Topics

My New Project - QCX plays a big part in article

Gwen Patton

Hey all!

I just finished up enough of my latest research project to share. It's a way of using consumer-grade USB-C Power Delivery power banks to power QRP rigs in the field. I stress-tested it with my 40m QCX, and it worked great!

Check it out!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73,
Gwen, NG3P

Ben

Thanks for the nice article!

Weren't there any problems with low current auto shut off? I have another non-USB-C powerbank with 12 and 20V, but it shuts of automatically because the QCX current draw on receive is below the threshold.

George Korper

Wonderful article, great pix and links. Thanks Gwen.
FYI SotaBeams sells a nice little board that plugs into
a Powerbank and keeps it on. I use them for WSPR.

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 4:34 AM Ben <ben@...> wrote:
Thanks for the nice article!

Weren't there any problems with low current auto shut off? I have another non-USB-C powerbank with 12 and 20V, but it shuts of automatically because the QCX current draw on receive is below the threshold.

George Korper

Gwen have you had any noise issues with these units on the QCX? I have not found a
5v to 12 v. converter that doesn't cause noise with the QCX. If you have a 5v to 12 v. converter link
i'd appreciate that, especially on Amazon if it's quiet.

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 10:58 PM Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:
Hey all!

I just finished up enough of my latest research project to share. It's a way of using consumer-grade USB-C Power Delivery power banks to power QRP rigs in the field. I stress-tested it with my 40m QCX, and it worked great!

Check it out!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73,
Gwen, NG3P

N3MNT

This is a question you always have to ask as it is usually not in the description.  The circuitry used in most power banks have a min current draw required to know it is being used.  If not met the bank shuts down.  Generally the larger the power bank the higher the min current.

Gwen Patton

No problem with that, because it's not the radio drawing from the peer bank, it's the *sink board*. It's doing the negotiation for voltage and current, and overrides the under draw shutoff. It sat there operating for 7 straight hours without shutting off once.

73,
Gwen, NG3P

On Fri, May 22, 2020, 4:34 AM Ben <ben@...> wrote:
Thanks for the nice article!

Weren't there any problems with low current auto shut off? I have another non-USB-C powerbank with 12 and 20V, but it shuts of automatically because the QCX current draw on receive is below the threshold.

Gwen Patton

George, it's not a 5v to 12v converter. The USB-C does that. The sink board just tells the bank what to provide. It's not a boost circuit, so there's no high frequency oscillator pumping up the voltage.

On Fri, May 22, 2020, 6:55 AM George Korper <georgekorper@...> wrote:
Gwen have you had any noise issues with these units on the QCX? I have not found a
5v to 12 v. converter that doesn't cause noise with the QCX. If you have a 5v to 12 v. converter link
i'd appreciate that, especially on Amazon if it's quiet.

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 10:58 PM Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:
Hey all!

I just finished up enough of my latest research project to share. It's a way of using consumer-grade USB-C Power Delivery power banks to power QRP rigs in the field. I stress-tested it with my 40m QCX, and it worked great!

Check it out!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73,
Gwen, NG3P

Gwen Patton

Once again, it's the sink board negotiating the provided voltage and current, NOT THE QCX. It's the Power Delivery protocol at work here.

73,
Gwen, NG3P

On Fri, May 22, 2020, 8:27 AM N3MNT <bob@...> wrote:
This is a question you always have to ask as it is usually not in the description.  The circuitry used in most power banks have a min current draw required to know it is being used.  If not met the bank shuts down.  Generally the larger the power bank the higher the min current.

Evan Hand

Thank you for posting the article!  It has opened some doors to ideas on how to use the QCX+ I have on order.

I still have the question of noise in the total power chain.  Is it significant or objectionable?

I would assume that you did not have any issues, as you are using it.  The question then is if you took any measurements on the feed to the QCX with an oscilloscope?

73
Evan
AC9TU

Ben

On 22-05-2020 20:07, Gwen Patton wrote:
No problem with that, because it's not the radio drawing from the peer
bank, it's the *sink board*. It's doing the negotiation for voltage
and current, and overrides the under draw shutoff. It sat there
operating for 7 straight hours without shutting off once.
Oh wow, that is great, thanks :)

George Korper

I have a power bank and now I get it. My first read of your article didn't 'sink in'. But can all power banks that say USB C actually deliver 20 v. ? The standard is one thing but is the battery always capable?

On Thu, May 21, 2020, 9:58 PM Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:
Hey all!

I just finished up enough of my latest research project to share. It's a way of using consumer-grade USB-C Power Delivery power banks to power QRP rigs in the field. I stress-tested it with my 40m QCX, and it worked great!

Check it out!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73,
Gwen, NG3P

Gwen Patton

The key, George, is that the bank must be from the POWER DELIVERY standard. Look for the "PD" symbol in its literature. Not QC (Qualcomm Quickcharge), that's a totally different standard, but POWER DELIVERY. PD will, when asked by a device, provide power from 5v to 20v at various currents. It can also be specified by the wattage required, if that's a better measure. Here's one whitepaper on the subject:  http://www.ti.com/interface/usb/type-c-and-power-delivery/getting-started.html

In PD, you have either the SOURCE, or the SINK. The source provides the power, the sink receives the power. In this case, the sink is the board negotiating the handshaking protocol between the source and the device using the power, in our use case, the radio. The sink is what does the communicating with the source and sets the conditions, then maintains that link as long as necessary. I found a single smart sink cable useful because so many QRP radios use pretty much the same configuration -- 12v, 3A or less, and a 2.5mm x 5.5mm coaxial power plug -- so I could make a single cable for nearly all of my QRP rigs, set with the single power request.

Beyond the sink board, it's just the radio. All the radio sees is a 12v power source, and this is negotiated by the sink board with the source power bank.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73,
Gwen, NG3P

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 3:14 PM George Korper <georgekorper@...> wrote:
I have a power bank and now I get it. My first read of your article didn't 'sink in'. But can all power banks that say USB C actually deliver 20 v. ? The standard is one thing but is the battery always capable?

On Thu, May 21, 2020, 9:58 PM Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:
Hey all!

I just finished up enough of my latest research project to share. It's a way of using consumer-grade USB-C Power Delivery power banks to power QRP rigs in the field. I stress-tested it with my 40m QCX, and it worked great!

Check it out!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73,
Gwen, NG3P

expat48@...

Excellent, well written and nice lay out of options...big thumbs up!!  Thanks
73

George Korper

Thank you for the key Gwen!

James Sweeden

Thanks for sharing, lots of good information.  I'll be reading again to soak it all in!

James/KB7LJP

Ben

Does anyone has experience with these PD decoy DC DC trigger modules?
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000459863567.html

Wording is is bit odd, i mean, English is not my first language, but:
"The hardware chip will randomly apply for voltage. For example, if you want a 15V model, it may generate other voltages" what, why?! ;-)