Topics

#antenna #qrp-dx Gents - a guide for the Perplexed , and what's more Free. ARRL Antenna basics book. #qrp-dx #antenna


Timothy Fidler
 

if you look the Files section of  this site you will find ARRL Antenna Basics book. Ie. a basic introduction to RF engineering of Antennas and power delivery. Only on Hans site do you get such quality help.  Let the Hoi polloi  flounder in the Outer Darkness.

It is text searchable.

I did a few checks and it has NO NADA  content on the very useful end fed Zepp, the type with a phasing leg. 
Well it is a BASICs book.

It comes via a benefactor,  He's like me - he's my brother.


Podolsky A
 

If you mean the files section of this group, I don't see that document there.
73 de Arnie W8DU


James Boddie
 

It is there. Click the files tab and go to page 4.  It is a pdf.


Alan de G1FXB
 

If you are already logged in a direct link should work;-
https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/files/ARRL%20Basic%20Antennas.pdf


Alan

On 30/07/2020 14:35, Podolsky A wrote:
If you mean the files section of this group, I don't see that document there.
73 de Arnie W8DU

-- 
Smell Czech corruptions are inevitable


Jim Painter
 

Do a search in the group files for arrl.

Jim... kq3s


On Jul 30, 2020, at 9:35 AM, Podolsky A <w8du@...> wrote:

If you mean the files section of this group, I don't see that document there.
73 de Arnie W8DU


ajparent1/KB1GMX
 

The End fed zepp is nothing special and the "phasing section" is not.
Its a quarter wave transformer to feed the high impedance end of the
half wave wire (one leg).

Performance save for feed point convenience is identical to that of a dipole.

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.
No private email, it goes to a bit bucket due address harvesting


Timothy Fidler
 

I'd still like to see it covered in the book.  You can't leave good enough alone can you , Alison ? "The End fed zepp is nothing special " well it is something special c/with the Black magic and BS of EFHW and the magic counterpoise. By the way gents,
450 Z CCSW  twin seems to be the best wire topology  to use for the matching section. Unfortunately most vendors seem very dark on what the Vel of prop is and you don't want to by buying a bit of Migthy Fine Junk just to set up this one length... .life's  a bitch.  TEF
Another point of difference is that if you can get a 40m dipole in you can trap it and have a 40/20,  but with a Zepp as above you have to electrically switch the transformer leg to a shorter one to go to the higher frequency as well as put in a trap to reduce the RF electrical len of a the driven element.


ajparent1/KB1GMX
 

Complain all you want the only ones that can do that is ARRL the publisher.
They can change it and you can't.

That and it was written a few years back.  Its old news.

As to velocity or propagation on 450ohm wire its easily measured. 
Hint its physical length over electrical length.  To measure that you
need some and a RF source and a way to detect resonance for the wire.
Its in the handbook.  Might even be in the copyrighted work.

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.
No private email, it goes to a bit bucket due address harvesting


Timothy Fidler
 

Copyright ? My brother looked for a note in the front of the book and could not find it. Anyway we have the same name.  Tim1 and Tim2. I say Tim2 posted it. I tried to find the velocity of prop on a vendor's site.  The tech data there was very light on. Unfort if I were to buy it here it would have to come from Australia and they have only the MFJ material (Twin core) which I am nervous about.  Thank you for suggesting the scientific method of getting the real data.


Gwen Patton
 

Timothy,

You don't know how copyrights work in the US. You don't need to have an explicit notice in your publication anymore. We're a signatory to the Berne Convention, and anything you put in tangible form is automatically copyrighted. That book was first printed in 2009, and is STILL IN PRINT. It's available from the ARRL shop webpage right now. It is NOT "out of copyright". Heck, it's not even out of PRINT.

Look on the ARRL shop website:  https://www.arrl.org/shop/Basic-Antennas  You will see the clear listing of "Copyright: First Edition, Fourth Printing (2009-2016)" in the Product Details section. This is a copyrighted work. Don't believe me?

 
That book is copyrighted. Allison is right, and your brother didn't look very hard. This file should not be on the server. Support the ham who wrote it and BUY a copy!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73,
Gwen, NG3P


On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 10:13 PM Timothy Fidler <engstr@...> wrote:
Copyright ? My brother looked for a note in the front of the book and could not find it. Anyway we have the same name.  Tim1 and Tim2. I say Tim2 posted it. I tried to find the velocity of prop on a vendor's site.  The tech data there was very light on. Unfort if I were to buy it here it would have to come from Australia and they have only the MFJ material (Twin core) which I am nervous about.  Thank you for suggesting the scientific method of getting the real data.


Gwen Patton
 

Oops. I did a whoopsie, and said it was published first in 2009. My bad, it was *2008*.

No significant difference, but I know how people like to nit-pick at stuff like this.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73,
Gwen, NG3P


On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 10:27 PM Gwen Patton via groups.io <ardrhi=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Timothy,

You don't know how copyrights work in the US. You don't need to have an explicit notice in your publication anymore. We're a signatory to the Berne Convention, and anything you put in tangible form is automatically copyrighted. That book was first printed in 2009, and is STILL IN PRINT. It's available from the ARRL shop webpage right now. It is NOT "out of copyright". Heck, it's not even out of PRINT.

Look on the ARRL shop website:  https://www.arrl.org/shop/Basic-Antennas  You will see the clear listing of "Copyright: First Edition, Fourth Printing (2009-2016)" in the Product Details section. This is a copyrighted work. Don't believe me?

 
That book is copyrighted. Allison is right, and your brother didn't look very hard. This file should not be on the server. Support the ham who wrote it and BUY a copy!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73,
Gwen, NG3P


On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 10:13 PM Timothy Fidler <engstr@...> wrote:
Copyright ? My brother looked for a note in the front of the book and could not find it. Anyway we have the same name.  Tim1 and Tim2. I say Tim2 posted it. I tried to find the velocity of prop on a vendor's site.  The tech data there was very light on. Unfort if I were to buy it here it would have to come from Australia and they have only the MFJ material (Twin core) which I am nervous about.  Thank you for suggesting the scientific method of getting the real data.


Timothy Fidler
 

Hans can take it off in a week.  or I will .. set your egg timer going.

If they had done massive revisions to it then I would not give a monkey's Ar$e about the IP aspect because the Highly revised book is a new book. 
But" bless me father for I have sinned" ... (I know that from Perry mason or reading about Kennedy, you   don't learn it down at the local 'Gog) .. if it is simply reissued then perhaps it should come down..


now hear me Y'all.!!!!

you'all go to Hell with sulphur and stuff if you download it and keep it. So look at  on line and be virtuous.. or feel it.  I feel better already. :-))