QCX mini back-light problem

g4edg

QCX mini up and running but the back-light function doesn't seem to work correctly. It can be turned on and off in the menu.... So the electronics are working correctly. If I try to toggle the back-light by double clicking the encoder push button... No result, other functions on this button work properly.
Firmware version 1.7a

Any ideas? 

Steve G4EDG

Mike Besemer - WM4B

From Hans:

1.07a now uses a triple-click of the left button, to toggle the backlight on/off. I was able to implement this firmware feature without increasing the Flash storage requirement, in other words, I managed to squeeze it in. However, Menu 7.1 "Dbl click" defaults to 300 milliseconds. By default you therefore have to triple-tap the left button, within 300 milliseconds. It can be done but you probably have to be a computer game addict to be able to hit the button three times in 0.3 seconds. Therefore if you want to use the triple-tap backlight toggle feature, you need to increase the 7.1 value. Try 500 milliseconds for example. This does make the firmware necessarily slower to respond to a single or double tap because it has to wait 0.5 seconds to see if you are going to hit it a third time. But in practice this slower response is not really noticeable or objectionable.

Mike

WM4B

From: QRPLabs@groups.io [mailto:QRPLabs@groups.io] On Behalf Of g4edg via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2020 3:19 PM
To: QRPLabs@groups.io
Subject: [QRPLabs] QCX mini back-light problem

QCX mini up and running but the back-light function doesn't seem to work correctly. It can be turned on and off in the menu.... So the electronics are working correctly. If I try to toggle the back-light by double clicking the encoder push button... No result, other functions on this button work properly.
Firmware version 1.7a

Any ideas? 

Steve G4EDG

Mike Besemer - WM4B

Here’s a link to the entire message:

https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/message/58387?

From: QRPLabs@groups.io [mailto:QRPLabs@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Besemer - WM4B
Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2020 3:23 PM
Subject: Re: [QRPLabs] QCX mini back-light problem

From Hans:

1.07a now uses a triple-click of the left button, to toggle the backlight on/off. I was able to implement this firmware feature without increasing the Flash storage requirement, in other words, I managed to squeeze it in. However, Menu 7.1 "Dbl click" defaults to 300 milliseconds. By default you therefore have to triple-tap the left button, within 300 milliseconds. It can be done but you probably have to be a computer game addict to be able to hit the button three times in 0.3 seconds. Therefore if you want to use the triple-tap backlight toggle feature, you need to increase the 7.1 value. Try 500 milliseconds for example. This does make the firmware necessarily slower to respond to a single or double tap because it has to wait 0.5 seconds to see if you are going to hit it a third time. But in practice this slower response is not really noticeable or objectionable.

Mike

WM4B

From: QRPLabs@groups.io [mailto:QRPLabs@groups.io] On Behalf Of g4edg via groups.io

Firmware version 1.7a

Any ideas? 

Steve G4EDG

Jim Sheldon

Just tried this and it does not seem to work.  Double click set to 500 msec but quick triple tap does nothing.  Backlight has to be turned off/on bu the menu command on mine and mine has the 1.07a firmware chip.

Jim, W0EB

On Dec 24, 2020, at 2:27 PM, Mike Besemer - WM4B <mwbesemer@...> wrote:

From: QRPLabs@groups.io [mailto:QRPLabs@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Besemer - WM4B

From Hans:

Mike

WM4B

Firmware version 1.7a

Any ideas? 

Steve G4EDG

Jim Sheldon

OOPS.  I was using the encoder button not the left button.  My bad.  Triple click of the LEFT button works as advertised!

Jim

On Dec 24, 2020, at 2:54 PM, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

Just tried this and it does not seem to work.  Double click set to 500 msec but quick triple tap does nothing.  Backlight has to be turned off/on bu the menu command on mine and mine has the 1.07a firmware chip.

Jim, W0EB

From Hans:

Mike

WM4B

Firmware version 1.7a

Any ideas? 

Steve G4EDG

Mike Besemer - WM4B

Jim – Confirm that you’re triple-tapping the LEFT button?

Mike

WM4B

From: QRPLabs@groups.io [mailto:QRPLabs@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Sheldon
Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2020 3:54 PM

Jim, W0EB

From Hans:

Mike

WM4B

Firmware version 1.7a

Any ideas? 

Steve G4EDG

Mike Besemer - WM4B

LOL!  Merry Christmas, Jim!

Mike

WM4B

Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2020 3:58 PM

OOPS.  I was using the encoder button not the left button.  My bad.  Triple click of the LEFT button works as advertised!

Jim

On Dec 24, 2020, at 2:54 PM, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

Jim, W0EB

From Hans:

Mike

WM4B

Firmware version 1.7a

Any ideas? 

Steve G4EDG

Jim Sheldon

Yes, the LEFT button.  I misread the original post and (assumed) Encoder button.  Must still be on the high of getting 5.3 watts out of mine at 13.8V without any further alignment after replacing the transistor (Q6) I broke during construction and actually making a QSO with it.  It only gets better from here.

Jim

On Dec 24, 2020, at 3:00 PM, Mike Besemer - WM4B <mwbesemer@...> wrote:

Jim – Confirm that you’re triple-tapping the LEFT button?

Mike

WM4B

Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2020 3:54 PM

Jim, W0EB

From Hans:

Mike

WM4B

Firmware version 1.7a

Any ideas? 

Steve G4EDG

g4edg

OK, thanks for the explanation of how the back light is toggled in firmware version 1.07a. 

I have my double click menu setting at 180 to give a fairly fast change from VFOA to VFOB and vice versa for finding the listening frequency of a DX station working split. At 180 the triple click on the left button is impossible, whereas a double click on the rotary encoder shaft was doable.

I need about 5-600 for the triple click to work comfortably  and at this setting the switching of the VFOs is far too slow.

I'll just have to resort to using the menu to switch the back light on and off.

I wonder why it was changed from a double click of the rotary encoder? is this going to be used for something else??

Be interested to hear.

73 Steve G4EDG

Mike Besemer - WM4B

Sent: Saturday, December 26, 2020 1:10 PM

OK, thanks for the explanation of how the back light is toggled in firmware version 1.07a. 

I have my double click menu setting at 180 to give a fairly fast change from VFOA to VFOB and vice versa for finding the listening frequency of a DX station working split. At 180 the triple click on the left button is impossible, whereas a double click on the rotary encoder shaft was doable.

I need about 5-600 for the triple click to work comfortably  and at this setting the switching of the VFOs is far too slow.

I'll just have to resort to using the menu to switch the back light on and off.

I wonder why it was changed from a double click of the rotary encoder? is this going to be used for something else??

Be interested to hear.

73 Steve G4EDG

Mont Pierce KM6WT

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 10:10 AM, g4edg wrote:
Yes, double click on the rotary encoder is already used for something else.

In one of Hans posts (which I can't locate at the moment) he mentions that it was moved because "double click on the encoder to adjust back lighting conflicts with the laser etching on the enclosure". 

The Enclosures indicate that double click on encoder is used to access Messages.
I didn't notice how this was etched in until Hans mentioned it...  (need new glasses...)

km6wt