DDP Express Shipping?

Hello, Yesterday I received a bill from Fedex, One month after my package was delivered requiring me to pay for my package from QRP Labs. I was incredibly infurated by this, but realize that this isn't my, or Hans' fault, just Fedex's scummy business practices. Now I'd like to ask, Is it possible for there to be a DDP (Delivery Duty Paid)  Express shipping option added to the store? Atleast for Canada, no such option is available, And it would be very appreciable if it was possible. Thanks.

Graham, VE3GTC

I have had this happen too and not only with FedEx.

Be careful what you are calling this extra charge.  It is probably not "duty" but rather our HST / GST ( ie sales tax ) and quite likely a small handling or service fee for FedEx.

I have found FedEx to be quite reasonable and UPS in my experience has been the worst (most costly)

In order for these taxes to be collected by the seller ( i.e. QRP Labs ), the seller would need to be set up with ( when selling to anyone in Canada ) the Canada Revenue Agency as a business authorized to collect these taxes on their behalf and transfer said collected taxes to the Agency.  All in all, not so simple or easy thing to do for a small business.

I don't think the courier companies are able to do this through the seller but they might be able to; my quick search on the subject was inconclusive.

cheers, Graham ve3gtc

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 2:05 PM craftxbox via groups.io <spam=craftxbox.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello, Yesterday I received a bill from Fedex, One month after my package was delivered requiring me to pay for my package from QRP Labs. I was incredibly infurated by this, but realize that this isn't my, or Hans' fault, just Fedex's scummy business practices. Now I'd like to ask, Is it possible for there to be a DDP (Delivery Duty Paid)  Express shipping option added to the store? Atleast for Canada, no such option is available, And it would be very appreciable if it was possible. Thanks.

I am unsure, they sent the bill in french, which I cannot read. Even if it's service charge, Didn't I already pay for that when ordering?

VE3KCL

This is a common problem in Canada , I believe you can avoid the extortion by having a Fedex account with a balance in it and instructing Fedex to debit your account so you don't get gouged for the extra $20 they charge for lending you the tax money for a few days. They often make mistakes in their favour ...TNT once charged me the $20 extra on a $2.99 special for pcb boards from PCBWAY... but had to back down as the hst amount is below the taxable limit.
Dave VE3KCL

Vernon Matheson

If it's listed at more than $20 CDN it has to go through detailed customes. If under it whistles right through.

So my QCX+ came in at $18 USD value which is more than $20 CDN so I ended up getting a bill for almost $15 CDN from FEDEX for the costs/taxes associated with the detailed customs inspection.

This is the first time ever but I have only ever used the TNT/FEDEX...everything else has been via postal services.

Vernon

On 2020-08-25 14:14, Graham, VE3GTC wrote:

[...]

Rachael Sanders

It is common here in the UK too. The courier company or our post office collect the vat and duty on behalf of HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs). They also add a ‘Collection and Handling Fee’......often as much as the VAT to pay. However, in my experience they collect it BEFORE they will deliver the parcel i.e. no payment.....no parcel!
Often annoying but I suppose if it’s due then we have to pay. After all if we had bought the item locally in the UK we would have paid VAT anyway.
It is always a pleasure when a parcel passes through customs without charge especially if it was expensive!
73 de
Rachael M1AYG

On Tue, 25 Aug 2020 at 15:24, VE3KCL <airdry@...> wrote:
This is a common problem in Canada , I believe you can avoid the extortion by having a Fedex account with a balance in it and instructing Fedex to debit your account so you don't get gouged for the extra $20 they charge for lending you the tax money for a few days. They often make mistakes in their favour ...TNT once charged me the $20 extra on a $2.99 special for pcb boards from PCBWAY... but had to back down as the hst amount is below the taxable limit.
Dave VE3KCL

dbauer@...

Same experience here on three occasions about a month after delivery from QRPlabs. Nice scam, Fedex.
Dave VE7AHT

Hans Summers

Hi Dave

I don't think FedEx have any scam going on.

I recently became aware of this situation via an email from Vernon, which I think applies specifically to Canada. Most countries have a threshold amount below which import customs don't bother to collect duty or sales tax (a.k.a. VAT). It apparently is the case that the threshold is lower for Canada than for other countries.

Denmark is another instance of a country having lower than normal threshold.

I do my best to label packages such that nobody ever has to pay any duty, sales tax or administrative fees. Sometimes I need to make adjustments in cases where countries have a low threshold like Canada and Denmark. I also got caught out once soon after the Brexit vote, when the exchange rate of US$ to £ Sterling fell sharply and the UK threshold (expressed in US$) was effectively exceeded.

Don't worry about it too much... QRP Labs kits shipments rarely attract import charges or fees. I adjusted Canadian and Denmark thresholds so they shouldn't be a problem either going forward.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020, 19:18 <dbauer@...> wrote:
Same experience here on three occasions about a month after delivery from QRPlabs. Nice scam, Fedex.
Dave VE7AHT

Dave VE3LHO

The limit was $20 for both GST/HST and duties, I believe, but I also understand that the limit was negotiated up as part of the "new NAFTA". Unfortuantely, the limit is now $40 for HST/GST and $150 for duties. This came into effect July 1st (Happy Canada Day!) "unfortunately" because even though you won't pay any duty until the value hits $150 the fact that tax must be collected at $40 will trigger the service fee for the courier. Like most (many? some? :-) people here I don't mind paying the tax but I'm not thrilled by the courier tacking on a charge.

Apparently this is only the case for couriers not Canada Post although its my experience that Canada Post already allows most packages in without tax/duty even over $20.
See https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/new-nafta-raises-duty-free-limits-for-private-couriers-not-canada-post-1.1456470

In my experience FedEx is neither better nor worse than the other guys. I've generally been charged a $10 fee by them and I think most of the others charge the same. They may have a fee that increases (at loan shark rates) as the amount of money you owe goes up (i.e. maybe the fee is $20 over some amount for tax+duty).

I think the only ways around this are 1) only ship goods with a (declared) value less than $40 or 2) have an account with the courier and use your account for the shipping (and settling of taxes/duties). #2 is a pain for Hans and probably won't get the good "corporate" shipping rates he negotiated.
(trying to get the couriers to let you, the recipient, clear the goods through customs is a non-starter here. I've had packages enter the country at Toronto -- 400Km away from me --- and packages from China often land in Vancouver 3.5K km away. Going to the customs desk at the airport is out :-)

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 10:38 AM, Hans Summers wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the explanation and your efforts on our behalf to minimize these extra costs. As always, Hans you go above and beyond. Much appreciated.
Loving the QCX+ kit build. Thanks again for the awesome line of kits for us to burn our own noses on! Hi Hi
Dave

D C

Sorry that this is not about ham radio.  Has anybody had any trouble with Paypal.  I have and I am ready to close my account with them.  The problem is that sometimes someone on here has something to sell that I want but they only use Paypal.  I have had problems with a client of theirs and contacted Paypal and they emailed the company from China the problem and they offered to resend the correct product to me again.   The product I order was a toolset and they sent me 20 throw away masks.  After I contacted Paypal, they put me in touch with the seller and they offered to resend the correct order, after waiting about 3 to 4 weeks, the tracking number showed it was at my local post office ready to ship out to me, that was two weeks ago.  I have emailed the seller again about this and now he says it got lost in the mail.    He offered me a $80 coupon to use on two sites that sell sport jersey or a sneaker site as long as I spend over what the coupon is worth.  When I turned that offer down, he offered to refund me 60% of my money, now its up to 70%.   I have since tryed to order an other toolset from an other company and they did the bait and switch with me, what they showed that you could buy is different what they sent.  The real problem that I am having with Paypal is I cant "TALK" to a human about those two companies plus I am having a login problem with my account.  Has anybody talked to a human at Paypal???????

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 9:49 AM RACHAEL SANDERS <m1ayg.rachael@...> wrote:
[...]

Sheldon Hartling

I received my package with two QCX+ kits on July 9th; and a letter from FedEx a month later on August 15th. The FedEx charges were $3.66 CAD for HST (value added tax) and $11.50 CAD for an “Advancement Fee”.

Of course it’d be a lot nicer not to have to pay these extra charges!  However, I understand the fee and did't mind the $10+HST (so much) considering the shipper was obligated by the Canadian government to collect the tax and to remit a commercial invoice on my behalf to Canada Customs with the itemized tariff classifications, codes and shipping details and a charges breakdown.  It would probably be better if FexEd included this $10 fee in their upfront charges so there’d be no surprises later.  Unfortunately, you’d still receive a bill for the HST/GST tax. (Government has to get its 'pound of flesh')  Thank you Hans - I’m glad the charges were based on the package’s declared value.  I'll have to order more kits to see if you've managed to tweak the value below the CAN tax threshold. :-)

I’m pretty sure this brokerage fee is typical and charged by all commercial shippers.  I've run into situations where packages were tied up for months with Canada Customs while CC mailed out letters requesting I declare a broker to manage the package entry.  A royal pain and often the admin charges were $50 or more.

73, Sheldon VE1GPY

Curt wb8yyy

DC

OT matter --

I am thinking since paypal is a money transfer firm, they can't help with your issue with a seller. You must dialog with the seller. I imagine paypal fine print may render them mostly out of the equation.

73 curt

Please read the information from the horse's mouth.
It is still $20 CAD is it's NOT from the US or Mexico and by mail
The $40 CAD is only via courier from the US or Mexico.
But a small price to pay for the privilege of living in this great country.
Dave
VE7HR

--
72 de Dave
VE7HR

D C

Curt,  I agree with you on that the find print will say that but I do wish they could help me with my login problem.  Now if I use paypal to buy something from someone on here they wont help if its a rip off.  I just dont want to use them anymore since there is no protection for me.  I love the ease of using paypal but not being ripped off.  So I will not be using them anymore.

DC

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 4:50 PM wb8yyy via groups.io <wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
DC

OT matter --

I am thinking since paypal is a money transfer firm, they can't help with your issue with a seller. You must dialog with the seller. I imagine paypal fine print may render them mostly out of the equation.

73 curt

Gary Bernard

I have had many, well over 300, PayPal transactions. When I needed help, maybe 2 or 3 times, they bailed me out. I give them super high marks.
Gary W0CKI

Curt,  I agree with you on that the find print will say that but I do wish they could help me with my login problem.  Now if I use paypal to buy something from someone on here they wont help if its a rip off.  I just dont want to use them anymore since there is no protection for me.  I love the ease of using paypal but not being ripped off.  So I will not be using them anymore.

DC

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 4:50 PM wb8yyy via groups.io <wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
DC

OT matter --

I am thinking since paypal is a money transfer firm, they can't help with your issue with a seller. You must dialog with the seller. I imagine paypal fine print may render them mostly out of the equation.

73 curt

D C

Gary WOCKI

I would like to know how they helped you out.  All they did so far is tell me and the seller to work this out.  I have no way to directly talk to them

DC

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 5:19 PM Gary Bernard via groups.io <garybernard2=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I had 2 seller issues and my money was refunded. It takes a bit of effort but you can reach a person.

Curt,  I agree with you on that the find print will say that but I do wish they could help me with my login problem.  Now if I use paypal to buy something from someone on here they wont help if its a rip off.  I just dont want to use them anymore since there is no protection for me.  I love the ease of using paypal but not being ripped off.  So I will not be using them anymore.

DC

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 4:50 PM wb8yyy via groups.io <wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
DC

OT matter --

I am thinking since paypal is a money transfer firm, they can't help with your issue with a seller. You must dialog with the seller. I imagine paypal fine print may render them mostly out of the equation.

73 curt

D C

I hope I can get my money back, but I am not holding my breath