Topics

500 times for the SMA

George Korper

We should live so long!

ajparent1/KB1GMX

Worn out dozens over the years.  I'd add 500 is optimistic.
Failure mode is center socket looses flex and fails.
Second most common the center pin of cable breaks loose
from the internal wire.

Best are the stainless steel steel types, the gold ones are eye candy
and generally fail faster though are easier to solder.

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.

George Korper

Well actually, I only object to the length of the current BNC.
I was trying to match the "MountainTopper" and a short BNC is used on that I think.
So I would like to see Han's comment on
reducing the length. The size really needs to include that.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 11:40 AM ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...> wrote:
Worn out dozens over the years.  I'd add 500 is optimistic.
Failure mode is center socket looses flex and fails.
Second most common the center pin of cable breaks loose
from the internal wire.

Best are the stainless steel steel types, the gold ones are eye candy
and generally fail faster though are easier to solder.

Allison
Please reply on list so we can share.

g3vgr@...

I never understood why hf qrp rigs have BNC sockets. They're totally unnecessary at HF, difficult to use with RG174 and breakages in the field are impossible to easily repair.
For portable operation, I've always used phono plugs on coax feeder and a phono/BNC adapter on the BNC socket. Much easier
73, Dave G3VGR

George Korper

Good low profile solution, and they work fine for me. Used on SotaBeam tuners.