Darling why are you so stressed and sleeping so little...

Hans Summers

...because dear, we had 1,000 QCX-mini orders in under 4 days. And by now we have 1,300 orders in the first 2 weeks of December, compared to a normal order volume of around 500 a month, and a previous record of 832 orders in August 2017, the month the original QCX made its debut.

...and then taking 1,000 QCX-mini orders is just the start. Soon after that, 200 emails come in from people who made a mistake in their haste and want to change their order.
I ordered 30m, I meant to click 40m, can you change it for me?
I forgot to add the TCXO I meant to click.
I forgot to click on the enclosure.
I clicked on the enclosure AS WELL AS added it separately, I don't want two.
I clicked all over the place and ordered all kinds of things I didn't intend to.
I clicked hardly anywhere and didn't get half of what I wanted.
I changed my mind about changing the band to 40m, can you change it back to 30m?
I don't see the transaction on my credit card statement can you check?
The bank charged me twice.
I didn't get a confirmation email and I've never heard of spam filters.
I've changed my mind again, actually I really do want 40m, change it one last time.
The dog ate my telephone and I need funds to buy a new one, please cancel.
I forgot how to spell my name and typed the wrong thing in the order form.
My telephone number isn't what I said it was.
etc etc.

...and then eventually when you start to finally manage to ship some, another 250 emails:
I received my shipment notification email yesterday, why does it still say collecting?
TNT estimated delivery today but it still says collecting.
How long do you think it will take?
How long will it take?
When will you deliver my ASSEMBLED QCX-mini order?
Why is it coming via USPS from Missouri?
etc etc.

...and after another day elapses, then the next 450 emails start:
Why haven't you shipped my order yet, is everything OK?
When are you going to ship my order?
How are you going to send my kit?
What if I change address in 5.313 days from now, can you route it to the new place?
My order ID is NNNNN, where am I in line?
I ordered in the first 4 minutes, why hasn't my order shipped yet?
Etc etc.

...meanwhile, since all the kits were sold out in under 4 days, fun fun it's time to start buying kits for another batch. And all the other kits which also ran out, or almost ran out, because people ordered them alongside their kits. Of course, it's nearly Christmas and nobody wants to do anything. Some suppliers are now out of stock. Nobody can ship anything anywhere because all the planes are full.
Etc etc.

...and then, just about when you started to give up on ever catching up on the volume of email flooding your inbox, a few people started to receive their kit and actually build it, and when they finished, hey they manage to smoke it. Not that I ever did in building or dev or testing but hey, there are more than one of them so it pays to take it seriously even if it is midnight and you were just about to go to sleep already. So figure out a solution to that. And then eventually 4.5 hours later, finally lay in bed mulling over the situation. And wondering if it really might have been a good idea all those years back to do an Electrical Engineering degree at university rather than Physics, so maybe you'd know something about how rubbish SMD capacitors could be. But then on the other hand you've never met an EE yet, or a Comp Sci major, who knew their posterior from their elbow, let alone what to do with either, so what hope is there that they'd know anything about SMD capacitors anyway? With all due apologies to the assembled EE and Comp Sci masses in the current audience, no offence intended, the opinions expressed herein may not be representative of the management, etc etc. I am merely relating what passed through my 98% delirious mind just before sleep finally took over, for a whole 10 minutes until the tinest cutest lab tech decided he'd been asleep a whole hour and who needs to sleep more than 1 hour at a time anyway? Sleep is grossly overrated by all those grown-ups. Zzzzz....

Ladies and Gentlemen, in summary:

YOUR PATIENCE WOULD BE APPRECIATED

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

Ryan Flowers

I for one am just glad that there are no genetically engineered dinosaurs involved. Definitely some chaos theory going on here!

Hang in there Hans. We're all for ya. Without you, we'd all be building $3 pixie kits from ebay, wondering how to get that 7.023 crystal up a few kc so we don't have to upgrade our license! Either that or we'd all be stuck doing CW through T/R relays!

--
Ryan Flowers - W7RLF
MiscDotGeek - QRP and More

Dan

Ryan, just get a few other 40m crystals for that pixie and a socket to be able to switch em out, worked great for me haha

air.dog@...

Hans,

I see you talent goes beyond electronics.  Your post of the trials and tribulations that you are going through was both well written and amusing.  I feel badly that you are dealing with the downside, but I thank you for having a good sense of humor about it.

My shipment still shows "collecting," but also shows that it will be delivered tomorrow.  Works for me.  The fact that this little gem is available at all still astounds me.

Thank you for your hard work and for your contributions to Hams around the globe.  All the best to you and your family.

Tim AA4Bi

N3MNT

Don't be too stressed.  I would guess most of us here have a $25,000 + vehicle that has had at least one recall for corrective action.  I am sure that will survive a simple mod in a $55.00 engineering marvel. I am still impressed by the QCX mini.

Daniel Curtin KF4AV

Hans,

Thank you for your great  design, your dedication to correcting faults - most of which are ours- and your honesty . In this case your openness and immediate dedication to solving the problem may have saved dozens of units, for us to blow up on our own time!

Maybe the politicians will learn from your example——Oh dear, I better lie down. I am becoming delusional.

73, Dan KF4AV

Tim Boyer

Hello to all,

I have been following this group for nearly 2 years now. I do not own a QCX. I’m interested in radio history and this group offered a good opportunity to follow the evolution (or devolution depending on how you look at it) of what happens when someone who is very smart and passionate about radio decides to turn a hobby into a business. I have found so far that when a large group of like-minded individuals get together, work together, and help each other—innovation happens. However, this same group can also destroy innovation and signal the end of a fine product and small business. And my observation so far has been that this business might be in jeopardy. Why? Because resources (both materials and manpower) appear to be stretched to their limits. And I hate to see this happen.

The primary problem I see is that of human nature: Hans offers great customer service, but has a sizable population of very, very needy customers. We are in an age once again where customers are looking for immediate gratification and treats every business as if it were a giant like Amazon. I am amazed by the fervor of customers worried about what sequence number their rig will be and exactly when it will arrive. Another problem is off-topic discussions. Imagine running a business and having to check hundreds (at least) of email messages weekly just to stay on track with the customers and answering questions. There’s also the fact that bad components do happen and not everyone has the skills to build a rig correctly the first attempt at it—but expect personal service to fix their problem rather than take a step back and try to diagnose the problem themselves.

My recommendations:

1. Practice Patience: your kit will arrive and will be of good quality. Christmas is the season of delays and COVID has made it worse.
2. Go through past posts before asking ANY question.
3. Unless you are skilled at radio electronics, never buy the first run of kits—there will always be bugs to work out.
4. If you are not skilled at radio electronics and you did buy the first run of kits, put it in a drawer and wait until the other kit owners start reporting potential problems before stating on your build.
5. Study the manual thoroughly. Be sure you understand how the radio works and what each component does before soldering the components.
6. Think of the business owner before you think of yourself. Hans has certainly put his customers first.

My two-cents worth, but I hope this at least helps keep what otherwise looks like a very good group of people.

P.S. I did finally order my first rig from Hans and am cautiously optimistic about its arrival.

73 all,

Tim KD8KYK

On Dec 15, 2020, at 8:48 AM, Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:

[...]

Rolf Ekstrand

Hans,

Thank  you for your efforts and dedication it is greatly appreciated!

73 Rolf K9DZT

geoff M0ORE

I think your number 5 should be number 1 then 2 and then new 1 again, and again.

the excellent manuals are only any good if you read EVERY word, don't skim and then expect others to do what you should have done in the first place.

Download the manual when you place the order and read it thoroughly while patiently waiting for the kit to arrive.

On 15/12/2020 14:46, Tim Boyer wrote:

[...]

Hi Tim

Thanks for the suggestions which are all very good...

However, this same group can also destroy innovation and signal the end of a fine product and small business. And my observation so far has been that this business might be in jeopardy. Why? Because resources (both materials and manpower) appear to be stretched to their limits. And I hate to see this happen.

No no nothing is in jeopardy. The youngest lab tech here is 5.5 months. That means another 17.5-something years of mouths to feed. I ain't going anywhere. Besides you forgot, the most important thing, being too dumb to know when to quit. So never fear. Anyway I'm just warming up!

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

Ted 2E0THH

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 03:45 PM, Hans Summers wrote:
Anyway I'm just warming up!
Love it Hans

73s Ted

Michael Greene

| I clicked all over the place and ordered all kinds of things I didn't intend to.

That is priceless!

Fred Spinner

First world problems.  For a small business owner this is really great news for you, honestly.  It's a much better problem to have than you perceive at this time.

I do advise to maybe not insult possibly 35% of your customers, though.  Even jokingly.  Maybe you are right and all of us EE's are incompetent (good luck with that), but I can confidently say that every single Physics major I know isn't working in their field. That is easier to prove.  Which is a total pity because I love physics and study it on my own.  I guess with my elbow.

The other Physics majors I worked with (mostly in GPS) always wanted to disparage engineers as well.  We never felt the need to reciprocate, so I don't understand this, honestly.  You had the hardest field of study at the technical college-- we had the second hardest.  Make fun of the civil engineers instead!  :) (Oh get over it guys, or we will target your bridge!)

I find your designs exceedingly clever, so this is just giving you crap back.   You are pushing the limits of some of the circuits and this was bound to happen eventually.  Nice job on getting the message out ASAP about the regulator.  Everyone will be fine.  It will turn out fine eventually.  We all ought to have hot air available as builders anyway!

Don't be so nice about changing orders.  I would say, if it's not shipped and a cancel request is made honor it... otherwise no changes...  I think you will go mad otherwise...

I have gone as far as saying the fact that you have sold so many of these kits give me hope of ham radio's survival.  I used to work with your audio filter designer when I was still in Iowa (and am still Facebook friends whatever that is worth).. and we are all impressed with what you are doing. (Not that you likely care.)  Please don't get so stressed out that you post stuff like this all the time.  You insulted him too, you know.

I will kindly mention for your use that FedEx doesn't have the reputation in the states that it does in Europe apparently and Amazon here has completely spoiled us on shipping and tracking.  I advise my US compatriots to not worry about it for 3-4 weeks. Plan on that and it will be there in that time frame.   TNT tracking on my last order was...interesting.. to say the least.  Did I complain? Not until now I guess... but overall it worked out just fine....  This one is USPS and it always gets there... eventually....I apologize for whining a bit about getting this one, but that's only because I am off from Friday to 2021 and have time to do it now.  And I am glad I wasn't the one of the first to build it now... :)

Carry on... it will all work out fine....

Fred W0FMS/7

Alan de G1FXB

Hans
be it physics, EE, Comp Sci or IT we have all sat in meetings debating the merits and / or biting our tongue over:-
project specification, feature creep, bugs, and undesirable features, et al.....

It's why you jumped the rat race.
errr,  NO SURENDER!

Alan

Wolfgang OE1MWW

Nilgün & Hans,

forgive me - please!

Impatient as I am, I have sent one and than another request for delivery info via contact form.
Take your time with the kids and Nilgün - right now, this is the most important thing to do! ;-)

The QCXmini kits will find their way, so or so...

73's de OE1MWW
Wolfgang

jjpurdum

For those who don't know, my degree is in Cliometrics, which is a branch of economics. Historically, economists have always taken a hit because we attempt to predict human behavior, which means assumptions and ceteris paribus (i.e., all other things being equal). With that background, consider the following story:

A mechanical engineer, a physicist, and an economist are stuck on a deserted island and haven't eaten anything but a few sea snails for days when a box floats ashore with a can of beans in it. An argument breaks out as to how to open the can.

The mechanical engineer says it's a simple task: Grab a heavy branch and bash the can until it opens. The others say it's not a good idea as it will get sand all over the beans.

The physicists suggests heating the can until the pressure is such that it splits the seam of the can. The others point out that they can't control the heat well enough to ensure the can won't simply explode, spraying nothing but bean juice all over the island.

The economist says: "I have the solution. Assume we have a can opener..."

No matter what field you studied or work in, somebody's going to pee on your parade.

Jack, W8TEE

On Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 11:36:33 AM EST, Fred Spinner <fred.spinner@...> wrote:

[...]

VE7VXO

Just so you know, Hans, ....I resisted sending one of those emails when I decided not to build my QCX-mini for 160m as I had initially planned and asked you to swap the filter parts in the order.  I solved the problem by ordering a QCX+.  So no dummy email, but I did make more work for you....but at least you got paid for that work!  Now I've got my T1's made and my coils wound, scraped and tinned...I just sit by the window looking for that little package...

Best regards and please know that your superhuman efforts are well appreciated.  Joe

Hans Summers

Hi Fred

Of course you are right on all... but seriously, if you think that's bad, you should hear what I have to say about the physicists! In my internal ranking system they are ordered in decreasing quotient of evilness starting with cosmologists by a huge margin, followed by particle physicists, then quantum mechanics, relativistists (Einstein et al) and in the end least of all evils, electromagnetism merely as it's closest to my electronic heart. I do remember the science vs engineering spats. But really I was in there for all the wrong reasons anyway. Plus I spent as much time in Mech Eng and Chem Eng and even EE as I did in the physics department. I only ended up in Physics anyway because I just had played so much electronics and software (80's home computers) before even getting to uni that the EE and CompSci curriculums looked like they might be boring. Black holes sounded sexy so physics it was. Though when evaluating 4-dimensional tensor algebra it seemed somewhat less attractive...

So don't worry Fred, I'm not altogether on anyone's side because nobody's altogether on mine (with all due apologies to Ents for any potential LOTR misquotes dimmed by the mists of time). Which applies to science vs engineering, politics, religion, QRO vs QRP, whatever. Which means I can instantly offend everyone or instantly love everyone just as easily.

So nobody take offense where none was intended. In any case I can always plead diminished responsibility for poor judgement, on grounds of insanity and/or severe sleep deprivation, all of which is legally provable. Oh don't get me started on lawyers. Or capacitors. Or babies. Babies? I mean, what's the matter with babies? Don't they sleep? Ever?

73 Hans G0UPL

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020, 19:36 Fred Spinner <fred.spinner@...> wrote:
[...]

Michael N6MST

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 09:17 AM, Hans Summers wrote:
what's the matter with babies? Don't they sleep? Ever?

Not when you need them to! Conducting a release like the QCX-mini with a 5.5 month-old in the house is akin to an actual miracle. You're doing fine, Hans :)

David Fine

And regarding your just warming up..... I hope you don't overheat with all of the pressure you have been getting.  Take a couple of days off and try to not think about 1000 minis all simultaneously going up in smoke.  Your family needs you and believe me, you children will grow up way too fast.  Mine sure did.

Thanks for all you do, Hans

Happy Holidays,

Dave, W0DF