Topics

Powering up the QCU board for the first time.

David Garnier

Hello,

Question 1.  Should the QCU board operating s/w hang when the
Si5351a board isn't installed yet?  I cannot get past the "error: Si5351a"
message to select anything else.

Question 2. I connect a QLG1 GPS receiver to the QCU board,
I still can't get past "error: Si5351a" message.
QCU operating S/W appears to not recognize (pushing the left button)
the QLG1.  BTW there is PPS & RxD signals present at QCU board.

Question 3. What is a good GPS windows program to verify that the
QLG1 gps receiver is functional locked and tracking satellites?
I want something more than a com port windows terminal window.

Thanks,  Dave - wb9own

N3MNT

If the green led on the GPS is flashing once a sec.  The GPS is locked and tracking at least 3 sats.

geoff M0ORE

Q3, VisualGPSview.

On 14/06/2020 21:18, David Garnier wrote:
Hello,

Question 1.  Should the QCU board operating s/w hang when the
Si5351a board isn't installed yet?  I cannot get past the "error: Si5351a"
message to select anything else.

Question 2. I connect a QLG1 GPS receiver to the QCU board,
I still can't get past "error: Si5351a" message.
QCU operating S/W appears to not recognize (pushing the left button)
the QLG1.  BTW there is PPS & RxD signals present at QCU board.

Question 3. What is a good GPS windows program to verify that the
QLG1 gps receiver is functional locked and tracking satellites?
I want something more than a com port windows terminal window.

Thanks,  Dave - wb9own

Hans Summers

Hi Dave

1 and 2 are normal behaviour, you need to insert the Si5351A Synth board.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020, 23:59 David Garnier <dsgarnier@...> wrote:
Hello,

Question 1.  Should the QCU board operating s/w hang when the
Si5351a board isn't installed yet?  I cannot get past the "error: Si5351a"
message to select anything else.

Question 2. I connect a QLG1 GPS receiver to the QCU board,
I still can't get past "error: Si5351a" message.
QCU operating S/W appears to not recognize (pushing the left button)
the QLG1.  BTW there is PPS & RxD signals present at QCU board.

Question 3. What is a good GPS windows program to verify that the
QLG1 gps receiver is functional locked and tracking satellites?
I want something more than a com port windows terminal window.

Thanks,  Dave - wb9own

David Garnier

Hi Hans,

I just discovered this when I finished the Si5351A board.

I have to admit I just now read this fact in the Beacon Kit
User Manual. I'll have to read the other Error messages,
I'm sure I'll run into those soon. Thanks for your time.

73 Dave wb9own

David Garnier

Hi,

What shocked me was how fast this GPS board acquired satellites and
lock.  Years ago I played with some Motorola Oncore GPS modules,
those took some time to lock.  I doubted my own eyes when I first
powered this module, maybe 10 seconds elasped and then I had
PPS flashing. Wow.   Thanks for your time.

73 dave - wb9own

David Garnier

Hi Geoff,

I just Googled VisualGPSview, it looks nice, will have to check it out.
Years ago I messed about with some Motorola Oncore modules
and was amazed with them.  I'm still interested in how this one
works and it's data.  Thanks for your time.

73 dave - wb9own