First SOTA outing with QCX Mini #sota

ND6P

I activated a SOTA summit yesterday with my newly built QCX Mini.  For a paddle, I stuck a Ham Radio Guys paddle onto the mini with some double-sided PVC tape.  It held well.  Paddle worked great and the Mini worked well also.  My only comment for improvement has to do with the CW sidetone.  I had it turned down all the way in the config, but when I had to open the volume up all the way to copy the weak ones, the sidetone was blowing my ears off.  A sidetone with a constant volume, regardless of the setting of the volume control, would be a nice improvement.  Nice SOTA rig otherwise.

Steven J. Hlibichuk

Nice rig! I have the same paddles in a box somewhere around here. I think I will go the same route.

Thanks!

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021, 12:39 PM ND6P <jpkellyburbank@...> wrote:
I activated a SOTA summit yesterday with my newly built QCX Mini.  For a paddle, I stuck a Ham Radio Guys paddle onto the mini with some double-sided PVC tape.  It held well.  Paddle worked great and the Mini worked well also.  My only comment for improvement has to do with the CW sidetone.  I had it turned down all the way in the config, but when I had to open the volume up all the way to copy the weak ones, the sidetone was blowing my ears off.  A sidetone with a constant volume, regardless of the setting of the volume control, would be a nice improvement.  Nice SOTA rig otherwise.

Richard - N1RBD

Something I've found is that if you have an EFHW and getting some RF back into the rig the sidetone will be extremely harsh.  That could be exasperating the volume issue.

Marek SP9TKW

Richard, usually placing 5-8 meters of coax between transformer and TRX reduces RF. In the field I place at least 4-5mtr of coax on the ground and I do not get RF in the shack.

---------------------------------
73 de Marek SP9TKW

GIUSEPPE

Hello, congratulations for the photo, beautiful paddle, wanting to buy on the internet on which site I can buy it, and if they send it to Italy.  thank you .  73 de iu8eun Joseph

Il ven 23 apr 2021, 11:11 Marek SP9TKW <sp9tkw@...> ha scritto:
Richard, usually placing 5-8 meters of coax between transformer and TRX reduces RF. In the field I place at least 4-5mtr of coax on the ground and I do not get RF in the shack.

---------------------------------
73 de Marek SP9TKW

KB9NBL

Very nice, clean look.
I congratulate you on a fine job!

James

Donald Adams

Giuseppe,
If this is the paddle made by QRP Guys ( https://qrpguys.com/paddles ), it appears it is no longer available.  If I have the wrong source, I would like to be corrected as I also would be interested in that paddle.

Don Adams WB0LQW

Jody - K3JZD

Is it safe to assume that you have already adjusted the sidetone volume to its lowest level (in the Keyer Menu)?

Jody - K3JZD

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 02:39 PM, ND6P wrote:
I activated a SOTA summit yesterday with my newly built QCX Mini.  For a paddle, I stuck a Ham Radio Guys paddle onto the mini with some double-sided PVC tape.  It held well.  Paddle worked great and the Mini worked well also.  My only comment for improvement has to do with the CW sidetone.  I had it turned down all the way in the config, but when I had to open the volume up all the way to copy the weak ones, the sidetone was blowing my ears off.  A sidetone with a constant volume, regardless of the setting of the volume control, would be a nice improvement.  Nice SOTA rig otherwise.

Albert Tatlock's Greatest Hits - Vol 1

Looks brilliant !

Pat

I bought the American Morse Lowboy (https://www.americanmorse.com/lowboy.htm) to solve the problem of the key moving around, even as a squeezer rather than a slapper.  It took a bit of getting used to, and I may need to LocTite the thumb screws, but so far I am impressed.  I have started using it with my other rigs to get used to it.  It's pricey compared the the QRP Guys kit, but in my testing so far, it's nice not having to hold the key, mount it, etc.

I have one of the QRP paddle kits on the shelf.  It's a shame it's been retired.  One I missed out on was the capacitive key made by a ham that passed away.  W1JSB's Radioset Go site (https://radioset-go.com/prestashop/index.php) used them on earlier kits.  You will see them as the acorn cap nuts on the side of the boxes, as those become the capacitive touch paddles for the rig.  Kinda cool.

Pat

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 06:40 AM, Pat wrote:
One I missed out on was the capacitive key made by a ham that passed away.  W1JSB's Radioset Go site (https://radioset-go.com/prestashop/index.php) used them on earlier kits.  You will see them as the acorn cap nuts on the side of the boxes, as those become the capacitive touch paddles for the rig.
It actually looks like W1JSB is selling those cap kits.  I had no idea.  $35 each:  https://radioset-go.com/prestashop/index.php?id_product=19&controller=product

Richard - N1RBD

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 05:11 AM, Marek SP9TKW wrote:
Richard, usually placing 5-8 meters of coax between transformer and TRX reduces RF. In the field I place at least 4-5mtr of coax on the ground and I do not get RF in the shack.

I'm running 15ft of RF174 in addition to a counterpoise and still get a harsh sidetone.  :(