Topics

QCX firmware updating #firmware

g4edg

At last I seem to have had some success with uploading new firmware to the QCX processor, but still have a problem.
I'm using a TinyUSB programmer and putting the target processor chip in an Arduino Uno (Having fried a set of PAs and Q6 trying to program the chip in situ) and using Avrdudess.

I successfully uploaded version 1.04 to a chip with a working version 1.05 on (mad I know but its all I have to test with) I can put this chip back in my QCX and the splash screen on bootup says version 1.04.........strangely my user settings i.e. programmed frequencies and keyer memories have remained...are these stored in an area of memory that is not touched by programming the chip?

I then successfully loaded version 1.05 back onto this same chip, back in the QCX, 1.05 on the splash screen, all working perfectly. All this on a 328P chip

I assume Ive cracked the problem?

However I have a 328-PU chip with version 1.00e on it which refuses to be recognised by Avrdudess, tried 328 and 328P as the selected processor....usual "check your connections" message. This chip functions perfectly in the QCX

Any ideas whats going on here?

Steve G4EDG

N3MNT

Try letting averdudess ID the chip.

g4edg

Hi

Thanks for the tip, I've never tried that before. It looks like the 328-PU with V1.00e is damaged in some way as it is not detected whereas a virgin 328-PU is detected with no problem.

Is this thinking correct or is there something special about a 328-PU factory programmed by QRP labs....fuses etc?

Steve G4EDG

Alan G4ZFQ

However I have a 328-PU chip with version 1.00e on it which refuses to be recognised by Avrdudess,
Steve,

As you have nothing to lose try the -F, I think? Ignore the identification check.
I've certainly used that successfully at times when the chip ident did not work but I was certain of what it was.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

g4edg

Thanks Alan

Using -F and then trying to program or read fuses for example fails and gives a different device signature each time....bad chip? It still works in the QCX, wouldnt be surprised if it is damaged with the amount of messing around its had.

I was surprised my user settings weren't over written when I went from 1.05 to 1.04 and back again to 1.05...is this normal?

Steve G4EDG

Alan G4ZFQ

I was surprised my user settings weren't over written when I went from 1.05 to 1.04 and back again to 1.05...is this normal?
Steve,

The fuses are set to retain EEPROM data so settings are saved when updating flash

73 Alan G4ZFQ