QCX+ TCXO current consumption #qcx #sota

Serge, ON4AA

A quick question for the portable QCX+ operators among us:

What is the current consumption impact of such a temperature controlled cristal oscillator (TCXO) oven?

Hans Summers

Hello Serge

TCXO = temperature controlled crystal oscillator

OCXO = oven controlled crystal oscillator

The QCX+ TCXO module option http://shop.qrp-labs.com/qcxptcxo has a current consumption of 1.25mA.

It's possible the Si5351A has a slightly lower current consumption when its own internal oscillator is not being used. But I haven't measured this.

So basically if you use the TCXO option the impact on overall current consumption is very low, negligible.

I attached a photo from last night, the little TCXO module. I installed one in the QCX+ I built, it fits and works perfectly.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020, 09:35 Serge, ON4AA <serge@...> wrote:

A quick question for the portable QCX+ operators among us:

What is the current consumption impact of such a temperature controlled cristal oscillator (TCXO) oven?

Ben Bangerter, K0IKR

I thought TCXO stood for Temperature COMPENSATED Xtal Oscillator. No?

Ben

Hans Summers

Hi Ben

Yes sorry. My bad. Too little sleep :-/

Temperature Compensated Cryatal Oscillator

Apologies for the confusion

73 Hans G0UPL

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020, 13:19 Ben Bangerter, K0IKR via groups.io <bwbangerter=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I thought TCXO stood for Temperature COMPENSATED Xtal Oscillator. No?

Ben

Serge, ON4AA

Thank you you both for the clarifications. I know what to put in my shopping cart now ;-)