GPS and Message Tags. #u3s

Phil Crockford

To: Hans Summers 

Ultimate3S V3.12a.
I have recently built and tested the Ultimate3S V3.12a.
I have a number of problems that would indicate a software problem and I would appreciate it if you could look in to them
 when next you have time.
I am using the QRP GPS, I have 3 of them.
The Ultimate3S V3.12a. Seems to work well on all the modes I have tested, with the exception of the following:-
1: With the GPS validation enabled, the field that indicates the Fix: - 2D, 3D and none, does not seem to pass the validation and appears as a "-" on the LCD display. Disabling the validation seems to fix the problem however, this does mean that bum data from the GPS will not be detected.
2: The second is related to the first GPS problem. I am using the #LT and #LN tags in the message entry to send a Position
 but, the Lat and Long fields do not transmit if the GPS validation is enabled as the validation of the data fails.
 If I turn the GPS validation off the Lat and Long are then sent.
3: Having got the Lat and Long Tags to send I am aware that neither of the N/S and E/W suffixes are transmitted.
My Message consists of the following: - Call, Maidenhead locator, Lat, Long and is sent using CW.
Message setting = #CS #M6 #LT #LN
Code received = G8IOA IO92RP 52376012 00030356
Please note the absence of the N/S and E/W suffixes.
Phil G8IOA 7 3

Dean Smith

Hi, Phil,
On point one, I think just about everyone who frequents this forum, has pushed this one on Hans. See previous posts. This is something I'm afraid we will have to live with, as it:s possibly deeply embedded in the code with no bytes to spare :(.
G7EOB

Phil Crockford

Thanks for your input.

Phil G8ioa

From: QRPLabs@groups.io [mailto:QRPLabs@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dean Smith
Sent: 15 August 2020 08:31
To: QRPLabs@groups.io
Subject: Re: [QRPLabs] GPS and Message Tags. #u3s

Hi, Phil,
On point one, I think just about everyone who frequents this forum, has pushed this one on Hans. See previous posts. This is something I'm afraid we will have to live with, as it:s possibly deeply embedded in the code with no bytes to spare :(.
G7EOB

geoff M0ORE

Hi Phil,

Don't know what I have different to your setup. My U3S is set for WSPR so I don't have any message tags set in your points 2 & 3. The only field I have set is the callsign. Other fields are not used in WSPR. I have not tried other modes so perhaps the problem your have is only apparent in modes other than WSPR.

I am set for GPS mode 2 and GPS info check 0 1 if this helps.

I am currently seeing the following display :

A 3D f09 t10 s33

The A  and 3D appear at the same time as the shack clock which uses the same GPS unit, the data for the clock is using the basic TTL while the data for the U3S is fed via TTL to RS232 chips. One on the output of the clock unit in one box and another to reverse the signal back to TTL built into the U3S box.

On 15/08/2020 09:02, Phil Crockford wrote:

Ultimate3S V3.12a.
I have a number of problems that would indicate a software problem and I would appreciate it if you could look in to them
 when next you have time.
The Ultimate3S V3.12a. Seems to work well on all the modes I have tested, with the exception of the following:-
1: With the GPS validation enabled, the field that indicates the Fix: - 2D, 3D and none, does not seem to pass the validation and appears as a "-" on the LCD display. Disabling the validation seems to fix the problem however, this does mean that bum data from the GPS will not be detected.
2: The second is related to the first GPS problem. I am using the #LT and #LN tags in the message entry to send a Position
 but, the Lat and Long fields do not transmit if the GPS validation is enabled as the validation of the data fails.
3: Having got the Lat and Long Tags to send I am aware that neither of the N/S and E/W suffixes are transmitted.
My Message consists of the following: - Call, Maidenhead locator, Lat, Long and is sent using CW.
Phil G8IOA 7 3

geoff M0ORE

Sorry, forgot to add this in previous message.

Do you see the N/S & E/W displayed while the unit is not transmitting as described on page 13. Hans has edited the basic $GPPRMC string to include the degree and  minute symbols to make it easier for us to read. The data from the GPS string has no space between the degrees and minutes.

A sample readout from my GPS data as displayed on HyperTerm is as shown. ( This is via the TTL to RS232 chip)

$GPGGA,113026.000,5044.5565,N,00139.1583,W,1,9,1.20,32.4,M,47.9,M,,*7E
$GPGSA,A,3,32,08,11,21,01,27,10,03,22,,,,2.08,1.20,1.70*01
$GPGSV,3,1,12,11,75,285,26,08,71,156,39,01,48,270,34,21,39,081,40*7C
$GPGSV,3,2,12,27,36,136,38,22,34,207,34,10,33,052,33,32,26,102,37*75
$GPGSV,3,3,12,36,24,139,35,28,22,318,18,03,11,210,29,20,02,047,*75
$GPRMC,113026.000,A,5044.5565,N,00139.1583,W,0.00,317.70,150820,,,A*75

On 15/08/2020 12:21, geoff M0ORE via groups.io wrote:

Hi Phil,

Don't know what I have different to your setup. My U3S is set for WSPR so I don't have any message tags set in your points 2 & 3. The only field I have set is the callsign. Other fields are not used in WSPR. I have not tried other modes so perhaps the problem your have is only apparent in modes other than WSPR.

A 3D f09 t10 s33

The A  and 3D appear at the same time as the shack clock which uses the same GPS unit, the data for the clock is using the basic TTL while the data for the U3S is fed via TTL to RS232 chips. One on the output of the clock unit in one box and another to reverse the signal back to TTL built into the U3S box.

Ultimate3S V3.12a.
 when next you have time.
Phil G8IOA 7 3

Alan de G1FXB

One problem is it looks like not everybody is equally effected.

Phil,
Can you confirm
Are your U3S / QLG1 kits all recent purchases or are they old stock just recently constructed?
Have you another non-QLG1 GPS device that has a compatible NMEA out, easily accessible to substitute?

The fact your combination displays the " -- " in the GPS data field suggests it has either received a corrupt or more likely just an expected value in the GPS string as you don't describe any erroneous data elsewhere with validation set off.

The QLG1 was know to be compatible, much has evolved in the meantime.
The last firmware update to the U3S was in 2017
It's  known is that YIC shipped  a batch of modules in 2018 with PPS obviously disabled, breaking the heartbeat / freq discipline function and required Hans provide re flashing instructions
or to recall those affected who did not have the facility at that time.
Perhaps they have pulled another trick by changing their firmware again but maintains comparability with Hans other products, as at least some QLG1's and other non QRP Labs GPS continue to work with the U3S with validation enabled.
Confirmed by M0ORE / G4ZFQ

Alan

Ultimate3S V3.12a.
 when next you have time.
Phil G8IOA 7 3

-- 
Smell Czech corruptions are inevitable

Phil Crockford

Thanks for your reply. Yes the N/S & E/W are displayed on the LCD . It is when I attempt to send the Lat/Long using the message tags in Morse or CWFSK that the received data excludes the suffixes. I am aware the $GPG data format.

AS far as I am aware the U3s works correctly in all other ways including the GPS frequency corrections.

Thanks

From: QRPLabs@groups.io [mailto:QRPLabs@groups.io] On Behalf Of geoff M0ORE via groups.io
Sent: 15 August 2020 11:54

Sorry, forgot to add this in previous message.

Do you see the N/S & E/W displayed while the unit is not transmitting as described on page 13. Hans has edited the basic $GPPRMC string to include the degree and  minute symbols to make it easier for us to read. The data from the GPS string has no space between the degrees and minutes.

A sample readout from my GPS data as displayed on HyperTerm is as shown. ( This is via the TTL to RS232 chip)

$GPGGA,113026.000,5044.5565,N,00139.1583,W,1,9,1.20,32.4,M,47.9,M,,*7E
$GPGSA,A,3,32,08,11,21,01,27,10,03,22,,,,2.08,1.20,1.70*01
$GPGSV,3,1,12,11,75,285,26,08,71,156,39,01,48,270,34,21,39,081,40*7C
$GPGSV,3,2,12,27,36,136,38,22,34,207,34,10,33,052,33,32,26,102,37*75
$GPGSV,3,3,12,36,24,139,35,28,22,318,18,03,11,210,29,20,02,047,*75
$GPRMC,113026.000,A,5044.5565,N,00139.1583,W,0.00,317.70,150820,,,A*75

On 15/08/2020 12:21, geoff M0ORE via groups.io wrote:

Hi Phil,

A 3D f09 t10 s33

Ultimate3S V3.12a.

when next you have time.

Phil G8IOA 7 3

Dean Smith

Just a thought Phil maybe you could add them to the msg string ie' #LT N #LN W

Phil Crockford

Thanks for getting back to me.

I can confirmed that I am using the U3S / QLG1 kits all recent purchases within the last two/three months.

I have three other QLG1 GPS’s purchased over the last two years or so that, when used with the U3s produce the same validation affect.

I have a QRPLabs “Signal Gen” that uses the QLG1 for frequency calibration. I am not able to confirm if GPS validation is a problem on it as it is not at my location at this time but, I will check to see how it works ASAP. As it is only used for frequency generation and does not use GPS data in that role or if it even has the display facility for GPS data. I have never checked it like most others I assume.

Unfortunately I do not have an alternative GPS type to try other than another QLG1.

The " -- " on the display, with validation switched on, is constant and has been that way all the time. At no time does it indicate anything different.

With GPS validation turned off the " -- " is replaced with the “2D,3D,N” depending on the status of the GPS data.

The reason why I have raised this issue and the missing N/E S/W data from the Lat/Long Tags on CW is that the documentation that is provided by QRP goes to the length to state that the QLG1 kit is known to perform correctly on validation of the GPS data. And that the fields Lat/Long and the suffixes are available for TX on CW modes.

Like most others, I have, until now, used the GPS to assist in frequency corrections along with the 1PPS.

It seems that it is possible that I am the first one who has attempted to use the Lat/Long Tags, derived from the GPS, in the U3s.

If it means running without GPS validation, as it may have to, because the U3s will not transmit the Lat/Long if validation fails, so be it  but, the missing Lat Long suffixes is a problem as the intended location for the U3s is likely to move, and as I live almost on the Central Meridian of 0 degrees in the UK, it is a problem as the location will become ambiguous.

I hope I have been as accurate as I can and covered all bases.

Thank you all for your assistance.

Phil G8ioa

From: QRPLabs@groups.io [mailto:QRPLabs@groups.io] On Behalf Of Alan de G1FXB
Sent: 15 August 2020 13:46

One problem is it looks like not everybody is equally effected.

Phil,
Can you confirm
Are your U3S / QLG1 kits all recent purchases or are they old stock just recently constructed?
Have you another non-QLG1 GPS device that has a compatible NMEA out, easily accessible to substitute?

The fact your combination displays the " -- " in the GPS data field suggests it has either received a corrupt or more likely just an expected value in the GPS string as you don't describe any erroneous data elsewhere with validation set off.

The QLG1 was know to be compatible, much has evolved in the meantime.
The last firmware update to the U3S was in 2017
It's  known is that YIC shipped  a batch of modules in 2018 with PPS obviously disabled, breaking the heartbeat / freq discipline function and required Hans provide re flashing instructions
or to recall those affected who did not have the facility at that time.
Perhaps they have pulled another trick by changing their firmware again but maintains comparability with Hans other products, as at least some QLG1's and other non QRP Labs GPS continue to work with the U3S with validation enabled.
Confirmed by M0ORE / G4ZFQ

Alan

Ultimate3S V3.12a.

when next you have time.

Phil G8IOA 7 3

-- 
Smell Czech corruptions are inevitable

Phil Crockford

Ok thanks for that.

If I use the same settings as you have I get the following:-

A – f10 t10 s32

That’s Using a QRP Labs GPS receiver.

What GPS are you using please.

Phil G8ioa

From: QRPLabs@groups.io [mailto:QRPLabs@groups.io] On Behalf Of geoff M0ORE via groups.io
Sent: 15 August 2020 11:21

Hi Phil,

A 3D f09 t10 s33

Ultimate3S V3.12a.

when next you have time.

Phil G8IOA 7 3

geoff M0ORE

Hi Phil, not certain if that question is directed at me but I am using a standard QRP Labs GPS kit with external aerial. That is mounted in a metal box which also has the shack clock and ProgRock hence the external aerial.

On 16/08/2020 12:52, Phil Crockford wrote:

Ok thanks for that.

A – f10 t10 s32

Phil G8ioa

Hi Phil,

A 3D f09 t10 s33

Ultimate3S V3.12a.

when next you have time.

Phil G8IOA 7 3

Phil Crockford

1/            Can anyone, who has a U3S and the QLG1  GPS, who’s validation does work correctly please tell me the version of the firmware they have. I have, what I think is the latest version V3.12a, It is hard to tell as the revision history not mention this version?

2/            Is it possible to still obtain a previous version of firmware?

3/            Does anyone know when the Lat Lon mod was done and what version precedes the modification “. Hans has edited the basic $GPPRMC string to include the degree and  minute symbols to make it easier for us to read. The data from the GPS string has no space between the degrees and minutes.”

It would seem to me that the modification to make the Lat and Long more acceptable on the LCD display has caused a problem with the #Lat and #Lon Tags and if I can find out what versions work and if it is possible to get an earlier version from before  the Lat and Lon fields were modified, It would be acceptable to me as there does not seem to be much chance of getting this problem corrected according to comments received in this conversation.

Thank you all for your input and help.

Phil G8ioa

Sent: 16 August 2020 16:03

Hi Phil, not certain if that question is directed at me but I am using a standard QRP Labs GPS kit with external aerial. That is mounted in a metal box which also has the shack clock and ProgRock hence the external aerial.

On 16/08/2020 12:52, Phil Crockford wrote:

Ok thanks for that.

A – f10 t10 s32

Phil G8ioa

Hi Phil,

A 3D f09 t10 s33

Ultimate3S V3.12a.

when next you have time.

Phil G8IOA 7 3

Alan G4ZFQ

I think is the latest version V3.12a, It is hard to tell as the revision history not mention this version?
? http://www.qrp-labs.com/ultimate3/u3firmware.html Maybe you'll find the mod you mention, I do not see it.

2/            Is it possible to still obtain a previous version of firmware?
https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/files/Firmware%20for%20U3%20and%20U3S%20kits?p=dirname,,,20,1,20,0&jump=1

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Phil Crockford

Thanks for replying to my request. I had already scanned the documents you indicated and have examined them all but cannot find any mention of the chance made to the Lat Long display as indicated by the forum comments.
As I do not know when the mod was done I can't attempt to order firmware that may provide a fix for the problem I have.

Unless I can find someone who has a U3s that has good GPS validation and or an un modified on screen display of the LAT and Long I will have to reluctantly abandon my plans for the use of the U3s.

Thanks AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP.

Phil G8IOA.

-----Original Message-----
From: QRPLabs@groups.io [mailto:QRPLabs@groups.io] On Behalf Of Alan G4ZFQ
Sent: 21 August 2020 13:51

I think is the latest version V3.12a, It is hard to tell as the
revision history not mention this version?
? http://www.qrp-labs.com/ultimate3/u3firmware.html Maybe you'll find the mod you mention, I do not see it.

2/ Is it possible to still obtain a previous version of firmware?
https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/files/Firmware%20for%20U3%20and%20U3S%20kits?p=dirname,,,20,1,20,0&jump=1

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Dean Smith

The current version of firmware is 3.12a.To my knowledge, all the previous versions of the firmware are in the files section.
There has not been in my mind a revision to the lat/long tags since creation by Hans, maybe somebody else knows different (chime in).
But one is puzzled why you would send position data in raw format? Due to position ambiguity (GPS wandering) the last digits are changing all the time! USA military spec for outsider unpaid use!  A QRA locator of four and 6 digit is usually more than adequate for most use.

N3MNT

Recently built U3S ver 3.12a and OLG1.  No issues with WSPR.  Longest report 8950 mi on 20M.

Alan de G1FXB

Bob,
not calling just you out, but to all replies in this thread.
To advert Chinese *whispers* the original poster has the issue with the CW mode and Message setting = #CS #M6 #LT #LN
specifically #LT and #LN tag formatting

WSPR mode cannot encode any of the U3S custom #message tags.......

Alan

On 21/08/2020 23:04, N3MNT wrote:
Recently built U3S ver 3.12a and OLG1.  No issues with WSPR.  Longest report 8950 mi on 20M.

Phil Crockford

Thanks for pointing that out Alan.

Phil G8IOA

From: QRPLabs@groups.io [mailto:QRPLabs@groups.io] On Behalf Of Alan de G1FXB
Sent: 22 August 2020 09:09

Bob,
not calling just you out, but to all replies in this thread.
To advert Chinese *whispers* the original poster has the issue with the CW mode and Message setting = #CS #M6 #LT #LN
specifically #LT and #LN tag formatting

WSPR mode cannot encode any of the U3S custom #message tags.......

Alan

On 21/08/2020 23:04, N3MNT wrote: