QCX+ accessory experimenter's board?

Hans Summers

Hi all

Seeking your opinion...

I have an idea to offer also an accessory to the QCX+, a dev board PCB that would be supplied with four 12mm nylon hex spacers and 8pcs 6mm M3 screws, so it would bolt in on top of the QCX+ board. With a selection of pin headers and connectors to allow you to connect to all the header points on the QCX+ board.

The rest of the board a matrix of copper lined, 0.9mm holes with solder pads.

The intention of the board: to let people develop their own QCX+ modifications, anything they want, on that upper deck board. Batteries? Filters? Audio amp? What do you imagine?

It seems an easy project to produce such a PCB in parallel with QCX+. I will have to price everything up but it should certainly be in single digit $ for this experimenter's accessory kit.

What do you think?

73 Hans G0UPL

Roger Hill

I like it!

Roger

G3YTN

---
***************************
Roger Hill
***************************

On 2020-05-16 08:57, Hans Summers wrote:

Hi all

Seeking your opinion...

I have an idea to offer also an accessory to the QCX+, a dev board PCB that would be supplied with four 12mm nylon hex spacers and 8pcs 6mm M3 screws, so it would bolt in on top of the QCX+ board. With a selection of pin headers and connectors to allow you to connect to all the header points on the QCX+ board.

The rest of the board a matrix of copper lined, 0.9mm holes with solder pads.

The intention of the board: to let people develop their own QCX+ modifications, anything they want, on that upper deck board. Batteries? Filters? Audio amp? What do you imagine?

It seems an easy project to produce such a PCB in parallel with QCX+. I will have to price everything up but it should certainly be in single digit $ for this experimenter's accessory kit.

What do you think?

73 Hans G0UPL

Gregg Myers

I think this is an excellent idea. Someone (like me) would even order more than one, such that I might be able to swap out ‘experiments’

73 and thanks for continually striving to improve the QCX!

Gregg W7grm

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 6:57 AM Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:
[...]

Dave VE3GSO

Yes indeed.  The nature of the people here seems to be to want to experiment, add on, perhaps to build multi-band capability, whatever, and such a tool would be extremely useful.  I’ve already ordered, so please add this to my order and let me know what I owe.

Dave
VE3GSO (and VE3EI)

On May 16, 2020, at 09:00, Roger Hill <rhill@...> wrote:

I like it!

Roger

G3YTN

---
***************************
Roger Hill
***************************

On 2020-05-16 08:57, Hans Summers wrote:

Hi all

Seeking your opinion...

I have an idea to offer also an accessory to the QCX+, a dev board PCB that would be supplied with four 12mm nylon hex spacers and 8pcs 6mm M3 screws, so it would bolt in on top of the QCX+ board. With a selection of pin headers and connectors to allow you to connect to all the header points on the QCX+ board.

The rest of the board a matrix of copper lined, 0.9mm holes with solder pads.

The intention of the board: to let people develop their own QCX+ modifications, anything they want, on that upper deck board. Batteries? Filters? Audio amp? What do you imagine?

It seems an easy project to produce such a PCB in parallel with QCX+. I will have to price everything up but it should certainly be in single digit $ for this experimenter's accessory kit.

What do you think?

73 Hans G0UPL

Lee

Great idea!   Count me in......       de WA3FIY  Lee

Oh .... of course I will have to order a QCX+ also won't I?     :-)

I have an idea to offer also an accessory to the QCX+, a dev board PCB that would be supplied with four 12mm nylon hex spacers and 8pcs 6mm M3 screws, so it would bolt in on top of the QCX+ board. With a selection of pin headers and connectors to allow you to connect to all the header points on the QCX+ board.

The rest of the board a matrix of copper lined, 0.9mm holes with solder pads.

The intention of the board: to let people develop their own QCX+ modifications, anything they want, on that upper deck board. Batteries? Filters? Audio amp? What do you imagine?

It seems an easy project to produce such a PCB in parallel with QCX+. I will have to price everything up but it should certainly be in single digit $ for this experimenter's accessory kit.

What do you think?

73 Hans G0UPL

John Baines

Hi Hans,

Yes please.
If it is ready in time, could it be added to my QCX+ order to save on postage?

73
John
M0JBA

On 16 May 2020, at 14:32, Lee <Lee@...> wrote:

[...]

Jonathan Dog

Hans --

Excellent. Perhaps you could consider something to ease back panel work too. Doing the circuit is the easy part, mounting a non-grid socket and machining or hand-cutting the back panel nicely are tricky. I'm imagining perhaps 3/4-depth laser cuts, so that well-shaped holes can be knocked-out and hand-filed smooth.

Sockets which I think might be useful: RJ45, Mini-Fit jr (eg Mole, DB-9. BNC, SMC, SO239, 1/4-in jack.

For my part, I'm considering experiments with microcontroller additions relating to CAT, GPS and various digital transmissions.

Thanks for considering.

All best,
Jonathan.

geoff M0ORE

From you description, it sounds like Veroboard. I have some for RF use that is ground plane on one side and pads on other. Can't remember where it came from.

On 16/05/2020 13:57, Hans Summers wrote:
[...]

Ryan Flowers

Very much yes! Even just using it for structural reasons would be great. But yeah! Single digit dollars? No brainier.

On Sat, May 16, 2020, 5:57 AM Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:
Hi all

Seeking your opinion...

I have an idea to offer also an accessory to the QCX+, a dev board PCB that would be supplied with four 12mm nylon hex spacers and 8pcs 6mm M3 screws, so it would bolt in on top of the QCX+ board. With a selection of pin headers and connectors to allow you to connect to all the header points on the QCX+ board.

The rest of the board a matrix of copper lined, 0.9mm holes with solder pads.

The intention of the board: to let people develop their own QCX+ modifications, anything they want, on that upper deck board. Batteries? Filters? Audio amp? What do you imagine?

It seems an easy project to produce such a PCB in parallel with QCX+. I will have to price everything up but it should certainly be in single digit $ for this experimenter's accessory kit.

What do you think?

Ryan Flowers - W7RLF
MiscDotGeek - QRP and More

Evan Hand

Yes, it does sound like a good idea.  Maybe a place to build an ATU?

73
Evan
AC9TU

Cory KG7BBV

That'd be sweet!
--
Cory, KG7BBV

Ben Bangerter, K0IKR

Hans,

A development board such as you describe is a great idea!  Whether it should be suitable for rf circuitry or not (ie lots of ground plane) I am not so sure.  Likely development projects would connect to the outside world, so the back panel becomes an issue.  You could offer the back panel as a separate item, or bundle it with the board.  Should it be punched for connectors?  I think not.  Or maybe a DB-9 jack...  I like those 😲!

73,   Ben  K0IKR

Steven Dick

Sounds like a nice add-on board if you need to add your own functions.
-Steve K1RF