Topics

Clock Kit.

Chris Wood

Hello Ken

If it's any consolation, I have the same issue.  Data burst audible (and visible on the waterfall) on VHF air band down to 20m at least.  Not evident on 2m but I have a high noise level there.  Usually I'm on 40 or 30 so I only noticed it during the recent Es on 10 and 6.   Disconnecting yellow and green LEDs made no difference for me either.

My QLG-1 (internal patch aerial in a plastic box) plugs into a hub (in an ali case), which provides 9v and 5v from an external 12v supply, and connects 4 5-pin DIN sockets in parallel (Gnd, 5v, 1PPS, Data, 9v), so GPS into one, Progrock, Clock and one spare for something else.

I also have a separate clock and Progrock in a portable case with 6v SLAB, into which I can also plug the QLG-1, so I've been able to move this unit around the shack.  No external power leads, just the lead between the GPS and the main box.  The interference is reduced as I move away from the operating position, but is still audible when 6 to 8 feet away.

For now, I unplug the GPS from the hub if I want to use an affected band, which isn't that often.  The clock time is ok, but if I forget and leave the GPS unplugged overnight, the date doesn't change and I end up putting the wrong date in my log!

Maybe I'll do a bit more investigation when I have some time and I'll be interested in what others may have to suggest.

Chris  G4CWS

N3MNT

I use one OLG-1 for several of my QRP_Labs radios. I connect them to the radios with one of two cables One had 4pin female headers on each end and one has  4 pin header and a DB-9 connector on the other,  For the DB-9 I cut an unused serial cable so there is a nice shield while the header to header is using 4 conductor phone wire.  The phone wire does introduce some noise ( pulses with the 1pps) however there is no interference when using the shielded DB-9 cable.  Might provide some insight.

KEN G4APB

Hi Bill, Hans,
thanks for the replies. I was curious of your setup Bill, I expected you to say the opposite!

I also run my gps units from their own analogue supplies. I even built my own analogue ‘rf friendly’ psu so I knew what was in it.
I have disconnected my leds (no effect on interference), and put so much capacitance and series resistor filtering on the outputs that the U3s could not decode the data anymore (but still got the interference). The only thing that works is to disconnect the 9600 baud DATA line from the gps end and that gives maximum reduction in noise but rather defeats the issue. I have a switch now that disconnects that line to my U3S once CAL has been achieved whenever I want to receive with reduced background noise.
Strangely, I can run a marine NMEA receiver at 9600 baud with long leads, no special screening to a nearby PC with no interference issues at all, so I don’t understand why the gps modules give me so much grief.

Hans Summers

HI Bill, Ken

My QLG1 GPS doesn't interfere with my QCC operation either.

But RF is black magic. There are a lot of factors. Grounding, SWR, coax common mode currents. Everyone's shack is different and has different problems (to make things interesting).

My suggestion is try disconnecting the LEDs. Particularly the yellow one. It may make all the difference!

Another idea... put a little capacitor in parallel with each LED. That can slow down the sharp edges of the serial data inflicting power line noise due to the switching of the LEDs, and let you keep the LEDs but suppress a bit of noise.

Other than that... lots of capacitors across supply lines. Ferrite is your friend. (At least, whoever you buy ferrite from will be your friend, soon enough).

73 Hans G0UPL

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020, 05:01 William Fogel <wefogel@...> wrote:
Ken,
I do not know what to tell you, because the GPS is less than 2 feet away from my radio and connected directly to the clock under the radio.  I do not have any interference on any band. I also did not do anything special, other than my unit is not powered from a battery but directly from the wall using a 5 volt/ 2 amp wall wart. Perhaps Hans might have some ideas.

73 Bill AG5SK

William Fogel

Ken,
I do not know what to tell you, because the GPS is less than 2 feet away from my radio and connected directly to the clock under the radio.  I do not have any interference on any band. I also did not do anything special, other than my unit is not powered from a battery but directly from the wall using a 5 volt/ 2 amp wall wart. Perhaps Hans might have some ideas.

73 Bill AG5SK

geoff M0ORE

Hans,

is it "safe" to connect an input such as a 1PPS signal to an input of an AT chip without the AT chip being powered. I know some chips are fussy about having an input voltage higher than the supply voltage.

I used AND gates with the 1PPS signal on one input and the supply to the ProgRock or VFO on the other input so the 1PPS is blocked until the ProgRock / VFO is powered up.

On 24/07/2020 19:25, Hans Summers wrote:
Hi just connect all my QRP Labs kits in parallel to the QLG1 outputs. No drivers. No splitters. Just everything in parallel.

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 9:17 PM Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:
In olden days we could just use a 74HC buffer chip to act as a multi-device driver.

_._

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 11:23 AM Dave <VE3GSO@...> wrote:
Sounds to me like we need a GPS ancillary driver which would take a single GPS receiver and make available several, suggest four, identical outputs to drive a QRPLabs clock, U3S, QCX+, and VFO.  OK, maybe six outputs just in case!
Probably would not be a huge seller, but one would find a home in this shack.

Dave

On Jul 24, 2020, at 12:54, KEN G4APB via groups.io <lfoofui.nbz42=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Bill,
do you not suffer interference from the clock/gps combination placed like that?

Unfortunately, I get severe ‘pulsing’ broadband interference from the gps data bursts from mine. I started with a plastic case and have spent considerable time and effort screening, series choke and resistor filtering, ferrite blocking and miles of copper tape, short screened leads and earthing in an attempt to reduce this. I can still hear it on nearby rigs from LF to 2m. The only real ‘cure’ is to place it on the opposite side of my room away from all my rigs.

I have three gps modules feeding U3S kits and they all have similar issues, but providing I only want to transmit say WSPR, and not receive much, it works.

73 Ken G4APB

Phil N6WKZ

How many devices can the QLG1 drive? I know it can drive two.

Phil N6WKZ

On 7/24/2020 11:25 AM, Hans Summers wrote:
[...]

Arv Evans

[...]

My clock kit is currently available to feed a progrock which is in the same box as the clock but a seperate power switch to enable me to switch it off when not required and the same clock feeds a 1PPS to a VFO kit which is used to control a Racal ex-army radio. (NEMA data is not required in for the VFO ). It will also be used to feed a U3S + receiver currently under construction with both 1PPS and NEMA.
Each kit is fed via a buffer AND gate for the 1PPS and the NEMA data is fed via a TTL to RS232 adaptor. Power supplies are diode buffered to prevent back feeding. The NEMA data is also available to feed into the laptop for WSPR sync.
The clock unit causes the squelch on a 2m rig to open but don't know if it is the 1PPS signal or the data signal. The 1PPS is the likely culprit.

Hans Summers

Hi Ken, all

Have you, or anyone, tried just disconnecting the QLG1 LEDs? Or fitting a switch to disable them? The problem can easily be that the 9600 baud data is flashing that yellow LED and introducing power supply noise or radiated noise from the wiring etc.

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

On Jul 24, 2020, at 12:54, KEN G4APB via groups.io <lfoofui.nbz42@...> wrote:

[...]

Nice job.  I did a similar clock display for my shack.  No enclosure though because the clock fits perfectly under the Icom 7300 when on it's stand and the GPS unit is in the window behind the radio.

image.png

Bill Fogel AG5SK
2500 E. Business Hwy. 83, Lot 264
Mission, TX 78572
956-424-5625

Jason K7JWN

Perfect, Thank you Ryan.

N3MNT

X2 These are the ones I used on my clock.

On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 12:41 PM, Ryan Flowers wrote:
Looks great! I use buttons like these:

Good luck and 73!

On Sun, Jul 19, 2020, 9:30 AM Jason K7JWN <jnoreen.jn@...> wrote:
Hello,
I put together this awesome kit yesterday. What an enjoyable / satisfying project. I chose a plastic storage container for the enclosure. My question is... what buttons should I purchase  so I can install them on the front of the enclosure? Programming, and making adjustments will be much more enjoyable. I will attach a photo of my completed kit. I also paired it with the GPS kit. Love this sweet “Shack Clock”.

Best,
Jason K7JWN

--
Ryan Flowers - W7RLF
MiscDotGeek - QRP and More

jjpurdum

Looks really nice. I used a similar case:

Inline image
for my Forty-nine project. It has a hinged lid and sells for about $9 at the Container Store.

Jack, W8TEE