QCX+ arrived!

Hans Summers

Hi all

Good news! After clearing customs procedures in Izmir 300km North of here this afternoon... apparently the 15 boxes of components and PCBs didn't take the usual domestic courier service! The customs clearance broker found a man with a van who was willing to load in 300kg of stuff and drive 300km to me. Today. And though it's after 11pm here... we just took delivery of the precious cargo!

Now heating the soldering iron...

73 Hans G0UPL

Don't y'all love this guy? You just know he's going to be up all night building, taking photographs, etc., to get the QCX+ out to us as soon as possible.

You're a really special guy, Hans.

Julian N4JO.

On 6/19/2020 3:35 PM, Hans Summers wrote:
Hi all

Good news! After clearing customs procedures in Izmir 300km North of here this afternoon... apparently the 15 boxes of components and PCBs didn't take the usual domestic courier service! The customs clearance broker found a man with a van who was willing to load in 300kg of stuff and drive 300km to me. Today. And though it's after 11pm here... we just took delivery of the precious cargo!

Now heating the soldering iron...

73 Hans G0UPL

George Korper

🛸

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020, 3:35 PM Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:
Hi all

Good news! After clearing customs procedures in Izmir 300km North of here this afternoon... apparently the 15 boxes of components and PCBs didn't take the usual domestic courier service! The customs clearance broker found a man with a van who was willing to load in 300kg of stuff and drive 300km to me. Today. And though it's after 11pm here... we just took delivery of the precious cargo!

Now heating the soldering iron...

73 Hans G0UPL

Bob Ballard

Woo Hoo!  Thanks for the update!

73,
Bob Ballard - KG5SQJ

On Jun 19, 2020, at 3:35 PM, Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:

Hi all

Good news! After clearing customs procedures in Izmir 300km North of here this afternoon... apparently the 15 boxes of components and PCBs didn't take the usual domestic courier service! The customs clearance broker found a man with a van who was willing to load in 300kg of stuff and drive 300km to me. Today. And though it's after 11pm here... we just took delivery of the precious cargo!

Now heating the soldering iron...

73 Hans G0UPL

Julian Rolfe

Top job👍

On Friday, June 19, 2020, 9:58 pm, Bob Ballard <bobnmarji@...> wrote:

Woo Hoo!  Thanks for the update!

73,
Bob Ballard - KG5SQJ

On Jun 19, 2020, at 3:35 PM, Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:

Hi all

Good news! After clearing customs procedures in Izmir 300km North of here this afternoon... apparently the 15 boxes of components and PCBs didn't take the usual domestic courier service! The customs clearance broker found a man with a van who was willing to load in 300kg of stuff and drive 300km to me. Today. And though it's after 11pm here... we just took delivery of the precious cargo!

Now heating the soldering iron...

73 Hans G0UPL

Dave VE3GSO

If your work arrived late into the evening could you go “right, off to bed for a good night’s sleep!”.  I could not either.  I’d at least want to have a look, fit a few components, solder a few joints, and before breakfast I’d probably be done.

As someone said, getting a bit like the night before Christmas, or the Thursday evening before Dayton.

Dave

On Jun 19, 2020, at 17:01, Julian Rolfe via groups.io <g4uet@...> wrote:

 Top job👍

On Friday, June 19, 2020, 9:58 pm, Bob Ballard <bobnmarji@...> wrote:

Woo Hoo!  Thanks for the update!

73,
Bob Ballard - KG5SQJ

On Jun 19, 2020, at 3:35 PM, Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:

Hi all

Good news! After clearing customs procedures in Izmir 300km North of here this afternoon... apparently the 15 boxes of components and PCBs didn't take the usual domestic courier service! The customs clearance broker found a man with a van who was willing to load in 300kg of stuff and drive 300km to me. Today. And though it's after 11pm here... we just took delivery of the precious cargo!

Now heating the soldering iron...

Regrettably folks, there is a big problem... after all that excitement, getting my PCBs and Enclosures and some of the other parts, delivered in 7 days door to door. Arrghhhhh....

So... the PCBs and enclosure all fit together perfectly like lego. The TCXO option http://shop.qrp-labs.com/qcxptcxo fits snugly on the QCX+ PCB just like I planned it would, even though I manufactured it entirely without any testing. Same for the Dev board option http://shop.qrp-labs.com/qcxpdev which also skipped any form of prototype development cycle.

The problem is that there has been a supplier change further up the supply chain, regarding the LCD module. And NOBODY TOLD ME IR ASKED ME.

The supplied LCD has a much larger black-body part than the LCD module which I have used since 2013 for the Ultimate3, Ultimate3S, VFO, Clock and QCX kits, always through the same supply chain, always the same identical module. The new supplied LCD module has a 2.5mm deeper body and simply does not fit into the QCX+ enclosure.

I am already discussing with the suppliers how to get this straightened out but essentially, it means I need to get 1,000 of the correct LCD modules shipped.

Meanwhile - we have in stock here 209 Ultimate3S kits (same PCB used for the Clock kit and VFO kit). I can raid those for their nice LCD modules which fit perfectly, and ship out the chronologically first 209 QCX+ kits starting Monday.

Everyone after the first 209 QCX+ orders, please be patient while I get this mess resolved.

Very sorry about this mess. I feel a mixture of deflated, depressed, angry, disappointed and above all... TIRED as hell... it is 2:50am here and there are 2.something little monsters here of which 2.0 are currently recharging and waiting to jump up and down on me at some unearthly hour tomorrow morning.

I've already been discussing with the suppliers and will update you in due course when I have a good trip of the solution and schedule.

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

On Jun 19, 2020, at 17:01, Julian Rolfe via groups.io <g4uet=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

 Top job👍

On Friday, June 19, 2020, 9:58 pm, Bob Ballard <bobnmarji@...> wrote:

Woo Hoo!  Thanks for the update!

73,
Bob Ballard - KG5SQJ

On Jun 19, 2020, at 3:35 PM, Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:

Hi all

Good news! After clearing customs procedures in Izmir 300km North of here this afternoon... apparently the 15 boxes of components and PCBs didn't take the usual domestic courier service! The customs clearance broker found a man with a van who was willing to load in 300kg of stuff and drive 300km to me. Today. And though it's after 11pm here... we just took delivery of the precious cargo!

Now heating the soldering iron...

73 Hans G0UPL

Mike Besemer - WM4B

Get some rest Hans… you certainly deserve it.  It’ll all work out.

73,

Mike

WM4B

[...]

Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...>

Hans

Many of us already have older style 1602 display units that we purchased for as-yet unbuilt designs.  Does this lead to a possibility of selling near-future kits with the buyer providing his or her own lcd display?  If workable, might this be a way to move forward until you can get the present problem resolved.

Arv
_-_

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020, 5:52 PM Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:
[...]

Good idea.  I have a 1602 display I’m not doing anything with, and a local shop has several more, just in case.  I’m happy with that solution.

Dave
VE3GSO

On Jun 19, 2020, at 21:54, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill Cromwell

My supply of those are serial..

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 12:12 AM Dave <VE3GSO@gmail.com
<mailto:VE3GSO@gmail.com>> wrote:

If your work arrived late into the evening could you go
“right, off to bed for a good night’s sleep!”.  I could not
either.  I’d at least want to have a look, fit a few
components, solder a few joints, and before breakfast I’d
probably be done.

As someone said, getting a bit like the night before
Christmas, or the Thursday evening before Dayton.

Dave

On Jun 19, 2020, at 17:01, Julian Rolfe via groups.io
<http://groups.io> <g4uet=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io
<mailto:yahoo.co.uk@groups.io>> wrote:

 Top job👍

<https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/?.src=iOS>

wrote:

Hi all

Good news! After clearing customs procedures in Izmir
300km North of here this afternoon... apparently the 15
boxes of components and PCBs didn't take the usual
domestic courier service! The customs clearance broker
found a man with a van who was willing to load in 300kg
of stuff and drive 300km to me. Today. And though it's
after 11pm here... we just took delivery of the precious
cargo!

Now heating the soldering iron...

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

George Korper

I have one from a BER QCX, so you can count me in and send mine LCD less. BER is Beyond Economic Repair.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020, 8:54 PM Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:
[...]

sumit basu

I too have the 1602 displays, so no issues if sent without he LCD.

73's VU2DTF

On 20/06/2020 08:40, George Korper wrote:
[...]

Knut Steinar Fremme OE4KSF

Not a problem, I think I have 5-10 display units here - just send without display for my preorder
Maybee I could send you some units if you want to ?

BTW - some of the 2 row units are yellow not blue

73 de Knut

John Baines

Hi Hans,

If it helps, you can ship my order no. 35714 without the display.

best wishes  and nil illegitimi carborundum.

72/73
John
M0JBA

On 20 Jun 2020, at 00:51, Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:

Ben Bangerter, K0IKR

“2.something little monsters”...  Could it be that...  If so, Congratulations!

73,  Ben. K0IKR

Dave VA3NIE

Hi Hans et al:

Agreed, I too have a few of these displays and would happily receive my pre-order without the display.

Let us know if you can figure out a feasible method to organize and keep track of shipping select kits without the display.
--
'73 Dave VA3NIE

Yep, I have a few displays that aren't doing anything. I could take my kit(s) without a display
NE5U

Mike

sean <kc2lwx@...>

Oh yeah. Good times. Have a happy father's day

Sean
De kc2lwx

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 8:44 AM, Michael Lloyd
<mikell@...> wrote:
Yep, I have a few displays that aren't doing anything. I could take my kit(s) without a display
NE5U

Mike

Ron Vingerling PA0RCL

For me there is no problem receiving my ordered QCX plus without the 1602 LCD. I have a few in stock myself.

Take a break, Hans!

74 Ron PA0RCL