Topics

How about a QSX

Hans Summers

Hello Chuck

Many thanks for your kind, thoughtful and supportive feedback and comments.

Change is inevitable. It is easy to see the evolution in design from the first kit in May 2010 to the present day. Thanks to so many of you, the growth in my own skills and knowledge is clear to see too. There's still a long way to go!

Success drives growth, and this seems also somehow inevitable.

I believe the original concept of performance, quality and low price all at the same time, delivered with passion and throughly backed up, lives unaltered through the last 10 years... and will through the next and the next!

Thanks again for your support and that it so many countless others over the years, past and present.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020, 00:38 Chuck, N1KGY <cwayers17@...> wrote:
Hans,
Your stuff upper lip is world class, as are your kits. :)
I've said it before and I say it now - don't change a thing about QRP Labs. Please.
In context: I just purchased my 7th kit from QRP Labs, owning now 2x U3S w/QLG1 each, a QCX40, and a Progrock (my original U3 having recently been retire by ESD/lightening), and I expect I'll buy at least that many more in coming years.
I've bough and built radio kits from at least a dozen other outfits over the years - NorCal Sierras, Webber Dual-Banders, Fireflys, NoGA Pigs, etc. etc. all the way back to my first Heathkit (HW-12A), and I can honestly say that Hans and his team have proven themselves time and again over this last decade.  Proven designs. Proven quality. Proven dedication - to design new hardware, code software, debug and optimize their products, source and kit them at reasonable cost, and to promote and support these kits with depth, vigor, and genuine love of the radio arts.

Hans, I don't know what your sales ratio is between kits, or how it varies over time, nor how intertwined your supply chain is between products. I do, however, know what the risks are when an organization is pushed to grow, or produce product, beyond its organic capacity to do so -- inevitably either quality or innovation are sacrificed in the push for "MORE". As a professional systems engineer, I have "taken the ride up" with several big tech companies, and I've personally experienced how that "MORE" mentality can derail or even kill a company.
Thus I say, don't change a thing.

Thanks and warmest 73,
Chuck

Chuck, N1KGY

[...]

James Daldry W4JED

Dumb Donald was so dumb......

How...dumb...was...he??

He thought Dunning-Kruger was a middle-aged prostitute that billed for her services.

73

On 6/7/20 8:29 PM, TrueBlue wrote:
> P.S.:  Did you send me a private message a month or two back?

No, you didn't.  It was someone else.  Sorry!
--
"As Dunning has suggested, the very trouble with ignorance is that it can feel just like expertise."

Andy Brilleaux [O.B.E. pending] <punkbiscuit@...>

Km6huv John iirc.

TrueBlue

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 10:09 AM, Dave, W0DF wrote:

> True Blue you have combined excepts from my post with someone else’s but credited both to me.

Strangely, in the groups.io forums messages, there is zero trace of this!  If groups.io is producing a pig's breakfast out of posts headed for email interface, I'm somewhat amazed, but have no solution at this end.  Is it sending discarded messages that do not show up here at groups.io?  Beats me!

> Also, do you have a call sign?

Yes, though it's of no consequence as I never QSO.

P.S.:  Did you send me a private message a month or two back?
--
"As Dunning has suggested, the very trouble with ignorance is that it can feel just like expertise."

Thanks Rick. Yes, indeed that is true: also, in a foreign country, armed only with his English stiff upper lip :-) Of course, for us English, that and a good cup of tea will set us straight to handle any adversity ;-)
--
Julian, N4JO.

Rick Williams - VE7TK

Well said Julian. Thanks for an excellent synopsis! The only thing I might add is that Hans is running HIS business in the midst of a global pandemic!

--
73, Rick
VE7TK

ajparent1/KB1GMX

For those that want some unique flavor or changed  QCX,
The schematic is in the manual, make your own to your liking and
while your at it use a larger MPU to get in all those wish list things.
Want it small too, its up to you.

To that point the QCX-SSB project, fairly well documented.
Can you build one  from a QCX and an added pile of parts,
not as a kit?   If it doesn't work out of the gate can you
troubleshoot your work and get it going?

Then you can have everything you want even if no one else would
want that.  That is the key it has to meet some cost and sell price
goals, be producible and reproducible, not too complex or stupidly
simple, and address a larger market.  Parts much be obtainable
now and next year.

I can do that, if I could not, I'd be a sorry sight of an engineer.
But I didn't for one second call it easy as even for me the case
of I want but will not do is sometimes a case of reality and
mechanical or cost limitations.  Its hard work and a whole lot
of it.  Testing and more testing!  If it has software further testing.

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.

R. Tyson

>>But don't worry, if nothing else, the one and only thing I definitely do have is a world-class, world record breaking, stiff upper lip.<<

You also have a number of very good kits that you have produced and many people have both built and enjoy using them. I think it is safe to say that you have advanced the cause of QRP considerably.

Your radio designs are interesting to build, the instructions are brilliant and the end product is amazing. However, there are always those who are never satisfied, can we have, why not, why didn't you, where is it, why isn't it finished, why haven't you incorporated...  and on and on.....

Ignore the few who will never be satisfied with what they have and rejoice in the huge numbers who build your kits and appreciate them just as they are. For those who want this, that and the other then there is always the option of designing and building your own hearts desire and incorporating whatever you want into it.

Reg                 G4NFR

Dave, W0DF

True Blue you have combined excepts from my post with someone else’s but credited both to me. My comment was not pointed at Hans, but at those that keep asking for this change or that change or a different version of QCX, or one of the other kits. He is basically a one man shop. Let him concentrate on the projects he has in the works, not start new ones. Also, do you have a call sign? W0DF, Dave

Sent from my iPhone.

I'm not the president of the Hans Summers fan club, nor his press secretary, nor his counselor, but I've been in technical business for four and a half decades on two continents and know a thing or two about it; so..
I don't think "Overdue" is the right word. It's not that he owes it to anyone, or is under any compelling obligation: it's his company to run as he sees fit - a company that is subject to market forces, resource constraints and technical and logistical challenges, just like every other. Yes, he announced his intention to release the QSX two years ago: I'm sure he is not blind to the fervor and interest it has caused, nor to the frustration at the delays, so I suggest it is reasonable to deduce that there must be some obstacle yet to overcome; he has certainly said as much in news releases. I'm sure the product would be in our hands were it just a simple matter of getting it done.
Business choices are difficult.The QCX classic for example: while popular, has been a challenging build and/or a limited platform for enhancement for a good number of kit-building hams, hence the recently announced QCX+. The time to bring that to market was not trivial, and neither, I'm sure, was the identified opportunity cost. I'm equally sure he calculated that the need for it was compelling enough to put other projects aside. He has, resulting from swift and vociferous feedback from those for whom QCX+ is not a solution, committed to look into some kind of compact solution for SOTA and highly portable applications. That will take time too.
Success is a two-edged sword, and growing pains are called that for a reason. All we can do is to trust that Hans is striving to achieve that impossible balance between doing what he wants (that motivation which drives us all), what he can (he is only slightly more superhuman than any of us), what he needs to do (for the health of his business), and what he well knows we want him to do (ditto).

--
Julian, N4JO.

Hans Summers

Hi Michael

It does take a stuff upper lip, indeed.

But don't worry, if nothing else, the one and only thing I definitely do have is a world-class, world record breaking, stiff upper lip.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020, 09:16 Michael N6MST <mthompson.cob@...> wrote:
The amount of gripe I hear/read in the amateur radio community always serves as a reminder to me to never EVER try and run a ham radio company. More power to the folks who make a go of it, you're better than I because I'd just tell everyone to stuff it and I'd be off.

Michael N6MST

The amount of gripe I hear/read in the amateur radio community always serves as a reminder to me to never EVER try and run a ham radio company. More power to the folks who make a go of it, you're better than I because I'd just tell everyone to stuff it and I'd be off.

TrueBlue

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 09:26 AM, Dave, W0DF wrote:
the QSX, now approaching 2 years overdue.  Still patiently waiting....
Likewise the promised U3S firmware update, two years plus overdue.  All the unexpected problems were solved long ago and it was just a matter a quick coding, then...nothing.  But Hans has moved on to other minor projects instead.

--
"As Dunning has suggested, the very trouble with ignorance is that it can feel just like expertise."

N3MNT

Not complaining about the delay, but rather making sure all sides of the story are heard.  QSX!

Gary Bernard

Right on Dave! Enough suggestions already, Hans is only one guy.
Gary W0CKI

Hey QCX groupies, Quit dreaming up all kinds of new versions of the QCX and let Hans concentrate on the QSX, now approaching 2 years overdue.  Still patiently waiting.... Dave, W0DF

Dave, W0DF