Topics

QCX+ CAT control with ready made FTDI cable

Giuseppe Marullo

Hi,

didn't know they were available.

Just connected, so far so good with HRD and WSJT-X.

Not exactly cheap, but very handy.

No mess with unreliable 3.5 handmade soldered jacks, seems a good FTDI chip too.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=B07JBJHSTL&ref=nb_sb_noss

Giuseppe Marullo
IW2JWW - JN45RQ

geoff M0ORE

Strictly speaking, the bit that goes on the end of the cable is a plug and the hole on the radio is the jack.

On 15/07/2020 16:03, Giuseppe Marullo wrote:
Hi,

didn't know they were available.

Just connected, so far so good with HRD and WSJT-X.

Not exactly cheap, but very handy.

No mess with unreliable 3.5 handmade soldered jacks, seems a good FTDI chip too.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=B07JBJHSTL&ref=nb_sb_noss

Giuseppe Marullo
IW2JWW - JN45RQ

Giuseppe Marullo

Hi Geoff,
assuming you are in UK:

"In the UK, the terms /jack plug/ and /jack socket/ are commonly used for the respective male and female phone connectors." (wikipedia)

You learn something new every day...so it is always a jack followed by either plug or socket.

Giuseppe Marullo
IW2JWW - JN45RQ

On 7/15/2020 6:55 PM, geoff M0ORE via groups.io wrote:

Strictly speaking, the bit that goes on the end of the cable is a plug and the hole on the radio is the jack.

On 15/07/2020 16:03, Giuseppe Marullo wrote:
Hi,

didn't know they were available.

Just connected, so far so good with HRD and WSJT-X.

Not exactly cheap, but very handy.

No mess with unreliable 3.5 handmade soldered jacks, seems a good FTDI chip too.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=B07JBJHSTL&ref=nb_sb_noss

Giuseppe Marullo
IW2JWW - JN45RQ

Dirk Räder

Hi,

I looked up that wire on Amazon and found https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07JBJHSTL/
The pinout is exactly the opposite of what's listed in the QCX+ manual. Did you have to make any changes, did it just work or did I miss something?

Cable: Sleeve ground / Ring RxD / Tip TxD
QCX+: Sleeve ground / Ring TxD / Tip RxD

73,

Dirk DB6EDR

--
Dirk Räder DB6EDR
Morissestr. 7

Alan G4ZFQ

Cable: Sleeve ground / Ring RxD / Tip TxD
QCX+: Sleeve ground / Ring TxD / Tip RxD
Dirk,

GPS transmit data to QCX receive data..

Alan

Dirk Räder

Ouch ... yep, I overlooked something. Got too much else going on.
Thanks for clarification.

Am Do., 16. Juli 2020 um 13:02 Uhr schrieb Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...>:

> Cable: Sleeve ground / Ring RxD / Tip TxD
> QCX+: Sleeve ground / Ring TxD / Tip RxD

Dirk,

GPS transmit data to QCX receive data..

Alan

--
Dirk Räder DB6EDR
Morissestr. 7
26180 Rastede
M: +49-176-60835036

N3MNT

I am using this one.  I cut an old stereo headphone cable and added pins to the wires ( no soldering the plug).  It can also be used other USB to serial connections.  Works perfect.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BBPX8B8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Giuseppe Marullo

Very goood question,
checked with the scope and looking carefully it should be what is needed.
Still I wasn't completely convinced but in the end it works, either HRD and WSJT-X are able to see and use the radio, no mod except the sw handshake setting that triggered the occasional senior moment.

YMMV of course.

The interface transmits on the tip of the JACK PLUG, and this is what QCC+ expects, the signals shold be crossed to talk.
See the manual, probably what fooled me was the picture on the left(section 3.7.7 page 101), albeit correct it lists the connection from top to bottom but the top most listed is the middle in the JACK (either) my suggestion is to rearrange the listing order of the wire, should be even easier.

Next will be the gps connection.

Giuseppe Marullo
IW2JWW - JN45RQ

[...]

Good for you and cheaper, I just wanted something sturdier, my handmade audio cables sux big time, reliability in the long run is always a problem.
I wanted something dedicated.
Of course spending 20bucks for a 55usd radio...

Giuseppe Marullo
IW2JWW - JN45RQ

Giuseppe Marullo
IW2JWW - JN45RQ