Topics

Firmware update #firmware #qcx40

Darren KN4WML

      I have a quick question about the firmware updates. I have the version 1.00 on my 40m qcx. Would it be beneficial to update it or does it really need it? I don't see any issues with the device as it is, but would an update change it up some

Thanks
Darren
KN4WML

Viktors Miske KC8CKZ

Here's a link to the version. History
https://www.qrp-labs.com/qcx/qcxfirmware.html

Darren KN4WML

Could the update be done with a cpu like the raspberry pi, or orange pi? I have quite a few of those, but I currently don't have an Arduino

jjpurdum

The RP would be an expensive overkill in this use. It has a complete Operating System with HDMI graphics and costs at least 10x an STM32 or ESP32, which would be more in line with the resources that are needed.

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, July 12, 2020, 8:18:13 AM EDT, Darren KN4WML <darrent78@...> wrote:

Could the update be done with a cpu like the raspberry pi, or orange pi? I have quite a few of those, but I currently don't have an Arduino

Charles Mims

Yes. You need to get a USBasp or equivalent and install avrdude.

Charles KG5ZLH

On Jul 12, 2020, at 8:07 AM, jjpurdum via groups.io <jjpurdum@...> wrote:

The RP would be an expensive overkill in this use. It has a complete Operating System with HDMI graphics and costs at least 10x an STM32 or ESP32, which would be more in line with the resources that are needed.

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, July 12, 2020, 8:18:13 AM EDT, Darren KN4WML <darrent78@...> wrote:

Could the update be done with a cpu like the raspberry pi, or orange pi? I have quite a few of those, but I currently don't have an Arduino

Alan G4ZFQ

Jack,

Avrdudess and a USBasp are used by quite a few. https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/qrplabs_program_chip_with_USBasp

But there are lots of ways, some linked on Hans' pages, others in the Files section.

On 12/07/2020 13:50, Alan G4ZFQ via groups.io wrote:

Sorry Darren,
Avrdudess and a USBasp are used by quite a few. https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/qrplabs_program_chip_with_USBasp
But there are lots of ways, some linked on Hans' pages, others in the Files section.
73 Alan G4ZFQ

N3MNT

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 09:50 AM, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
Jack,

Avrdudess and a USBasp are used by quite a few.
https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/qrplabs_program_chip_with_USBasp

I have been using this method for some time and it works every time.  Very simple and little room for errors.  If you have more than one of QRP-Labs devices you need this.

Daniel Conklin

Just read all the directions carefully first and make sure you have the fuses set according to the most recent configuration first.

--
73, Dan - W2DLC