Qcx keyer erratic

Jim Painter

Playing with the qcx 20m in the arrl contest. Keyer is intermittently adding dits and dahs. My first thought was the key adjustment or just my fist, although I usually don’t have a problem. Tried key on a different rig. Key works fine. I tried fiddling with all the adjustment in the qcx. No good. When I send a 6, it likes to add an extra dah. Even though i’m sure my finger is off the dah paddle. It likes to add an extra dit when I sen 3.

Is anyone else having these problems?

Jim....KQ3S

Jim,
I had that problem when I first got my QCX and I started learning to use a twin paddle and Iambic mode B. You're clearly a far more experienced operator than I am, but this may be something to think about:

If you're using an Iambic mode, make sure you don't have auto space on; that might mess up your timing if you're not expecting it. It "saves" what it identifies as an early key press until the required space is done, then fires the key. If you've already released it you will get a phantom dit or dah, depending on what was pressed when the forced delay triggered.

--
Julian, N4JO.

GD

Your keying is fine but the extra character insertion is a typical iambic B mode result  using a squeeze keyer hence using iambic mode A eleviates the brain problem when at speed.

G4CAO 73 Gf

Peter GM0EUL

It could be something to do with the settings but I also find the keyer in a QCX is very sensitive to stray RF.  Mine does it all the time and sometimes a tiny thing will fix it like routing the antenna lead to the other side of the desk, a few tight loops in the antenna lead as a make-shift choke near the radio or a few turns through a toroid for the lead to the paddle.  If you are using an external atu try changing it's L and C slightly to get a match with a slightly different combination. Fiddle with the ground or counterpoise system.  I've heard it said that putting a counterpoise directly onto the RF ground on the radio can have a dramatic effect on any RF getting back in.  I've never tried that but now that I've remembered it I'm keen to give it a go.

73
Peter
GM0EUL

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021, 20:57 Jim Painter via groups.io, <Jfpainter=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Playing with the qcx 20m in the arrl contest. Keyer is intermittently adding dits and dahs. My first thought was the key adjustment or just my fist, although I usually don’t have a problem. Tried key on a different rig. Key works fine. I tried fiddling with all the adjustment in the qcx. No good. When I send a 6, it likes to add an extra dah. Even though i’m sure my finger is off the dah paddle. It likes to add an extra dit when I sen 3.

Is anyone else having these problems?

Jim....KQ3S

Jim Painter

Thanks for all the ideas. Auto save is turned off. It happens in both iambic A and B modes. It happens in practice mode, so it shouldn’t be an RF problem. Not sure where to go from here.

Thanks...Jim...KQ3S

On Feb 22, 2021, at 3:28 AM, Peter GM0EUL <gm0eul@...> wrote:

[...]

Daniel Walter

Auto Space off? Typo?
--
73, Dan  NM3A

Jim Painter

Trying to do QCX challenge on 20m. My keyer was so screwed up I couldn’t answer anyone. Decided to do a reset on the QCX. Started working fine. Reset had set speed back to 12wpm. When I crank up to 15 wpm starts giving extra dit and dahs. Sometimes misses dits and dahs. I have no problem with 15wpm on my other rigs. Guess I’ll just leave it at 12wpm.

Hans, do you have any ideas. My fist is not great but I’ve always been able to handle 15wpm.

73...Jim....KQ3S

On Feb 22, 2021, at 10:30 AM, Daniel Walter via groups.io <nm3a@...> wrote:

Auto Space off? Typo?
--
73, Dan  NM3A

Hans Summers

Hi Jim

I use my QCXs at 15wpm and they always work perfectly. I'm using the latest firmware 1.07a.

I had 9 QSOs today on 20m in the 1300Z session of the QCX QSO party and a few minutes after the hour ended. Since I've had almost no QSOs in the last 3 months (just two I think), I reduced the speed to 14wpm after the first QSO to give myself a chance to get in practice again, gently.

I do wonder if you have problems with RF getting into your paddle cable. Coax common mode currents and grounding issues can wreak havoc.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021, 23:12 Jim Painter via groups.io <Jfpainter=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Trying to do QCX challenge on 20m. My keyer was so screwed up I couldn’t answer anyone. Decided to do a reset on the QCX. Started working fine. Reset had set speed back to 12wpm. When I crank up to 15 wpm starts giving extra dit and dahs. Sometimes misses dits and dahs. I have no problem with 15wpm on my other rigs. Guess I’ll just leave it at 12wpm.

Hans, do you have any ideas. My fist is not great but I’ve always been able to handle 15wpm.

73...Jim....KQ3S

On Feb 22, 2021, at 10:30 AM, Daniel Walter via groups.io <nm3a=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Auto Space off? Typo?
--
73, Dan  NM3A

So let's get down to elemental diagnostics...
Is the QCX 20 new? i.e. Has it ever worked?
Does it only add dits AFTER another dit? Dahs after other dahs? Or seemingly random?
Have you changed anything in the environment?
Might there be wire whiskers in the 3.5mm plug?
Any routing issues with the key cable? Strong magnetic fields? (The circuit relies on internal pull-ups in the processor, so it isn't "brick s-house" immune to induced noise).

--
Julian, N4JO.

Sorry, I meant "does it only add dahs after dits and dits after dahs, as you first described, or is it random ?"
--
Julian, N4JO.

Jim Painter

Thanks Hans, it happens in practice mode so I don’t think it’s RF. My firmware is way out of date so that’s my first move.

73...Jim...KQ3S

On Feb 22, 2021, at 3:31 PM, Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:

[...]

It pretty much adds a dit after a dit and a dah after a dah. I haven’t used this unit for a good while but I think it has always had this problem. The firmware is out of date so my first move is to update it. The key works fine on other rigs.

Thanks....Jim....KQ3S

On Feb 22, 2021, at 9:44 PM, Julian N4JO <n4jo@...> wrote:

Sorry, I meant "does it only add dahs after dits and dits after dahs, as you first described, or is it random ?"
--
Julian, N4JO.

That's interesting. If I didn't know better (which of course I don't !) I'd guess there were noise filtering capacitors across the key contacts which slow the rise time after a key up for long enough to trigger another token. The internal pull-ups in the 328 (between 20k and 50k) are high enough in value to function as contributors to meaningful time constants with capacitors on the inputs. Depending on the timing of Hans' code, that might lead to false triggers. That suspicion is, of course, why I asked if you got dits after dits and dahs after dahs.

--
Julian, N4JO.

DD6DO

I have assembled my new 20m QCX-mini, 1.07a.It works fine (too little power, that's another chapter. A digital scope is on order ...).

The internal keyer is unreliable. For example, C (-.-.) sometimes becomes B (-...) or G (--.) or K (-.-).

14 WPM, no QSK, no auto space, Iambic A, keyer weight 500, practice on or off).

If I use an external keyer (QCX in straight modus), all is fine.

If I use the key on another radio, I have no problems.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you, Stephan DD6DO

Matt

Try reset on the radio, mine was doing similar and after reset the problem was resolved.

Matthew
ZS5PG

On Wed, 10 Mar 2021, 12:58 DD6DO <dd6do@...> wrote:
I have assembled my new 20m QCX-mini, 1.07a.It works fine (too little power, that's another chapter.  A digital scope is on order ...).

The internal keyer is unreliable. For example, C (-.-.) sometimes becomes B (-...) or G (--.) or K (-.-).

14 WPM, no QSK, no auto space, Iambic A, keyer weight 500, practice on or off).

If I use an external keyer (QCX in straight modus), all is fine.

If I use the key on another radio, I have no problems.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you, Stephan DD6DO

Jim Painter

Yeah Stephan, my QCX does the same thing. If I slow it down to 12wpm it’s OK.

Jim...KQ3S

On Mar 10, 2021, at 5:58 AM, DD6DO <dd6do@gmx.de> wrote:

I have assembled my new 20m QCX-mini, 1.07a.It works fine (too little power, that's another chapter. A digital scope is on order ...).

The internal keyer is unreliable. For example, C (-.-.) sometimes becomes B (-...) or G (--.) or K (-.-).

14 WPM, no QSK, no auto space, Iambic A, keyer weight 500, practice on or off).

If I use an external keyer (QCX in straight modus), all is fine.

If I use the key on another radio, I have no problems.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you, Stephan DD6DO

DD6DO

The QCX-keyer and I are not compatible so far. Other keyers are more generous to me.
It's not the RESET or the firmware.
I have to adapt.

My QCX 20m now makes almost 5W. I had an error in the low pass filter.
Thanks to my new 100 MHz - scope "FNIRSI-1013D".

QCX-mini, great little radio. I look forward to the next SOTA activation with the QCX-mini.

kacymcginnis@...

I am having the exact same problem. Brand new Rev 2 board. Puts out just under 5w no prob but dits/dahs are randomly inserted in all modes/ tried a full reset with same issues even in practice mode. Tried 2 different working keys with same issues.

Any ideas??

howard winwood G4GPF

It is probably RF getting on to keyed lead or headphone lead and thence into QCX board

On 19 Mar 2021, at 05:59, kacymcginnis@... wrote:

I am having the exact same problem. Brand new Rev 2 board. Puts out just under 5w no prob but dits/dahs are randomly inserted in all modes/ tried a full reset with same issues even in practice mode. Tried 2 different working keys with same issues.

Any ideas??

Jim Painter

No, it happens in practice mode.

Jim...kq3s