Idea for future QSX production

Steve Ireland

Hi Hans

You may well have already considered this, but once you are happy with the QSX design and are at the point where you wish to purchase components, there is something that those of us who wish to purchase to the radio could do to help you.

As you would be aware, there are several radio and radio kit manufacturers who ask for a deposit/part payment from their initial purchasers of a particular product in order to bankroll the necessary component purchases/production costs.

None of us want you to suffer financial stress over introducing a more complicated radio kit - there is enough stress involved in that already. ;-)

After you have decided on an initial production run (say, 100 units), why not ask, via the reflector, for those who wish to purchase one of those units to make a part/full payment so you bankroll purchasing the necessary bits. You have a huge respect and confidence from your user base - and I think people would fall over themselves to help you in this way.

Just a thought. ;-)

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ

Hans Summers

Thanks Steve

But I prefer financing it myself... I see a lot of problems everywhere, for example Elecraft and their 2 years' K4 pre-orders and stress that must give them. And a host of crowd-funding horror stories from Kickstarter and such. Dealing with all that, for me, would be an unwelcome distraction and only slow things down. So when the design is finished and components available I will finance the manufacturing. But thanks anyway!

73 Hans G0UPL

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021, 06:58 Steve Ireland <stevevk6vz@...> wrote:

[...]

Greg Walters

I understand your perspective Hans, and would tend to agree. But I must admit, I believe there are a large number of us out here that would be willing to finance that endeavor if you were willing. Again, please don't do it, as you will most certainly regret it.

Once complete, as you wait on receipt of your ordered kit parts, perhaps preorders would work, as we are becoming accustomed to the current situations with the current supply chains.

(I think I have some orders coming from you sometime... no rush).

Thank you for all you do for us, Hans.
Greg
KY4GW

ajparent1/KB1GMX

I take the suggestion of financing or other "help" as a not so subtle hurry up.

When its ready it will be ready not all of the questions and help have
eaten several minutes or precious time, repeatedly.

We are up to six such requests or threads in the last two or so months.
From my perspective those are not helping.

I don't even make kits and I get a dozen requests every week
for help.  So I don't have to imagine, asking is it ready yet are
right up there with traveling with young kids, are we there yet?

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.
No private email, it goes to a bit bucket due to address harvesting

Mitch Stein

I would be up for that!!

[...]

Karl Heinz Kremer - K5KHK

I am with Allison on this. Is you want to help Hans to have time and the necessary finances for the development and the initial run of any new product, but some is the existing kits. That puts food on his family’s table and money into the bank account. All this will lead to new products.

Build a QCX (or two), get started on the QSX by building the PA  stage which you can order today, and don’t forget about the dummy load, which you will need to align the QCX (and QSX). All this and more is available today from the QRP Labs store.
--
Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

You van also do what I am doing. I am working (slowly) on a QCX+ and 50 watt amp. i already ave the ten watt amp. More, I am going in a different direction building a transceiver to fill the void I was hoping to fill with the QSX. That does NOT mean I am abandoning the QSX. I expect to buy one when it does become available. Meanwhile, I am not putting my life on hold :) I am also using some modules from QRP Labs in my other, non Labs projects.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 4/18/21 8:24 AM, Karl Heinz Kremer - K5KHK wrote:

I am with Allison on this. Is you want to help Hans to have time and the necessary finances for the development and the initial run of any new product, but some is the existing kits. That puts food on his family’s table and money into the bank account. All this will lead to new products.

Build a QCX (or two), get started on the QSX by building the PA  stage which you can order today, and don’t forget about the dummy load, which you will need to align the QCX (and QSX). All this and more is available today from the QRP Labs store.
--
Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Steve Ireland

Hello Allison

I am disappointed and saddened that you viewed my email in such a cynical manner. Please reconsider why you made this response to what was simply a constructive suggestion.  I hope your email has at least made you feel better.

This was an idea for those of us who wish to potentially help Hans with his business - in the same way as past customers have helped manufacturers such as Elecraft with the necessary FUNDING needed to bring a rig, which requires a considerable outlay on components, to market.  I say this as someone with over 30 years experience of electronic and radio manufacturing (and writing for and about this industry).

From what Hans has said the reasons for the QSX not being marketed yet are absolutely nothing to do with funding, so why on earth would you think that what I proposed was intended as a "not so subtle hurry-up"? Gaaah!

Oh yes. I built a QCX, which is sitting beside me and works very nicely. I didn't need it but bought it for the reason that I believe in what Hans is doing.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ (and G3ZZD since 1971)

Paul Harrison

Hi Steve,

I agree with Allison, you must have known that your letter would be construed as "hurry up" or fishing for info. Anybody who has been following Hans will know that external funding is not his moda operandi.

72 de Paul DJ0CU.

tony.volpe.1951@...

Isn't this all getting a little 'heavy' and acrimonious for  a simple suggestion? Hans dealt with it with a graceful refusal. The enquiry was in my view, well meant, even though it wasn't a proposal that was taken up.

73s all..

G0BZB
Tony

Rod Smith

Hi Paul
I respect your opinion ...
... and so, purely as a more general suggestion, I'd "just" point to pharases including e.g. "must have", "should have" "ought to" etc etc often indicate an emotional rather than necessarily rational opinion.
In my long and imperfect experience, and important as intentions are, I find that it's virtually impossible to figure other people out - including their intentions.
My apologies for breaking my rule to myself of "don't get involved, just let these things die out"
Rod

Curt wb8yyy

All should be well here. Hans business model to roll out the qsx in bite sized pieces is identical to what elecraft did on the K2, except his tech base is much more affordable. Appreciate he has both through hole and surface mount automation. Forgive my optimism and QSY to other pursuits.  73 curt

Ronan Cantwell

Yeah.... Who do you think you are, Steve Ireland ?!?!
You waltz in here with your offers of help and sensible ideas.....  😉

Michael N6MST

Many people, including the guy who owns the company and designs all the products, did not think it was a sensible idea. Honestly, why is this thread still a thing?

ajparent1/KB1GMX

Steve,
If you read it as cynical then its on you.  The comment was not aimed
at any single person.

My comments were more about others trying to satisfy a "need to help"
and the interrupts caused by  need to respond.   Especially those talking
about funding.

From what I know if you want to fund him then send time. Or do things
that do not consume time.  Really as a developer time is the only thing
that can't be given or bestowed, but it is universally in short supply.

Good that you have such experience when you get to 50 years
in all corners of electronics like me you will find learning is still
the most enjoyable part of the process.

I have two QCX and they are a really fun radio.

Allison