] Adapt A Bioenno 24v LiFePO4 Battery To Run The QRPLabs 50 Watt PA?

Bob Ballard

Gregg,

Okay, I can build electronic kits with good instructions but I’m not an electronics astute person.  I searched google for Instructions for how to configure the LTC3780 but I didn’t find enough details to satisfy my old brain.

If not too much trouble, could you write up step-by-step instructions for how to configure the LTC3780 Buck/Booster to support the 50W PA when powered by a nominal 24v LiFePO4 battery?  I may be requesting too much here and if doing that is more trouble than it’s worth I’ll certainly understand if you turn me down. 😊

Either way Gregg, thank you very much for the superb help you have already provided.

Bob – KG5SQJ

Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 1:21 AM
To: 'QRPLabs@groups.io' <QRPLabs@groups.io>
Subject: RE: [QRPLabs] Adapt A Bioenno 24v LiFePO4 Battery To Run The QRPLabs 50 Watt PA?

Hi Gregg,

Thanks again for your comprehensive response with all the details I’ll need to get it set up and adjusted to power the 50W PA.  And yes, I found the adjustment identification on the photos.  I’ve order the buck/boost so it should be here in about a week.

Now, if only my brain would enable me to do head copy instead of whatever it is that I’m doing now near the end of my CW Academy “Basic” course, I’d be in great shape.  I’ll keep practicing!  😊

Bob – KG5SQJ

From: QRPLabs@groups.io <QRPLabs@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gregg Myers
Sent: Monday, May 25, 2020 9:02 PM
To: QRPLabs@groups.io
Subject: Re: [QRPLabs] Adapt A Bioenno 24v LiFePO4 Battery To Run The QRPLabs 50 Watt PA?

Hi Bob,

That  buck/boost fits in a 12.5cm x 10cm x 8cm tall aluminum box quite comfortably. You could likely go a bit smaller if you wanted (I wasn’t really trying for small as possible). Sorry, I don't know what ferrites I used were as they were freebies from my brother. But I'm sure you can get find some clip on EFI type ferrites and they will be fine (if you even need them at all). I would just try it without the ferrites first. I used this aluminum box here by Bud Industries:

Below is a picture of it. If you buy this board make sure to open up the current limiting once you get the bias on the Amp set so it doesn’t limit on you before 5A output. The pots for setting voltage and current are identified in the previous Amazon link I sent in one of the product pictures.

Gregg w7grm

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 4:23 PM Bob Ballard <bobnmarji@...> wrote:

Thanks Gregg!

I like this solution best so far.  This makes the voltage control applicable to both 24v and 12v batteries so I can use either to power the 50W PA at 20v!

What metal case fits best and just in case those ferrites are indeed necessary, what type, size and how many turns if they are toroids?

Thanks again and 73,

Bob – KG5SQJ

Sent: Monday, May 25, 2020 1:56 PM
Subject: Re: [QRPLabs] Adapt A Bioenno 24v LiFePO4 Battery To Run The QRPLabs 50 Watt PA?

I use this buck/boost with a 12v battery to supply 20v to the 50w amp.

Supposedly, it is good for up to 10A, but I doubt it can 10A too long at 100% duty cycle.

I do have mine mounted in a metal case and and I have ferrites on the leads, but I'm not sure the ferrites are even required. There is no discernable noise that I can tell. Anyway, this works fine for me.

Gregg w7grm

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 12:44 PM Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@...> wrote:

Hi Brian,

You could use sealed Lead-acid batteries in series for a little over 18
volts. At the farm stores you can buy those in 6 volt size and put them
in series. They as sold for use with electric fence chargers. Charge
management is trivial.

Bill  KU8H

On 5/25/20 2:03 PM, Brian Mathews wrote:
> I also have a 50W PA kit on the way and have been pondering this
> problem...so instead of posting a new thread I will add my proposed
> solution:
>
> I am considering buying two of these
> https://www.bioennopower.com/collections/clearance/products/30c-50c-11-1v-5000-mah-lipo-battery-for-rc-models
> <https://www.bioennopower.com/collections/clearance/products/30c-50c-11-1v-5000-mah-lipo-battery-for-rc-models>
> They are  11.1v and as long as there is no issue with running them in
> series I will end up with 22.2v at 10AH and they only cost $115 for a
> pair compared to $189 for the 24v.
> The one thing I have not worked out is finding a charger for this
> voltage, as I only see ones listed for 12, 24, etc.
> If there is a problem with running them in series then I guess I will go
> back to the drawing board :(
>

--
bark less - wag more

Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...>

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 12:37 PM Bob Ballard <bobnmarji@...> wrote:

Gregg,

Okay, I can build electronic kits with good instructions but I’m not an electronics astute person.  I searched google for Instructions for how to configure the LTC3780 but I didn’t find enough details to satisfy my old brain.

If not too much trouble, could you write up step-by-step instructions for how to configure the LTC3780 Buck/Booster to support the 50W PA when powered by a nominal 24v LiFePO4 battery?  I may be requesting too much here and if doing that is more trouble than it’s worth I’ll certainly understand if you turn me down. 😊

Either way Gregg, thank you very much for the superb help you have already provided.

Bob – KG5SQJ

Subject: RE: [QRPLabs] Adapt A Bioenno 24v LiFePO4 Battery To Run The QRPLabs 50 Watt PA?

Hi Gregg,

Thanks again for your comprehensive response with all the details I’ll need to get it set up and adjusted to power the 50W PA.  And yes, I found the adjustment identification on the photos.  I’ve order the buck/boost so it should be here in about a week.

Now, if only my brain would enable me to do head copy instead of whatever it is that I’m doing now near the end of my CW Academy “Basic” course, I’d be in great shape.  I’ll keep practicing!  😊

Bob – KG5SQJ

Hi Bob,

That  buck/boost fits in a 12.5cm x 10cm x 8cm tall aluminum box quite comfortably. You could likely go a bit smaller if you wanted (I wasn’t really trying for small as possible). Sorry, I don't know what ferrites I used were as they were freebies from my brother. But I'm sure you can get find some clip on EFI type ferrites and they will be fine (if you even need them at all). I would just try it without the ferrites first. I used this aluminum box here by Bud Industries:

Below is a picture of it. If you buy this board make sure to open up the current limiting once you get the bias on the Amp set so it doesn’t limit on you before 5A output. The pots for setting voltage and current are identified in the previous Amazon link I sent in one of the product pictures.

Gregg w7grm

Thanks Gregg!

I like this solution best so far.  This makes the voltage control applicable to both 24v and 12v batteries so I can use either to power the 50W PA at 20v!

What metal case fits best and just in case those ferrites are indeed necessary, what type, size and how many turns if they are toroids?

Thanks again and 73,

Bob – KG5SQJ

Supposedly, it is good for up to 10A, but I doubt it can 10A too long at 100% duty cycle.

I do have mine mounted in a metal case and and I have ferrites on the leads, but I'm not sure the ferrites are even required. There is no discernable noise that I can tell. Anyway, this works fine for me.

Gregg w7grm

Hi Brian,

management is trivial.

Bill  KU8H

> solution:
>
> https://www.bioennopower.com/collections/clearance/products/30c-50c-11-1v-5000-mah-lipo-battery-for-rc-models
> <https://www.bioennopower.com/collections/clearance/products/30c-50c-11-1v-5000-mah-lipo-battery-for-rc-models>
>

--
bark less - wag more

Gregg Myers

Hi Bob,

This module is not difficult to setup. It has three adjustments: You can supply any voltage up to about 30v and the board can handle it. The three adjustments are:

Undervoltage - The voltage at which you want the output of the module to stop supplying power (say you want the module to kill power if my 12v battery voltage drops below 10v ... in other words, you don't want to power something from a battery until the battery is fully drained). If you want to switch from a 24v to a 12v, you might just set this to 10v so in either case, you won't be undervoltage on a fully charged battery. But when using the 24v battery, you should then keep an eye on it so you don't deplete it excessively as dropping a 25v battery down to 10v is a bit much. Personally, I wouldn't see the need to buy a 24v battery if you are using this module as 12v works fine. I am using a 12v car battery for mine.

Constant Voltage - The output you want to apply to the amp (e.g. 20v)

Constant Current - This setting is only used if you want to supply a constant current output. You don't want the constant current to kick in, so you will be adjusting this 'wide open' so it will not limit current. When constant current kicks in, it starts to limit the output voltage below your set point and that's why you don't want this setting.

The three pots on the board are all 10 turn pots with no 'stop'. In other words, the will keep turning forever, but the resistance will either go to zero or max out. To tell if you are at the end of the 10 turns, you might listen for a slight 'click' but I couldn't hear any click on mine just now. But the click (if you hear it) means you have turned the pot as far as it will go in that particular direction

1. First setup the undervoltage. You can do this with a somewhat depleted battery or another constant voltage source if you have one.  Basically, you want to set this to the point where you want the output of the module to turn off. Assuming you don't have another source, put a somewhat run down battery on the input. Then adjust the undervoltage protection pot down until the undervoltage LED turns on. That means as soon as your input voltage drops to the set value (e.g. the voltage of a depleted battery), the output from the module will turn off completely. This is not very critical but basically, you don't normally want to run your battery down to zero volts. They don't like that.

2. Next setup the Constant Voltage (labeled CV in picture below). Put a voltmeter on the output and your (fully charged) battery on the input. Adjust the output voltage for 20v

3. Finally set the Constant Current pot so the module is not limiting current for you. In other words, the module will always be in Constant Voltage mode. This will either be turning the CC pot fully clockwise or fully counter clockwise, I forget which. But if you turn it the wrong way, but if I remember right, you will see one of the indicator lights either turn on or change color (again, I don't remember which one) which means it is limiting current and probably get little output voltage. If that happens, turn this pot a full 10 turns the other way and you should be good to go.

Buck or boost doesn't matter. The module will do whichever for you to maintain the set output voltage. I hope that helps!

73, Gregg w7grm

Gregg,

Bob – KG5SQJ

Hi Gregg,

Bob – KG5SQJ

Hi Bob,

Gregg w7grm

Thanks Gregg!

Thanks again and 73,

Bob – KG5SQJ

Gregg w7grm

Hi Brian,

management is trivial.

Bill  KU8H

> solution:
>
>

--
bark less - wag more

John AE5X

I'm having good results at the 10W level with a 160W-capab;e buck boost unit:

http://ae5x.blogspot.com/2020/05/cheap-dc-dc-converter-for-qrp-with.html

I'll try it this weekend (CQ-WPX-CW) with the Hardrock-50 online.
--
John AE5X

Bob Ballard

Thank you Gregg!  That’s exactly the detail I needed.  You are obviously an Elmer Extraordinaire!

I believe this is going to be the most complex and rewarding Ham radio project I’ve done so far (i.e., first, a non-QRP 50W PA and a QCX+ QRP Transceiver once they get here). 

And thanks also to Arv for providing the link to the Instructables.com website.

Thanks again and 73,

Bob – KG5SQJ

Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 2:48 PM
Subject: Re: [QRPLabs] ] Adapt A Bioenno 24v LiFePO4 Battery To Run The QRPLabs 50 Watt PA?

Hi Bob,

This module is not difficult to setup. It has three adjustments: You can supply any voltage up to about 30v and the board can handle it. The three adjustments are:

Undervoltage - The voltage at which you want the output of the module to stop supplying power (say you want the module to kill power if my 12v battery voltage drops below 10v ... in other words, you don't want to power something from a battery until the battery is fully drained). If you want to switch from a 24v to a 12v, you might just set this to 10v so in either case, you won't be undervoltage on a fully charged battery. But when using the 24v battery, you should then keep an eye on it so you don't deplete it excessively as dropping a 25v battery down to 10v is a bit much. Personally, I wouldn't see the need to buy a 24v battery if you are using this module as 12v works fine. I am using a 12v car battery for mine.

Constant Voltage - The output you want to apply to the amp (e.g. 20v)

Constant Current - This setting is only used if you want to supply a constant current output. You don't want the constant current to kick in, so you will be adjusting this 'wide open' so it will not limit current. When constant current kicks in, it starts to limit the output voltage below your set point and that's why you don't want this setting.

The three pots on the board are all 10 turn pots with no 'stop'. In other words, the will keep turning forever, but the resistance will either go to zero or max out. To tell if you are at the end of the 10 turns, you might listen for a slight 'click' but I couldn't hear any click on mine just now. But the click (if you hear it) means you have turned the pot as far as it will go in that particular direction

1. First setup the undervoltage. You can do this with a somewhat depleted battery or another constant voltage source if you have one.  Basically, you want to set this to the point where you want the output of the module to turn off. Assuming you don't have another source, put a somewhat run down battery on the input. Then adjust the undervoltage protection pot down until the undervoltage LED turns on. That means as soon as your input voltage drops to the set value (e.g. the voltage of a depleted battery), the output from the module will turn off completely. This is not very critical but basically, you don't normally want to run your battery down to zero volts. They don't like that.

2. Next setup the Constant Voltage (labeled CV in picture below). Put a voltmeter on the output and your (fully charged) battery on the input. Adjust the output voltage for 20v

3. Finally set the Constant Current pot so the module is not limiting current for you. In other words, the module will always be in Constant Voltage mode. This will either be turning the CC pot fully clockwise or fully counter clockwise, I forget which. But if you turn it the wrong way, but if I remember right, you will see one of the indicator lights either turn on or change color (again, I don't remember which one) which means it is limiting current and probably get little output voltage. If that happens, turn this pot a full 10 turns the other way and you should be good to go.

Buck or boost doesn't matter. The module will do whichever for you to maintain the set output voltage. I hope that helps!

73, Gregg w7grm

Gregg,

Bob – KG5SQJ

Hi Gregg,

Bob – KG5SQJ

To: QRPLabs@groupsio

Hi Bob,

That  buck/boost fits in a 12.5cm x 10cm x 8cm tall aluminum box quite comfortably. You could likely go a bit smaller if you wanted (I wasn’t really trying for small as possible) Sorry, I don't know what ferrites I used were as they were freebies from my brother. But I'm sure you can get find some clip on EFI type ferrites and they will be fine (if you even need them at all). I would just try it without the ferrites first. I used this aluminum box here by Bud Industries:

Gregg w7grm

Thanks Gregg!

Thanks again and 73,

Bob – KG5SQJ

Gregg w7grm

Hi Brian,

management is trivial.

Bill  KU8H

> solution:
>
>

--
bark less - wag more

Jon Reck W8REA

I ordered one of these power supplies from Amazon and can report that it powers my 50W PA nicely. I am not shielding it and there is no obvious RF pollution that I can detect by ear on my QCX.  I just ordered another one for another project.

Jon Reck W8REA

Jon Reck W8REA

Just to be clear, I was referring to the ltc3780 board. I just noticed there was more than one power supply discussed in this thread.
Jon Reck W8REA

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MK2WBPQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1