pop up again now so maybe I can pick one up soon.

Phil, welcome aboard! I just completed my first QCX Mini last week and I'm having lots of fun with it. My three recommendations:

  1. Get a "Panavise" circuit board holder (or similar). You can never have enough hands.
  2. Get a tiny soldering iron, skinny solder, and de-soldering braid (if you don't already have them)
  3. Get a magnifying hood, goggles, or desk-mounted magnifier, along with a jeweler's loupe.
Mine fired up on the first try and tuned up easily. I get 4 watts @ 12v (5 @ 13.8) and make lots of great contacts. If I can hear them, they can usually hear me.

73, Steve

wa8yan.radio

That's the truth.  It made even my Novice license worth having.  Built my own cw crystal controlled transmitter with a 5U4 rectifier and a single 6146 GB for the final, from scratch from a magazine article...  think it was Popular Electronics.  Scavenged parts from an old TV chassis my dad gave to me.  Worked the world on 40 and the US on 80.  Totally hooked on CW  after that, but not a speed hound.  I like the ease and comfort of about 15 WPM or less.  Oh by the way, the transmitter gave me 75watts and a lot of RF burns (direct keyed rf on the straight key).  Receiver was a Hallicrafters SX 24 that I bought for 35 bucks at Radio Tube Merchandising in Flint, Michigan.

Thanks for asking about stories.  You know us true OMs like to tell about the past.

On 2021-06-02 08:57, wa8yan.radio via groups.io wrote:
> As you might guess, for someone first licensed in 1959.....

*** I'm told 1959 was an amazing time to be a ham.  Sunspots
like we've never seen since.  Stories?

             - Jerry KF6VB

Gary Bernard

I was a 19 year old ham, W0WRF, living at home. One only had to breath softly in to the mic or just key up on CW and the world answered. My dad had a KW and a 20 meter monobander. It's never been as good and I doubt it ever will be again.
Gary W0CKI

I was still an SWL but I remember 15m being open all night long.

John G3PAI

> On 2 Jun 2021, at 18:03, jerry@... wrote:
>
> On 2021-06-02 08:57, wa8yan.radio via groups.io wrote:
>> As you might guess, for someone first licensed in 1959.....
>
> *** I'm told 1959 was an amazing time to be a ham.  Sunspots
> like we've never seen since.  Stories?
>
>            - Jerry KF6VB

wa8yan.radio

Oh yeah.... I forgot to mention my first call in 1959 was KN8QWH, which actually rolled pretty good on CW. The Novice license then was good for 1 year, non-renewable... ie mandatory upgrade to General.  Took my General Exam in Detroit in front of an FCC Examiner.  If you failed the 13WPM it was "go home". No taking the written till CW passed.  Tension ! !.  Had to wait till I got out of the Navy to do the upgrade so my Novice expired while I was at sea on a Destroyer.  Oh for those good old days.....

jerry@tr2.com

On 2021-06-02 09:43, wa8yan.radio via groups.io wrote:
That's the truth. It made even my Novice license worth having. Built
my own cw crystal controlled transmitter with a 5U4 rectifier and a
single 6146 GB for the final,
*** And my first transmitter had a 6V6 tube. I stole one of my mom's baking pans for the chassis. Wound the final coil on a roll of toilet paper. The tuning indicator was a neon bulb. This was around 1969. I think that article was also Popular Electronics. Probably around 10W DC input.
- Jerry KF6VB

Pat

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 09:13 PM, wa8yan.radio wrote:
and seeing how many truly skilled folks are willing to help
Tip:  Never solder with flip flops on.  Don't ask me how I know.