QCX+ Menu 8.13 missing in 1.06 firmware #qcx #firmware #qlg1 #problem

Mont Pierce KM6WT

QCX+ firmware 1.05, with GPS attached, has an additional menu item:  8.13  GPS Data

In firmware 1.06, menu 8.13 is missing.

I guess that's by Design ???   I just checked the OpMan106.pdf  and it doesn't have  "8.13 GPS data " menu item

Hans:  was that just an oversight?   (I hope I hope)

73
km6wt

Hans Summers

Hi Mont

Menu 8.13 was retired in version 1.06 which saved me programming space to fix a lot of other things and improvements etc. 8.13 was no longer needed.

This is noted in the firmware version history page as well as in the email I originally posted on Friday about the changes for 1.06.

I mentioned 8.13 in my recent posts today on this topic merely because the original poster is using older firmware.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 11:30 AM, Hans Summers wrote:
Menu 8.13 was retired in version 1.06 which saved me programming space to fix a lot of other things and improvements etc. 8.13 was no longer needed.
Understood.  Sometimes tough decisions have to be made.  (I kind of liked 8.13, but I can see the data on other devices).

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 08:05 AM, Hans Summers wrote:
Removed GPS Data menu, and now Cal menus show "Waiting" while waiting for GPS lock, protect against from missed 1pps
Man, I got to learn to read better...

There it is, just like you said.  I just didn't connect that it was referring to menu 8.13

tnx
km6wt

Michael N6QP

Is the information from previous menu item 8.13 accessible somehow through the CAT interface or otherwise?
I am just starting to work on learning about the CAT interface, but hope to take advantage of that feature sometime soon.
I know it's not essential, but certainly nice to be able to check for troubleshooting purposes. (Yes, I'm still trying to work through my issues).

Hans Summers

Hi Michael

The information is not available through CAT either. The information is no longer parsed. Parsing that stuff from the GPS data stream took a fair bit of program space and I needed to free up some space for other needed things and some bug fixes. Also the GPS Info screen had a few problems (sporadic display of -- ) and I needed some space to fix those too (which I have). So since the info screen was non-essential and somewhat non-useful I decided to sacrifice it.

The QLG1 GPS has the red power LED, yellow LED which flashes with the serial data in one burst of pulses per second, and the green LED which indicates 1pps. So the concept with the QLG1 design from the start was to be able to show the status on those LEDs, independently of whatever was going on in the firmware. Divide and conquer sort of thing.

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 02:38 PM, Michael Greene wrote:
Is the information from previous menu item 8.13 accessible somehow through the CAT interface or otherwise?
Except in WSPR mode, the GPS is only connected temporarily to provide some function, like for calibration, or setting the clock for display.

I'm planning on can use the $19 Clock from QRP-Labs to monitor the GPS the data, and adding the 4-line LCD as described lower on the page of adding a 4-line LCD.  ( I find the GPS data fascinating... right now.  But that will probably where off over a few days.  hi hi )

Then, when I need to use it for the QCX+, unplug from the Clock, temporarily plug into QCX+, and return it to the Clock when done.

73
km6wt

Michael N6QP

Well, Mont,
You just gave me the reason I was looking for to get the QRPLabs clock kit! Thanks!
Michael

Chuck ke9uw

Is there a brand/model of 4 line display that fits onto the clock pcb? Is it a 16x4 or 20x4 display that fits? Source?