Topics

Too much QCX stuff

KEN G4APB

Hi Hans,
sorry to be a misery, but is it possible for me to stop receiving all the forums concerning the QCX CW Tx.  I dont have one as I am totally dedicated to the U3 kit, but I am getting flooded with the non related mailshots. I have tried 'muting' various topics but as everyone seems to start with a new heading, I can't stop them. I ONLY want to see mailshots for the U3, is that possible?

best 73 Ken G4APB

Mikael Dagman

Just disable all qrp-labs mail and visit the maillist page instead.

https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/topics

Roger G4IUP

Hi Ken,
I take your point but I have most of the kits that Hans has produced and like to hear about them all on the forum. The QCX is a special case I suppose as it has proved to be so popular.
My own gripe is the number of postings asking questions that are already well covered in the truly excellent documentation, Hans must get frustrated by this having spent time and effort creating it!
73 Roger G4IUP

On 14 Dec 2017 20:42, "KENS 2ND ACC via Groups.Io" <lfoofui.nbz42=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Hans,
sorry to be a misery, but is it possible for me to stop receiving all the forums concerning the QCX CW Tx.  I dont have one as I am totally dedicated to the U3 kit, but I am getting flooded with the non related mailshots. I have tried 'muting' various topics but as everyone seems to start with a new heading, I can't stop them. I ONLY want to see mailshots for the U3, is that possible?

best 73 Ken G4APB

jjpurdum

My own gripe is the number of postings asking questions that are already well covered in the truly excellent documentation...
The manual is probably the best I have ever seen, and that includes Heathkit manuals from the 1950's.

Jack, W8TEE

[...]

Hi Jack,
Yes I agree and can remember the Heathkit manuals. I built a signal generator and a multi purpose electronics kit in the 60 '.  This spent most of the time as a radio listening to coastal marine radio stations on the East coast of UK. No surprises I ended up as a Marine Radio Officer at sea and later several jobs in electronics.
73 Roger G4IUP

On 14 Dec 2017 21:22, "jjpurdum via Groups.Io" <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Let's see...

A pair of walkie-talkies for the football coach
A VTVM
A DX-20
A DX-60
A stereo amplifier

...and probably some things I can't remember because I've slept since then. You built your rig because the commercial stuff (e.g., Collins) wasn't in line with a lawn-mowing budget...almost no options but BYO. Those were the days...

Jack, W8TEE

[...]

SM7ETW Jan

Is it possible to divide into subforums ?

Jan

john

Most every mail agent has filtering based on keywords.

Just a suggestion. I like getting all the info!

John K5MO

--
III

J68HZ

Groups.IO allows subgroups...

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton - J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

email:  bill@...

On Dec 14, 2017, at 2:42 PM, KENS 2ND ACC via Groups.Io <lfoofui.nbz42@...> wrote:

Hi Hans,
sorry to be a misery, but is it possible for me to stop receiving all the forums concerning the QCX CW Tx.  I dont have one as I am totally dedicated to the U3 kit, but I am getting flooded with the non related mailshots. I have tried 'muting' various topics but as everyone seems to start with a new heading, I can't stop them. I ONLY want to see mailshots for the U3, is that possible?

best 73 Ken G4APB

BrianB

Me too. I'm about to drop off the list...

On Dec 14, 2017, at 12:42 PM, KENS 2ND ACC via Groups.Io <lfoofui.nbz42@...> wrote:

Hi Hans,
sorry to be a misery, but is it possible for me to stop receiving all the forums concerning the QCX CW Tx.  I dont have one as I am totally dedicated to the U3 kit, but I am getting flooded with the non related mailshots. I have tried 'muting' various topics but as everyone seems to start with a new heading, I can't stop them. I ONLY want to see mailshots for the U3, is that possible?

best 73 Ken G4APB

nz0tham@...

Elecraft manuals are just as good or even better (color photos!) than the Heathkit ones were.

Let me just add that I REALLY like the way most put the kit name in the subject line - QCX, U3S, LPF, BPF, etc. With that as the first word in the subject, easy to filter out what is not of interest.
--
Wes

AE6ZM

Hereford, AZ

9A3KB

I sign everything that Ken G4APB said.
73, Boki 9a3kb

Mike

Sadly, I too am getting swamped with QCX. Interesting U3 posts dissapear in
the noise. There is a way to split the group into two, or more, subgroups but
I have no idea how its done. See Airspy.groups.io and Airspy HF+ subgroup for
example.

On 14 Dec 2017 at 16:59, Brian Basura wrote:

Me too. I'm about to drop off the list...

On Dec 14, 2017, at 12:42 PM, KENS 2ND ACC via Groups.Io
<lfoofui.nbz42=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Hans,
sorry to be a misery, but is it possible for me to stop receiving all the
forums concerning the QCX CW Tx. I dont have one as I am totally dedicated
to the U3 kit, but I am getting flooded with the non related mailshots. I
have tried 'muting' various topics but as everyone seems to start with a new
heading, I can't stop them. I ONLY want to see mailshots for the U3, is that
possible?

best 73 Ken G4APB

KEN G4APB

Thanks Mikael,
your suggestion works for me. I does not seem very long before a new thread goes totally off topic too, so I can now filter stuff for relevance.

73 Ken G4APB

Robert Alexander

Sadly I'm getting swamped with posts complaining about too many QCX
messages. Remedies are simple. Use the delete key, start an entirely new
group, or figure out how to create the sub group being talked about.
Personally I like to read all the posts no matter the subject.

I wish everyone a merry Christmas, happy Hanukah or what ever holiday
someone may celebrate this time of year.

Robert (N5RHA)

[...]

Daniel Ekman SA2KNG

I'm also thinking it will need to be split up in several subgroups. It's utterly meaningless for most to spend time reading through shipping questions and things already in the manuals. For this to work and gather ppl willing to help in a timely manner the subgroups will need to be relevant to those reading through them and finding one that they can assist in.
A bit arrogant perhaps, but sometimes a healthy dose of RTFM and SEARCH is the proper route. Perhaps too easy to just ask before doing the reading/searching...
Before posting one should be aware that a good part of 2500 (as of now) people are going to see this in their inbox. There's a good chance of everything drowning in the noise if it's not managed.
Hope to be of any help and looking forward to being part of this in the forseeable future. 73's and happy holidays.

Per - LA9XKA

Don't think so, the old Heathkit manuals included detailed schematics which I find a lot more useful than color pictures.

73 de LA9XKA - Per

Hans Summers

Hi all

I have been a member of many email lists over the years (discussion groups) and this question of splitting into sub-groups sometimes comes up. It always seems controversial. Some people want to split, some don't. There are other companies like Elecraft, that are a lot bigger than QRP Labs, who have only a single discussion group for all their products, and they manage perfectly well. They also had "split discussions" at least once that I can remember - and it did not split. BITX is having that discussion lately.

If the group is split there is a good chance of information and assistance becoming fragmented. People may post in the wrong group, and sometimes a question may be generic enough that people from another group would be well-placed to answer it, but don't because of the split. When a new product is announced, there may be people who want to hear about it and discuss it but who will miss it. And the question is also, where it will end - QRP Labs already has quite a number of products, QCX being the most recent - how should the group be divided up? QCX vs "everything else" - or "everything else" should be further sub-divided too?

Overall I am not 100% sure I have a firm opinion, but I tend to think that it is better to stay as one group - and if people wish to filter out say QCX messages, then they could do so at their own mail client.

Bear in mind also that the QCX is very new and always in such cases, there is a high volume of emails to start with, and they gradually reduce over time.

This group has an excellent atmosphere and a critical mass of people who are willing to help each other and share their experiences. Many times the group members help answer questions people have, and I do not need to be even involved - which is great because I have very high workload already and need to try to spend at least a little time each day developing the next big thing :-)   The group also is very well self-regulating, it does not require much in the way of moderation, people generally don't fight, as I have seen happen in some groups. Since it all works so well - I'm a bit reluctant to mix it up and risk it NOT working as well.

On the other hand I do take the point that some messages are superfluous, are solved on the FAQ or in the manual, etc etc. Maybe it would be useful for me to write a monthly "group etiquette" email, and that would reduce the size of the problem? Something like:

1) Remember your email goes to up to 2500 people - is it something you really want 2500 people to see?
2) Before asking a question, please ensure you have read the relevant manuals and web pages thoroughly, to see if your question is already answered somewhere.
4) Don't write about your kit arriving. Send that to sales@... instead - where it is compiled into statistics published here http://qrp-labs.com/shipping
5) Please don't write "Happy Christmas", "Happy New Year" etc messages - it's very nice of you but imagine if all 2500 members wrote it...
6) It is nice and friendly, to provide your name and callsign - or if you wish, you can add a photograph and whatever details you like, to your profile: https://groups.io/account?page=profile&profilesubid=0

73 Hans G0UPL

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 2:30 PM, Daniel Ekman SA2KNG <knegge@...> wrote:
[...]

as a means of filterng. How about starting your message with a [tag] which
most, if not all email readers can filter.
something like [ALL} [QCX} {U3S} etc.

3) Also check the FAQs http://qrp-labs.com/faq and
http://qrp-labs.com/qcx/faq

http://qrp-labs.com

wrote:

[...]

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_camp
aign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail> Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_camp
aign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
<#m_-5332226032736898806_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>