Vernon Matheson

Doug do you have all your jumpers installed in the correct positions on the LPF board.

Vernon

On 2020-08-18 15:18, Doug wrote:
Hi
I found one more problem with my new WSPR build. I have a relay board installed. I have
1-20M, 2-30M, 3-40M, and 4-80M LPF's installed.
If I enable 40M, everything works fine. It goes thru the transmit cycle without a hitch.
If I disable 40M and enable any other band, when it comes time for the transmit cycle,
it just sits there for a spit second and then it just goes dead. If I turn the power switch off
and wait a couple seconds and turn it back on it boots right back up.
I have searched the manual and can not find anything about this.
Any suggestions?????
I just stay on 40 meters now... Would like to get it to work...
Thanks in advance
Doug WA3ZHG

Doug

Hi Vernon
I just checked again and all the jumpers appear to be correct and all the LPFplug-ins are in
the correct position.... The LPF socket on the transmitter can be empty? Correct???

Vernon Matheson

Doug I presume you have your menus done correct assigning each band to band position on the LPF  and activating each band. 0 is on the main board and 1 to 5 on the lpf board.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

On 2020-08-18 22:15, Doug wrote:
Vernon
I have LPF's in slots 1-4 and have them assigned as such in the configuration with only slot 3 activated. That is for 40 meters and it works fine.
If I deactivate slot 3 and activate any of the other 4 slots that have LPF's in then, it does not transmit and it goes dead.
Now, I do not have an LPF in slot 0.... I did not think I had to have one in 0.... Could that be the problem? They say the relay board can be used by it's self...
Am I wrong ???
Doug WA3ZHG

N3MNT

Probably a long shot.  Do you have the LPF oriented correctly (IN/OUT)

Doug

I do.... I checked and re-checked....
Thanks for the suggestion
Doug WA3ZHG

Doug

Vern
I can do that. Do you want me to remove the LPF's??? I would rather not, but I can. The reason is that I made a mistake
when I wired this board. I soldered the stranded wire directly to the printed board. What has happen is as I take this in and out of the case, two wires broke off.
I had to solder the one wire on top of the board. The other hole I could get the solder and the stranded wire out of the hole. I tried solder wick and a solder snuffer....
From now on I am putting pins in any hole I can and then make up a molex plug.... Unless some of you seasoned builders have a good way to clean those holes out.
I say all this Vern because to remove and re-install the LPF's, I think I must again remove the unit from the case and risk another wire breaking loose. But I can do it if you
think you might see something on the board. I will first try to remove the LPF's while still in the case...
Doug

Vernon Matheson

No..leave them in...what wires are you talking about..your coax wires...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

I can do that. Do you want me to remove the LPF's??? I would rather not, but I can. The reason is that I made a mistake
when I wired this board. I soldered the stranded wire directly to the printed board. What has happen is as I take this in and out of the case, two wires broke off.
I had to solder the one wire on top of the board. The other hole I could get the solder and the stranded wire out of the hole. I tried solder wick and a solder snuffer....
From now on I am putting pins in any hole I can and then make up a molex plug.... Unless some of you seasoned builders have a good way to clean those holes out.
I say all this Vern because to remove and re-install the LPF's, I think I must again remove the unit from the case and risk another wire breaking loose. But I can do it if you
think you might see something on the board. I will first try to remove the LPF's while still in the case...
Doug

Doug

Vern
Here is a picture of the board

KEN G4APB

Doug, it sounds like a PSU supply dipping problem to me. Try a large value electrolytic across your 5v line.

73 Ken G4APB

Doug

Hi Ken
Thanks for your suggestion..... I monitored the 5 v line and I don't think it is dipping.
I think what I am going to do is order another relay board kit..... I am starting to think I have some faulty relays.
I do not see any other answer.... I could be wrong, but I figure if I build another relay board kit, there is nothing
else that could cause these problems. As I look at the wiring schematic, the five relays are attached to the five pins off the
MCU (ic-1)...It seems  straight forward....You can see my board... All the jumpers seem to be right. You can not see the diodes
in the picture, but I checked and they are on the board correctly.... The only other thing is the MCU, but I don't think that is the case. In fact, because
I wired those stranded wires directly to the transmit board and they tend to break when flexed much at all,, I am going to rebuild that kit and I will have a new MCU.... It transmits on 40 meters just fine and that is
the band I am most interested in, so I am fine for now.... But, I do want to try an figure out what went wrong here......
I want to thank everyone for your suggestions and time....I appreciate it very much.... Maybe I can return the favor in the future...
73's to all
Doug WA3ZHG

John McClun

From what I read in my build instructions, position 0 must have the highest band module.  In my case 10M (28Mhz).

Roger Hill

Hi John:

No that is wrong.

Highest band goes in position 1. Read the manual carefully.

Regards

Roger

G3YTN

---
***************************
Roger Hill
***************************

On 2020-08-19 15:31, John McClun wrote:

From what I read in my build instructions, position 0 must have the highest band module.  In my case 10M (28Mhz).

Vernon Matheson

You should read again John...copied and pasted from the assembly instructions.

Cheers

Vernon

On 2020-08-19 14:31, John McClun wrote:
From what I read in my build instructions, position 0 must have the highest band module.  In my case 10M (28Mhz).

haroldbone@...

Harold
g3ehq

Hi John
you can test your relays by removing relay board and bandpass filters,do not attempt connections to 10 pin conn.wire a lead to cathode of any diode
to 5v connect a Wire to the anode of the diode of the relay you want to test leave this wire disconnected and check for 5v on each relay if ok ground
anode wire the relay will operate if you want to measure the current connect mA meter in series with earth lead 28mA is normal,
Connect ohm meter to check correct operation if ok you have connected to the common bus which connects RF from bandpass filters,it's a job which
is worth doing on a new build.
Hope this helps
Harold

John AK4AT

What happens if you put your 40m LPF in another position and another band LPF in the position that is working fine now?

Andrew Lenton

Hi I suggest you remove all filters and put one in at a time and find out which slots and filters work Correctly. start with 40m as you know that filter works. The filters do have a “polarity”

I believe the order is 0 on the U3S board 5 above it counting down to 1 one is always in circuit so you must have a filter in it it needs to be the highest frequency of your line up make sure your 20m filter is fine as you will need to leave in place to test the others in slots 4 to 0

ps in a field camping at the moment so reply all from memory

73

G8 UUG Andrew

haroldbone@...

Assuming you have TX  ok  on band2 remove bandpass filter and fit to band3 select band 3 to TX,deslect band2 and check for o/p.
Do this for band 4/5 this will test your relay selector operation.you should have your highest freq filter in band1.

Harold