QLG2 Failure

Dennis Rieger

I just received 2 QLG2 kits yesterday. I put the antenna connector, the USB connector, and a jumper on the board and powered it up. Initially, it worked perfectly. First, all 3 LEDs illuminated, then the red power LED came on steady, and the yellow SER LED was blinking. I was running PuTTY and I saw information coming from the QLG2. Finally, the green PPS light started flashing and everything seemed OK. I have u-blox u-center installed so I ran that and got a 3D fix. All was well, but after about 10 minutes the green PPS LED went out and the yellow ser LED instead of flashing on and off it stayed on and flickered at about 1 pps. I looked at the components and solder joints with a microscope but everything looked good.

I have a second kit which I then assembled and it has worked perfectly so far. I checked the incoming voltage on the USB connector and it measured 5.06V. Does anyone have any ideas. Do I have a case of infant mortality? Would it be worthwhile to reinstall the firmware?

Thanks
Dennis
KK5DB

Hans Summers

Hi Dennis

In case of a failure, I can send a new one.

Did you ensure that there was no short circuit at the SMA connector? A short circuit there draws high current through the voltage regulator in the E108 GNSS module and would lead to overheating and probable failure.

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 5:06 AM Dennis Rieger <kk5db@...> wrote:
[...]

Rick Williams - VE7TK

At the moment, failure with my QLG2 lies in the hands of TNT. It left QRP-Labs HQ and followed the path described by Hans to Belgium. Once it left Belgium things went somewhat sideways. After leaving Europe the tracking, as others have described, is a bit sketchy.

Missing from the tracking is any indication of CITY or COUNTRY. Here's the latest information (28/04/2021 - 09:50 local)

26/05/2021, 04:09                                 Shipment arrived at TNT location
25/05/2021, 22:49                                 Shipment in transit
25/05/2021, 12:36                                 Formal customs clearance required
25/05/2021, 07:37    Grace-Hollogne    Shipment in transit

As can be seen the QLG2 has arrived at a "TNT location". And, after 2 days of radio silence, there it sits without a hint as to where that location might be?

I am optimistically thinking the package is somewhere in Canada. It could be in St. John's, Newfoundland (5,000 km east of me) or in Vancouver, BC (100 km east of me). Time will tell!

Sigh ......

--
73, Rick
VE7TK

Website: http://www.ve7tk.com

Rick Williams - VE7TK

Oops -- make that 28/05/2021

--
73, Rick
VE7TK

Website: http://www.ve7tk.com

va3rr

It's only been in transit for a few days, Rick. Hans should start work on a QRP-Labs matter transporter. lol

vy 73 de va3rr

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 12:55 PM, Rick Williams - VE7TK wrote:
Sigh ......

--
73, Rick
VE7TK

Rick Williams - VE7TK

Perhaps but it left QRP-Labs a week ago and it was moving VERY quickly up until it left Belgium! The "last" TNT predicted delivery date was 1800 on the 26th.

Now if this was in the hands of Canada Post .... all bets would be off!
--
73, Rick
VE7TK

Website: http://www.ve7tk.com

Rick Williams - VE7TK

My QLG2 is on the move again. It looks like it needed a 5-day rest with Customs. (I assume Canadian Customs, though it is not specified).

31/05/2021, 21:57   Shipment in transit
31/05/2021, 16:57   Formal customs clearance required
26/05/2021, 04:09   Shipment arrived at TNT location

Hopefully is will be here in a day or two!
--
73, Rick
VE7TK

Website: http://www.ve7tk.com

Daniel Walter

Rick,
I hope you have your shipment by now. I too am not a fan of FedEx/TNT's tracking info, especially internationally. However, like a number of others have posted, it's pretty reliable as long as you ignore the confusing tracking. Have fun with your new toy!
--
73, Dan  NM3A

Dennis Rieger

t appears to be a failure. There is no short on the SMA connector. It is installed horizontally and the resistance is in the order of 750K ohms. The second unit measures about the same. I would appreciate a replacement unit when you have adequate stock. I don't need a second antenna the one that came with unit works on the second QLG2 with no issues.

Thanks

Dennis
KK5DB