Antenna Tuner

William Jenrick

I sure wish Hans would come up with a simple manual antenna tuner for his QRP kits. Hell, he sales simple dummy load kits for dummies like me, so why not an antenna tuner kit as well? Adding a SWR/Watt meter would also be a plus.....
73
wa6lsi (new to the game)
ps Don't buy that cheap Chinese tuner ($25) like I did off ebay etc.....Junk!!!!!

Curt wb8yyy

Will

Maybe a bit more competition. Check 4stateqrp and qrpguys. Also qrpkits.com. and search for zm2 to see if its still being sold.  Sotabeams? Look around a bit.
73 Curt

Tony McUmber

The ZM-2 kit is still available, and makes an excellent antenna matcher.  It is easy to build and easy to use.  It is designed to protect your finals while you are tuning up.  Even I can do it.

73, Tony N0BPA

William Jenrick

PS Due to HOA regulations, I am not allowed to have any antennas swinging from my house. I am stuck with an end feed long wire which I strung up under the eaves of my house late one night so as not to be seen and reported on by my GESTAPO neighbors. Coax is hidden behind the gutter and into the shack. I can just imagine what they would say if I strung up something like a center fed dipole!!!!!

--
William Jenrick

Arthur Paton

Why?
with so many QRP manual antenna tuners out there, and the really great autotuner by Elecraft, why would Hans take time away from the multiband QCX design that we are all waiting for?

Fred VK2WS

I have no doubt that the Elecraft T1 auto-tuner is a great device. Many hams rave about it. However, the kit version is 2.66x the price of a QCX Mini and the assembled version is 3.19x the price of a QCX Mini. It would be neat if a QRP Labs antenna tuner was available in an enclosure size and style that matched the QCX Mini.
I have built the low cost Days Manual antenna tuner from eBay and it works. I was alerted that the PCB silkscreen has the coupling transformer shown in the wrong orientation. Checking the traces against the schematic showed that indeed there was an error.
I think that the QRP Labs kit that we are all waiting to see emerge is the QSX.
73 Fred VK2WS

Trystan G0KAY

Yes, I've built that "Manual Days" tuner too. I really enjoyed making it. Incidentally, it's called "days" because of the Chinglish of the instructions "Days is" for "This is.." and so on. If read out loud I suppose "Days" and "This" can be made to sound quite similar.

The resistive bridge SWR indicator is effective too. I tuned it up using it, and then checked the SWR using my antenna analyzer and found it to be below 1.2:1 - "happy DAYS"!

Trystan G0KAY

Jim Mcilroy

Another one here

https://walfords.wordpress.com/accessories/

Jim

G4EQX

On 22/05/2021 08:53, Trystan G0KAY wrote:
Yes, I've built that "Manual Days" tuner too. I really enjoyed making it. Incidentally, it's called "days" because of the Chinglish of the instructions "Days is" for "This is.." and so on. If read out loud I suppose "Days" and "This" can be made to sound quite similar.

The resistive bridge SWR indicator is effective too. I tuned it up using it, and then checked the SWR using my antenna analyzer and found it to be below 1.2:1 - "happy DAYS"!

Trystan G0KAY

Trystan G0KAY

Here's the one I got, it arrived in around ten days from China to the UK:

https://www.banggood.com/1-30Mhz-LED-VSWR-DIY-Manual-Antenna-Tuner-Kit-For-HAM-RADIO-+-CW-QRP-Q9-BNC-Interface-p-1253567.html

Trystan
G0KAY

R. Tyson

Easy enough to make a QRP antenna tuner. I am amazed that radio hams buy wire antennas and ATU's.
A few minutes online will provide designs. Find a tuner that incorporates a balanced bridge and that will protect the rig while tuning up.

Reg                     G4NFR

K2DB Paul Mackanos

Thx, I just ordered one !
Paul K2DB

On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 11:41 AM Trystan G0KAY <trystandavies+nodirect@...> wrote:
Here's the one I got, it arrived in around ten days from China to the UK:

https://www.banggood.com/1-30Mhz-LED-VSWR-DIY-Manual-Antenna-Tuner-Kit-For-HAM-RADIO-+-CW-QRP-Q9-BNC-Interface-p-1253567.html

Trystan
G0KAY

William Jenrick

Tnx to all of you for your suggestions and comments. I ordered an Emtec tuner after I smoked a cheap Chinese one which came with no instructions, schematic etc.....
73, will
ps I see a lot of posts about finding parts/components...That company which has the same name as a river in South America has lots of electronic parts. Since I have a prime account I get most everything within 2 days.

--
William Jenrick

Jim Campbell

I don't remember it being mentioned here that there's a really neat automatic antenna tuner in kit form. It's the ATU-100. Google it. You can get it from Amazon. There's also a matching cover but I don't believe you can get it from the same place. Between the kit and cover you get everything you need.

73, Jim - W4BQP

ajparent1/KB1GMX

Its been mentioned... N7DDC Atu-100.

Also several of the kit suppliers have antenna matchers, often several
different flavors..

FYI the 13-25$ one seen on ebay and amazon, I've built one and with
care in assembly (tedious) it works well.  I found the SWR indicator
to be a bit touchy fo my liking so the LED became a tiny meter.

While I have a T1, ATU-100, several other manual tuners including
Zmatch, SLT, Endfed tuner, and random other built over the years
I use a tuned antenna and on rare occasion a matcher.

Tuned antenna means less stuff to get wrong at setup.

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.
No private email, it goes to a bit bucket due to address harvesting

William Jenrick

What you say is true: "Less is best". Problem is I live in Stalingrad, California, USSR' where nothing is legal. Particularly antennas strung around one's house as per homeowner association rules. So I had to string up a random length end feed long wire hidden under the eves of my house; which I did @ 2 am so as not to be seen by my neighbors and reported to the KGB/HOA.
will

On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 12:19 PM ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...> wrote:
Its been mentioned... N7DDC Atu-100.

Also several of the kit suppliers have antenna matchers, often several
different flavors..

FYI the 13-25$ one seen on ebay and amazon, I've built one and with
care in assembly (tedious) it works well.  I found the SWR indicator
to be a bit touchy fo my liking so the LED became a tiny meter.

While I have a T1, ATU-100, several other manual tuners including
Zmatch, SLT, Endfed tuner, and random other built over the years
I use a tuned antenna and on rare occasion a matcher.

Tuned antenna means less stuff to get wrong at setup.

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.
No private email, it goes to a bit bucket due to address harvesting

--
William Jenrick

Leland L. Bahr

This is a piece of crap.  The toroid is fake and not even a type 2 red core, just painted red.  This thing is super inefficient.  Most of your power will go into heat.  I threw mine away.  Pure Junk.  A waste of money.

Lee, w0vt

On 5/22/2021 1:25 PM, K2DB Paul Mackanos wrote:
Thx, I just ordered one !
Paul K2DB

On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 11:41 AM Trystan G0KAY <trystandavies+nodirect@...> wrote:
Here's the one I got, it arrived in around ten days from China to the UK:

https://www.banggood.com/1-30Mhz-LED-VSWR-DIY-Manual-Antenna-Tuner-Kit-For-HAM-RADIO-+-CW-QRP-Q9-BNC-Interface-p-1253567.html

Trystan
G0KAY

Michael.2E0IHW

No surprise, Lee

Although adjunct to  Q'Labs topics, the big conundrum
with toroids remains : how to know!

I have yet to discover the one-true-posting which will enable me to
measure and evaluate, *with simple means*, the jumble of toroids
languishing in my treasure-box...

Trystan : over to you!

Michael

On 22/05/2021 22:15, Leland L. Bahr wrote:

This is a piece of crap.  The toroid is fake and not even a type 2 red core, just painted red.  This thing is super inefficient.  Most of your power will go into heat.  I threw mine away.  Pure Junk.  A waste of money.

Lee, w0vt

On 5/22/2021 1:25 PM, K2DB Paul Mackanos wrote:
Thx, I just ordered one !
Paul K2DB

On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 11:41 AM Trystan G0KAY <trystandavies+nodirect@...> wrote:
Here's the one I got, it arrived in around ten days from China to the UK:

https://www.banggood.com/1-30Mhz-LED-VSWR-DIY-Manual-Antenna-Tuner-Kit-For-HAM-RADIO-+-CW-QRP-Q9-BNC-Interface-p-1253567.html

Trystan
G0KAY

Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...>

The inexpensive "universal testers" that sell for less than $25 on Ebay will evaluate most toroid cores for inductance.  Just add 5, 10 , and 20 turns,  measure inductance, then do rhe math to reveal  probable  characterestics.  Not super accurate, but should get you in the ballpark.

Further tests can be done to find core saturation, heat rise, and q-factor.

All this does require some knowledge of electronics and maybe a little physics.

On Sat, May 22, 2021, 3:52 PM Michael.2E0IHW via groups.io <blumu=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I agree!. You get what you pay for. Mine started smoking while trying to tune it up. Thank, whoever's God you pray for, that I did not wipe out my QCX +/Mini final stage!!!!!

On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 2:17 PM Leland L. Bahr <w5drc@...> wrote:

This is a piece of crap.  The toroid is fake and not even a type 2 red core, just painted red.  This thing is super inefficient.  Most of your power will go into heat.  I threw mine away.  Pure Junk.  A waste of money.

Lee, w0vt

On 5/22/2021 1:25 PM, K2DB Paul Mackanos wrote:
Thx, I just ordered one !
Paul K2DB

On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 11:41 AM Trystan G0KAY <trystandavies+nodirect@...> wrote:
Here's the one I got, it arrived in around ten days from China to the UK:

https://www.banggood.com/1-30Mhz-LED-VSWR-DIY-Manual-Antenna-Tuner-Kit-For-HAM-RADIO-+-CW-QRP-Q9-BNC-Interface-p-1253567.html

Trystan
G0KAY

--
William Jenrick

William Jenrick

My problem is trying to figure out the torrid wiring order for the band switch. 12 taps to the switch but in what order and where does the last and first turns end up?