Topics

Warning: QCX CAT operation sets CW speed to 0 #problem #qsx #solution #cat

Ham Radio

When using Ham Radio Deluxe in TS480 mode to control the QCX, the QCX CW speed get sets to 0.  This problem is reproducible.

As a work around, set Ham Radio Deluxe to TS440S mode (which does not set or read the CW speed).  The TS-440S has a greatly reduced CAT repertoire.
--
73, Bernie, VE3FWF

jjpurdum

Setting the CW speed to 0 isn't necessarily bad, as that also lets you use a straight key.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 9:06:17 AM EDT, Ham Radio <bernard.murphy@...> wrote:

When using Ham Radio Deluxe in TS480 mode to control the QCX, the QCX CW speed get sets to 0.  This problem is reproducible.

As a work around, set Ham Radio Deluxe to TS440S mode (which does not set or read the CW speed).  The TS-440S has a greatly reduced CAT repertoire.
--
73, Bernie, VE3FWF

Gregg Myers

I saw my key speed get set to zero several times when my interface was polling the QCX using my initial program on my home built interface. My program is still early in development.  But when I changed my program to use the QU feature that Hans added to his CAT command set, I haven't seen it since.

If anyone is making their own controller, I highly recommend using the QU command instead of polling which inundates the radio with a constant barrage of queries. You enable that feature by sending a QU1; to the radio (note: I did not see this mentioned in the manually anywhere about how to enable it) The QU feature makes it possible to only queries the radio when something changes, and that is really, really nice. Unfortunately, I would quess all generic logging software utilizes polling of the radio to periodically update the radio values. If you can reduce the polling rate on generic software, I would guess that is better. The QU command is custom to the QCX which can only be utilized with your own software, and what a great feature Hans has to offer here!

I noticed one small bug with FT; or FR; where I do not get a FT2; response from the radio with split A/B mode. That's only a minor issue for me with v. 1.05. Thats the only thing I noticed so far.

73, Gregg
w7grm

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 7:12 AM jjpurdum via groups.io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Setting the CW speed to 0 isn't necessarily bad, as that also lets you use a straight key.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 9:06:17 AM EDT, Ham Radio <bernard.murphy@...> wrote:

When using Ham Radio Deluxe in TS480 mode to control the QCX, the QCX CW speed get sets to 0.  This problem is reproducible.

As a work around, set Ham Radio Deluxe to TS440S mode (which does not set or read the CW speed).  The TS-440S has a greatly reduced CAT repertoire.
--
73, Bernie, VE3FWF

jjpurdum

Hi Greg:

P113 in the v5 manual does talk about the QU command.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 9:58:29 AM EDT, Gregg Myers <gregg.w7grm@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Jack,

The manual does indeed talk about QU (that's where I learned to use it). But I didn't see anywhere in the manual about enabling it with a QU1; command. In v 1.04 it used to be a menu item. In v 1.05 you have to send a QU1; command. I only figured that out by searching the forum.

73,
Gregg w7grm

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 8:04 AM jjpurdum via groups.io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Hans Summers

Hi Gregg

I'll check the QU1; command in the manual... maybe it is missing... and I will check the zero keyer speed problem too.

QU is indeed a nice feature! But as you said, specific to QCX. It isn't gonna work on any existing software. In those cases setting the polling interval a bit slower is a good idea.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Wed, May 20, 2020, 17:11 Gregg Myers <gregg.w7grm@...> wrote:
[...]

HI Gregg:

You need to get the V5 manual, as it states at the bottom of p 113:

Firmware 1.05 and above: This feature is enabled by sending the CAT command QU1; to switch on notifications. QU0; switches off notifications.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 10:11:19 AM EDT, Gregg Myers <gregg.w7grm@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Jack, Hans,

Ok, I see it now, thanks! I did have the right manual, it seems when I printed out the manual, the text was off the bottom of the page. I should have 'fit the print to the page' option! Doh!

Cheers,
Gregg

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 8:24 AM jjpurdum via groups.io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I had to switch from the paddle in the middle of a QSO to using the micro switch as a key when the problem occured.

My CW with the micro switch was a bit “choppy”.    :-)
--
73, Bernie, VE3FWF