Topics

LightAPRS programming fails #lightaprs #programming

Leon ZR6N

So here's the thing: I have programmed Arduinos before, but the lightAPRS fails to program. I'm stuck. In Windows Device Manager it correctly picks up Com21 as the USB port and I've set the various parameters as described on GitHub. The program compiles without errors.

However, I don't know if the lightAPRS has a bootloader, or not. So I've tried changing a few options in software, but still no success. This is (a summary) of my error log:
Arduino: 1.8.13 (Windows 7), Board: "ATmega1284, No bootloader, Standard pinout, 1284P, BOD 2.7V, LTO disabled, External 8 MHz"
Sketch uses 52648 bytes (40%) of program storage space. Maximum is 131072 bytes.
Global variables use 3845 bytes (23%) of dynamic memory, leaving 12539 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 16384 bytes.
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
  ... (repeats)
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail
avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port
avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: Access is denied.
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail
avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port
  ... (repeats)
avrdude: stk500v2_disable(): failed to leave programming mode
Invalid library found in D:\LU_Data\Documents\Arduino\libraries\LightAPRS-W-pico-balloon: no headers files (.h) found in D:\LU_Data\Documents\Arduino\libraries\LightAPRS-W-pico-balloon

And there it stops and stares at me. What am I doing wrong?

--
73s de ZR6N Leon Uys from Johannesburg 0825735580

Mustafa Tan

Hi Leon,

Try to upload the sketch file with another usb cable or another pc if possible. If you still get this error contact support@...

TA2MUN

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 9:14 PM Leon <Leonuys@...> wrote:
[...]

Arv Evans

Looks like your device may not have a bootloader installed.  Try
using "old bootloader" to see if that works.
_._

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 12:14 PM Leon <Leonuys@...> wrote:
[...]

Problem solved! Thanks to everyone and Mustafa. I have already tried other cables, yes that is also good advice.

The root cause was too many libraries getting their shoelaces tied together and then falling over when trying to run. I'm always experimenting on the bleeding edge and I suspect it is expected to sometimes bleed.

Initially I simply uninstalled the Arduino IDE, and re-installed. The only thing that changed was the expression in my eyes. The problem persisted, challenging me undeterred.

The fix turned out to be simple: In addition to the uninstall of the folder in the Program Files group (which is automatically performed by the uninstall process), the metadata in the User -> AppData -> Local -> Arduino15 folder must also be deleted manually to remove all the preferences that the sneaky program is squirreling away there. This second step is not performed automatically by the uninstall routine, and must be done manually. Warning! The link may vary depending on your windows version and setup and I suggest (no, recommend) caution with the pruning shears - they are sharp for a reason.

Afterwards send in the cleaning squad, something like Crap Cleaner or Revo uninstaller, to sniff out any remaining hidden gems waiting to damage your reputation.

I'm on the air now, testing by driving around a little. Love the device. Thanks to everyone for bringing toys to boys.
--
73s de ZR6LN Leon Uys from Johannesburg 0825735580