QCX+ accessory experimenter's board?

Hans Summers

Hi all

Seeking your opinion...

I have an idea to offer also an accessory to the QCX+, a dev board PCB that would be supplied with four 12mm nylon hex spacers and 8pcs 6mm M3 screws, so it would bolt in on top of the QCX+ board. With a selection of pin headers and connectors to allow you to connect to all the header points on the QCX+ board. 

The rest of the board a matrix of copper lined, 0.9mm holes with solder pads. 

The intention of the board: to let people develop their own QCX+ modifications, anything they want, on that upper deck board. Batteries? Filters? Audio amp? What do you imagine?

It seems an easy project to produce such a PCB in parallel with QCX+. I will have to price everything up but it should certainly be in single digit $ for this experimenter's accessory kit. 

What do you think?

73 Hans G0UPL 

Roger Hill

I like it!

Roger

G3YTN

---
Roger Hill

On 2020-05-16 08:57, Hans Summers wrote:

Hi all

Seeking your opinion...

I have an idea to offer also an accessory to the QCX+, a dev board PCB that would be supplied with four 12mm nylon hex spacers and 8pcs 6mm M3 screws, so it would bolt in on top of the QCX+ board. With a selection of pin headers and connectors to allow you to connect to all the header points on the QCX+ board. 

The intention of the board: to let people develop their own QCX+ modifications, anything they want, on that upper deck board. Batteries? Filters? Audio amp? What do you imagine?

It seems an easy project to produce such a PCB in parallel with QCX+. I will have to price everything up but it should certainly be in single digit $ for this experimenter's accessory kit. 

What do you think?

73 Hans G0UPL 

Gregg Myers

I think this is an excellent idea. Someone (like me) would even order more than one, such that I might be able to swap out ‘experiments’

73 and thanks for continually striving to improve the QCX!

Gregg W7grm

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 6:57 AM Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:
Hi all

Seeking your opinion...

What do you think?

73 Hans G0UPL 

Dave VE3GSO

Yes indeed.  The nature of the people here seems to be to want to experiment, add on, perhaps to build multi-band capability, whatever, and such a tool would be extremely useful.  I’ve already ordered, so please add this to my order and let me know what I owe.

Dave
VE3GSO (and VE3EI)

On May 16, 2020, at 09:00, Roger Hill <rhill@...> wrote:

I like it!

Roger

G3YTN

---
Roger Hill

On 2020-05-16 08:57, Hans Summers wrote:

Hi all

Seeking your opinion...

What do you think?

73 Hans G0UPL 

Lee

Great idea!   Count me in......       de WA3FIY  Lee

Oh .... of course I will have to order a QCX+ also won't I?     :-)

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 5/16/2020 8:57:02 AM
Subject: [QRPLabs] QCX+ accessory experimenter's board?

Hi all

Seeking your opinion...

What do you think?

73 Hans G0UPL 

John Baines

Hi Hans,

Yes please.  
If it is ready in time, could it be added to my QCX+ order to save on postage?

John
M0JBA

On 16 May 2020, at 14:32, Lee <Lee@...> wrote:

Great idea!   Count me in......       de WA3FIY  Lee

Oh .... of course I will have to order a QCX+ also won't I?     :-)

Sent: 5/16/2020 8:57:02 AM
Subject: [QRPLabs] QCX+ accessory experimenter's board?

Hi all

Seeking your opinion...

What do you think?

73 Hans G0UPL 

Jonathan Dog

Hans --

Excellent. Perhaps you could consider something to ease back panel work too. Doing the circuit is the easy part, mounting a non-grid socket and machining or hand-cutting the back panel nicely are tricky. I'm imagining perhaps 3/4-depth laser cuts, so that well-shaped holes can be knocked-out and hand-filed smooth.

Sockets which I think might be useful: RJ45, Mini-Fit jr (eg Mole, DB-9. BNC, SMC, SO239, 1/4-in jack.

For my part, I'm considering experiments with microcontroller additions relating to CAT, GPS and various digital transmissions.

Thanks for considering.

All best,
Jonathan.

geoff M0ORE

From you description, it sounds like Veroboard. I have some for RF use that is ground plane on one side and pads on other. Can't remember where it came from.

On 16/05/2020 13:57, Hans Summers wrote:
Hi all

Seeking your opinion...

What do you think?

73 Hans G0UPL 

Ryan Flowers

Very much yes! Even just using it for structural reasons would be great. But yeah! Single digit dollars? No brainier.

On Sat, May 16, 2020, 5:57 AM Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:
Hi all

Seeking your opinion...

What do you think?

73 Hans G0UPL 

--
Ryan Flowers - W7RLF
MiscDotGeek - QRP and More

Evan Hand

Yes, it does sound like a good idea.  Maybe a place to build an ATU?

Evan
AC9TU

Cory KG7BBV

That'd be sweet!
--
Cory, KG7BBV

Ben Bangerter, K0IKR

Hans,

A development board such as you describe is a great idea!  Whether it should be suitable for rf circuitry or not (ie lots of ground plane) I am not so sure.  Likely development projects would connect to the outside world, so the back panel becomes an issue.  You could offer the back panel as a separate item, or bundle it with the board.  Should it be punched for connectors?  I think not.  Or maybe a DB-9 jack...  I like those 😲!

73,   Ben  K0IKR

Steven Dick

Sounds like a nice add-on board if you need to add your own functions.
-Steve K1RF

Sent: 5/16/2020 11:03:10 AM
Subject: Re: [QRPLabs] QCX+ accessory experimenter's board?

That'd be sweet!
--
Cory, KG7BBV

Virus-free. www.avast.com

N3MNT

Nice idea.  Just hope it does not detract from the QSX effort.

Ron Vingerling PA0RCL

Sounds like a good idea,Hans, count me in! I already pre-ordered the QCXP to go with it!

Shirley Dulcey KE1L

I'd buy one. Though probably not until I'm also ordering something else so I wouldn't get whacked with another shipping fee; it might well cost more to get the board here than the board itself costs :(

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 11:53 AM <pa.zero.rcl@...> wrote:
Sounds like a good idea,Hans, count me in! I already pre-ordered the QCXP to go with it!

john.rogers@...

Hans,
I like the idea, thanks!
I like it as a separately-purchased accessory to keep the QCX+ cost down.
Consider running rails down the center, and joining some of the holes like this below.
I find these extra connections useful.
https://www.bc-robotics.com/shop/1591l-proto-board/

John AC2SG

Steve Horton

Hans,

I think that is an excellent suggestion.

One thing I have learned is everyone has their own desires and intrests. You can't please everyone. This sounds like a clean way to add your favorite option. 
You have my vote.

WA4YGG Steve
QRP since 1970

Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...>

Hans

You cannot please everybody....how many plated thru holes versus how many SMT pads?
How many free-form pads or holes?  

I can see this being a way to add an internal Dummy Load and Stockton style 
SWR/Wattmeter bridge.  Add a switch for connection to the QCX internal DVM
and switches to select SWR v/s Power, and another switch to select FWD v/s 
REF mode.  Of course this would then require compatible software for these 
measurements.  What function to sacrifice so you have available room for the 
new software?     Maybe this will require users to select which software load 
they might want installed in their QCX when they order it...or socket the AVR 
and allow users to switch processor chips as needed.

You will never please everybody!

Arv
_._

Hi all

Seeking your opinion...

What do you think?

73 Hans G0UPL 

Ryan Flowers

The only addition I can think of with regard to the original question was that there ought to be a documented way to run 12 and 5 volts from the main board up to the add on board. 

On Sat, May 16, 2020, 12:44 PM Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:
Hans

You cannot please everybody....how many plated thru holes versus how many SMT pads?
How many free-form pads or holes?  

I can see this being a way to add an internal Dummy Load and Stockton style 
SWR/Wattmeter bridge.  Add a switch for connection to the QCX internal DVM
and switches to select SWR v/s Power, and another switch to select FWD v/s 
REF mode.  Of course this would then require compatible software for these 
measurements.  What function to sacrifice so you have available room for the 
new software?     Maybe this will require users to select which software load 
they might want installed in their QCX when they order it...or socket the AVR 
and allow users to switch processor chips as needed.

You will never please everybody!

Arv
_._

Hi all

Seeking your opinion...

What do you think?

73 Hans G0UPL 

--
Ryan Flowers - W7RLF
MiscDotGeek - QRP and More