#toroid qcx+ toroid wind direction? #toroid

David LaBrie

When I finished winding the first vertically placed toroid L-4, type T37-2, I found the the ends were on the opposite side of the holes they were to go in. I unwound it and rewound it in what I thought was the opposite direction only to have it come out the same way. After 2 more attempts, I gave up and crossed the wires to their respective holes and soldered them in and called it a night. Then the next morning, I sat down with the  L-2 toroid and after 2 attempts, I was able to wind it so the ends aligned with the holes. So far I have not been able to succeed again with the final 2 toroids:L-1 and L-3, but I haven't given up.

So my question- Is it OK that I crossed the wires to match up with the holes on L-4? If not and I have to remove it, can it be rewound with the leftover wire used to wind the L-1 and L3 toroid from the low pass filter kit?

Thanks,
David
KA1JNK

Mike

Look at the layout on the pcb, put the toroid in the right position, put a
wire through the toroid and into the start pad of the winding, observe the
direction to wind upwards from there and around the core until back down to
the other pad

On 14 Nov 2020 at 6:13, David LaBrie wrote:

[...]

Ronald Taylor

David, you don’t have to rewind it. It will work fine as installed.

Ron

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 07:26 Mike <mike@...> wrote:
Look at the layout on the pcb, put the toroid in the right position, put a

wire through the toroid and into the start pad of the winding, observe the

direction to wind upwards from there and around the core until back down to

the other pad

On 14 Nov 2020 at 6:13, David LaBrie wrote:

> When I finished winding the first vertically placed toroid L-4, type T37-2,

> I found the the ends were on the opposite side of the holes they were to go

> in. I unwound it and rewound it in what I thought was the opposite direction

> only to have it come out the same way. After 2 more attempts, I gave up and

> crossed the wires to their respective holes and soldered them in and called

> it a night. Then the next morning, I sat down with the  L-2 toroid and after

> 2 attempts, I was able to wind it so the ends aligned with the holes. So far

> I have not been able to succeed again with the final 2 toroids:L-1 and L-3,

> but I haven't given up.

> So my question- Is it OK that I crossed the wires to match up with the holes

> on L-4? If not and I have to remove it, can it be rewound with the leftover

> wire used to wind the L-1 and L3 toroid from the low pass filter kit?

> Thanks,

> David

> KA1JNK

David LaBrie

Ron,
Thanks, that is a relief.

Paul Ross

The sketch in the instructions, and the instructions/photo are exact opposites! Puzzled me -- the paired windings are the critical ones. The "polarity" of the other two are immaterial.

Syd

I did the same mistake!  So I put the toroid vertically onto the PCB and started the winding from the PCB hole through the core and then finished the turns and suddenly the wire matched the holes on the PCB!
73 wt1v