Topics

#20m #error #20m #error

Stephan Hoffend

Hi Guys,

I have a very weird problem with my Ultimate3S. I have build everything together and started to transmit on 20m which was great. A few people could get my signal which was great. Did not have it on long, maybe for about a week in total.
So I put a power meter to check what the power output is on the WSPR. Now correct me if I am wrong, but I had a power output of about 70mw, which is quote strange as a friend of mine build exactly the same one and had about 250mw power output. So I checked everything again to make sure I did not mess up somewhere with the building of the unit. So I can see nothing wrong. I first thought my winding's around the toroids where not made properly and I also checked if the connections all make contact, which is all 100%. So I turned off the WSPR and put it in a box to have a look at it when I have more time.
So last week I took it out again and had a look at everything again, but when I turned it on it starts up, but when the counter starts it just continues counting. I did a reset as well in the hope it might have been some or other configuration problem, but it does not change and keeps on counting the time.

Did something got fried? At what can I have a look at? Is it maybe the processor that is busted?

I have attached a few pic to show what it does now when I turn it on.

Any help will be appreciated.

Stephan

M0RON

Hi Stephan,
The counting is simply because the time has not been set in the menu, I assume you are not using the gps?
As for power, this could be a number of things, check that you have it biased properly as per the manual, different bands can have different outputs, maybe a filter issue.
The U3s is a simple unit to set up properly, good luck.
Andy
--
The universe is made up of Protons, Neutrons, Electrons but contains only one M0RON.

@CurtisM

Stephan

You didn't mention how you are measuring power, and our meters can vary from one another. I am using a WM2 power meter designed for qrp, I won't say its perfect.

As Andy mentioned, do check the bias adjustment. Do you have filters to radiate in other bands?  Try lower frequencies than 14 MHz.

Of course keep the gps connected.

BTW 200 mW to 70 mW is only about one S unit. About 5 dB in wspr detection speak. Maybe its fickle 20m propagation.

Curt

geoff M0ORE

Before you start pulling the rig apart, keep it simple. Why do you think that the processor might be faulty. The timer counting up is indicative of no GPS signal to give timing info. If you don't have the GPS fitted, then you have to reset the clock every time you switch on.

This won't affect the output level so you need to check current consumption when you transmit compared with the current when you first built it and it was working OK ( you did record the current then didn't you ). You can force a transmit signal by pressing the right hand button.

Did you measure the power level when first built, it may have been 70mW 's then. That power on WSPR can travel a long way. I suspect that you may have a problem with the LPF, if the cutoff is a bit below 14MHz, then that will reduce your output.

If your friend is local, ask him if you can try his LPF in your rig and vice versa.

On 18/11/2020 14:47, Stephan Hoffend wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the advise and options that I can still try.
Just an update on a few things. The GPS is connected to the Ultimate3S. I had a thought that this might have caused this in the beginning, so I made sure the GPS is connected.
Secondly, the bias I have also adjusted to make sure it's not turned up to high. I have it now on the lowest setting possible just to get the kit working. Might this also have an effect on the power up if I turn if all the way to the lowest setting?

Thirdly, How I measure the power output. I have a analogue SWR meter, which also has a power output meter. I know it's know 100% accurate so I am taking that value with a bit of Salt. :)

I think the power output is not that big of a issue at the moment. I think my biggest concern is getting this kit going again. I can always afterwards post again additional information or another questions once I am sure that I have sort of the power output value again. This might change in any case when I do adjustments to the bias.

I will check again this afternoon once I am at home again, but thanks again everybody for the help.

Stephan

Alan G4ZFQ

I think the power output is not that big of a issue at the moment. I
Stephan,

This dummy load http://qrp-labs.com/dummy.html has a power measuring circuit and instructions how to use. You could copy it, make a QRP one.

As the others said when bias is set to zero 70mW is about what you may get. Set it as it says in the manual, just increase the standing current slightly, then 200mW will be achieved.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Stephan Hoffend

Thanks Alan for the tip with the dummy load. Will build one to do a few tests on the WSPR.

So I turned on the WSPR with my Antenna on and everything. Also did the programming as I had it before and it started as normal and started running as normal, so I though that I will give it some time on the 20m band to see if I can get any reply on the WSPR net, but after about 20min when I checked again on the display it looks like that it froze. So nothing is changing only the time is running, but the bottom part where that rest is displayed just sits there and does not change. What could be causing this error? Or is this even an error?