Topics

Change request, add morse characters #qcx #firmware

Dick PA3CW

Great little rig the QCX +, very impressed.  A request for a small addition in next firmware:  Please add the morse character + (AR, di dah di dah dit) and VA (di di di dah di dah), i always use them in my messages, and unable to do so yet in QCX.  Small request :)
Thanks!
Dick PA3CW

Hans Summers

Hi Dick

Thanks, this was requested and is already on the list.

One question I have - do some people say VA and some SK or is it always the same? Is one usage more common than the other? I always thought of it as VA.

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 10:39 PM Dick PA3CW <dick.hissink@...> wrote:
Great little rig the QCX +, very impressed.  A request for a small addition in next firmware:  Please add the morse character + (AR, di dah di dah dit) and VA (di di di dah di dah), i always use them in my messages, and unable to do so yet in QCX.  Small request :)
Thanks!
Dick PA3CW

Trystan G0KAY

Hans,

When I did my morse test,  it was "VA".

I think of dead people when I see "SK".

Trystan

Mike

That is understandabl as SK, as in silent Key, derives from the SK as in end
of transmission.
You are just of a morbid mind Trystan <vbg>

On 12 Aug 2020 at 0:37, Trystan G0KAY wrote:

Hans,

When I did my morse test,  it was "VA".

I think of dead people when I see "SK".

Trystan

Lup Schlueter

...and SK is the correct Abreviation. In no way VA, even in empire publications i can
not find this interpretation. Checked ARRL Handbook back up to 1932, always SK.
Where VA is ever published?
73 de DJ7SW, cw for ever since 1958.

On 12.08.2020 09:37, Trystan G0KAY wrote:
Hans,

When I did my morse test,  it was "VA".

I think of dead people when I see "SK".

Trystan

Gerald Ball

Hi

As I remember from 52 yrs ago during my training as a merchant navy sparks, the correct way to end a transmission was to send AR VA. I think both sets of characters where shown with a bar above AR and a bar above VA which I think indicated that they where slurred together ie  DitDAHDITDAHDIT  DITDITDITDAHDITDAH And of course in the case of the latter it can be read as VA or SK.

Gerry G4OJF

Evan Hand

I am curious as to where the VA as the proword "end of contact" is defined.  I have done a search on the internet and cannot find the reference.

Again, this is just curiosity, not meant to be negative in any way.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Roger Hill

Try Wikipedia.

Search for SK, and it says VA is an alternative.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosigns_for_Morse_code

73

Roger

G3YTN

---
***************************
Roger Hill
***************************

On 2020-08-12 12:02, Evan Hand wrote:

I am curious as to where the VA as the proword "end of contact" is defined.  I have done a search on the internet and cannot find the reference.

Again, this is just curiosity, not meant to be negative in any way.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Evan Hand

Thank you, Gerry.  That quenches my curiosity.

73
Evan
AC9TU

John Baines

How can I tell if someone is sending SK or VA ?

If I can’t tell the difference, does it matter which is used?

(sorry,I’m in an awkward mood)

72/73
John
M0JBA

On 12 Aug 2020, at 12:06, Evan Hand <elhandjr@...> wrote:

Thank you, Gerry.  That quenches my curiosity.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Roger Hill

You can't: they are identical.

It's in YOUR head!

Roger

G3YTN

---
***************************
Roger Hill
***************************

On 2020-08-12 12:11, John Baines via groups.io wrote:

How can I tell if someone is sending SK or VA ?

If I can't tell the difference, does it matter which is used?

(sorry,I'm in an awkward mood)

72/73
John
M0JBA

On 12 Aug 2020, at 12:06, Evan Hand <elhandjr@...> wrote:

Thank you, Gerry.  That quenches my curiosity.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Gerald Ball

Hi Evan

Thanks for your vote of confidence. Having said what I said, after my training I went into industry and did not serve in the merchant navy. So perhaps it was something we where taught but was not necessarily defined as that by most serving sparks. Perhaps anyone who may have served as a sparks could confirm or blow a hole in my recollections.

Hans Summers

Yeahbut... the question is, if the QCX/QCX+ decodes it... what should be shown on the display? VA or SK?

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 2:12 PM Roger Hill <rhill@...> wrote:

You can't: they are identical.

It's in YOUR head!

Roger

G3YTN

---
***************************
Roger Hill
***************************

On 2020-08-12 12:11, John Baines via groups.io wrote:

How can I tell if someone is sending SK or VA ?

If I can't tell the difference, does it matter which is used?

(sorry,I'm in an awkward mood)

72/73
John
M0JBA

On 12 Aug 2020, at 12:06, Evan Hand <elhandjr@...> wrote:

Thank you, Gerry.  That quenches my curiosity.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Gerald Ball

Hi Hans
Not too sure how this topic started and don't understand how this is being added to firmware. In what form will it manifest itself. Or am I missing something simple?

Gerry G4OJF

Hans Summers

Hi Gerry

It was requested by Dick PA3CW, and previously, by others:

"Great little rig the QCX +, very impressed.  A request for a small addition in next firmware:  Please add the morse character + (AR, di dah di dah dit) and VA (di di di dah di dah), i always use them in my messages, and unable to do so yet in QCX.  Small request :)"

I don't know how it will be added or in what form it will manifest itself. This is partly why I am asking these questions...

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 2:22 PM Gerald Ball via groups.io <gerryball2=talktalk.net@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Hans
Not too sure how this topic started and don't understand how this is being added to firmware. In what form will it manifest itself. Or am I missing something simple?

Gerry G4OJF

John AK4AT

I always interpreted it as <SK> at the end of the QSO. <KN> is another prosign I use.

Daniel Walter

As it appears SK is the more common abbreviation, I would suggest SK. Of course, if it can be displayed with a bar above it or as a merged character in a single space or as <EOT>, then it doesn't matter.
--
73, Dan  NM3A

Shirley Dulcey KE1L

SK is the abbreviation I have always seen in ARRL publications. All the people in this thread from locations I can identify (by their callsigns) who have mentioned VA are from the UK; perhaps that abbreviation is a UK thing.

Something not everybody knows: the distress signal SOS is also meant to be sent as a continuous string of dots and dashes. Most references to it. at least the ones appearing in literature other than ham radio technical publications, have lost the bar over the letters, making that unclear. Let's hope you never have need to use this information in the real world.

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 8:18 AM Daniel Walter via groups.io <nm3a=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
As it appears SK is the more common abbreviation, I would suggest SK. Of course, if it can be displayed with a bar above it or as a merged character in a single space or as <EOT>, then it doesn't matter.
--
73, Dan  NM3A

Gerald Ball

Hi Shirley

Not too sure about VA being a UK thing. Might point you in the direction of:

www.navyradio.com/manuals/1929_comm_inst_ii.pdf

Very little is mentioned about VA until Chapter 13 page 21. nowhere is SK made reference to. Which makes me think SK is a corruption of VA

And before you say anything. No I did not have anything better to do today!!

73 Gerry G4OJF

Gerald Ball

Hi Shirley

Correction to Web site