Running One Watt on Purpose

George Korper

Hi All,

I would like to hear from Group members who have experience  in purposely
running one watt. I have never been a serious QRPer, rather I just like little rigs.

Well I have the QCX dialed back to a watt and what I have is a EFHW up 25 feet.
I want to spend the next few months playing in the QRP world. Those of you who do
this and enjoy it, please post hints and tips, and stories.

Thanks,
George

Mike Besemer - WM4B

George,

Are you talking about CW or WSPR?

Mike

WM4G

I would like to hear from Group members who have experience  in purposely
running one watt. I have never been a serious QRPer, rather I just like little rigs.

Well I have the QCX dialed back to a watt and what I have is a EFHW up 25 feet.
I want to spend the next few months playing in the QRP world. Those of you who do
this and enjoy it, please post hints and tips, and stories.

Thanks,
George

Don VE3IDS

George

I have built three of the "one watters" rigs from W8DIZ, 40 metres, 30, and 17. I had great fun with them and lots of contacts. If the band is open, I find that QRP is quite productive. I don't find that 100 watts does tons more that 1 watt, certainly not as much difference as one might expect. I use a 130' doublet for all bands and find it very efficient.

72 Don ve3ids

On Thu., May 14, 2020, 9:52 p.m. George Korper, <georgekorper@...> wrote:
Hi All,

I would like to hear from Group members who have experience  in purposely
running one watt. I have never been a serious QRPer, rather I just like little rigs.

Well I have the QCX dialed back to a watt and what I have is a EFHW up 25 feet.
I want to spend the next few months playing in the QRP world. Those of you who do
this and enjoy it, please post hints and tips, and stories.

Thanks,
George

George Korper

This will be my attempt at real QRP on CW. I run WSPR at 200 mW and
that is different. I am already encouraged by Don's response. I want to run off a 9 Volt alkaline
sometimes and use a Voltage Regulator at others. This is QRP labs group, and I woke up this morning
and finished a striped down teeny tiny QCX to fit in my pocket and realized, I had never gotten serious about QRP
as a way of being a ham...I just kind of went along, but I want to be thrilled again...I want to send 72 sometimes!

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 10:02 PM Don VE3IDS <ve3ids.don@...> wrote:
[...]

Chris Wood

George
I have a 30m QCX which runs at just under 2w out on 13.8v and just under 1w out on 9v.  I fitted a double pole centre off switch in the DC line for High - Off - Low which feeds 13.8v direct to the rig on High and via a 7809 regulator board on Low.   Aerial is a 140ft long doublet but only 18ft above ground, running NE/SW in southern England.

Using the low power setting I have worked around western Europe though conditions have not been particularly good when I've been on, usually daytime.  Using the full 2w has got me a bit further into eastern Europe.

By no means spectacular, but I've enjoyed doing it.  I am not very active and I've no doubt I could do better if I put more effort into it and chose my time and conditions more carefully.

Remember your namesake GM3OXX (SK) only used homebrew rigs with wire aerials and a max of 1w out, to get a country score over 300.  Look him up if you're not familiar with his achievements.

So, have a go!  What's to lose?

Chris
G4CWS

Andy V. Borisenko

the lower the power, the more efficient the antenna should be.
EFHW for QRP is not the best choice...

N3MNT

For me a few good contacts with my home built 2w QRP rig and wire ant is much more rewarding than a log full of contacts with my QRO radio and a fancy antenna.

Skip Davis

George I have run at 2 watts out for years into a 40 meter dipole with TV twinlead feeder and loaded on other bands with a tuner and it worked great. As others have pointed out much of the time the other stations don’t know the difference. I achieved WAS and DXCC without trying hard and even made contacts during contests. Cracking pileups with a couple of watts is quite a thrill but Also having a comfortable QSO is rewarding too.

What operating at this power level will do for you is sharpen your operating skills. Just in the last year I acquired a high power amp (1kw) to use mostly for nets operating, and I’ve got to tell you after a week of using it with my wire antennas to make contacts it was point and shoot contact made in pileups. After a week the fun was gone, it became too easy.....so back to QRP or a lot lower power for me. I run about 20 watts CW so that is where the 50 watt amplifier comes into play. If the other station is struggling I will up my power otherwise I keep on going.
Have fun and be patient.

72/73
Skip Davis, NC9O

jjpurdum

Skip:

I was almost inactive while I was working, but when I retired, I became more active. I had a GT550 xcvr running about 500W and,even with a crap antenna, making QSO's was pretty easy. Also, When I got my General in 1955 after operating as a CW-only Novice, I vowed "Never CW again!" and I pretty much stuck to that. However, I "discovered" QRP when I retired and started using low power CW...again! Don't know what it is about running a few watts and making contacts thousands of miles away that gives me so much pleasure, but I wish I could convey it to those who don't know or use CW. For the Been-there-done-that crowd, they should give QRP CW a shot...it's a real shot in the arm!

Jack, W8TEE

On Friday, May 15, 2020, 12:14:35 PM EDT, Skip Davis via groups.io <skipnc9o@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Skip, I can't wait to start.
Thinking I won't make a contact was my problem. Now that was silly!

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 12:13 PM Skip Davis via groups.io <skipnc9o=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Jack, I was looking for the shot in the arm. These comments are working me out of a rut.
I got nothing but time, so patience should be easier.

On Friday, May 15, 2020, 12:14:35 PM EDT, Skip Davis via groups.io <skipnc9o=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

A couple other tidbits came to mind. I have worked the Russian Antarctica base and also the Russian airbase there both on QRP from here in Canada. That was fun! Also back in 1979 I built a"sardine sender" that was in QST. It ran about 1/2 watt on 80 and I had 15 states and three provinces confirmed with that little novelty rig. You will have alot of fun with QRP I am sure.
72 Don ve3ids

On Fri., May 15, 2020, 12:53 p.m. George Korper, <georgekorper@...> wrote:
[...]

Don:

How about a 49-er, but adding a VFO and LCD display:

and it works pretty well!

Jack, W8TEE

On Friday, May 15, 2020, 1:14:16 PM EDT, Don VE3IDS <ve3ids.don@...> wrote:

[...]

Jack
I saw your write up and I almost built one then. Looks great, congrats!

72 Don ve3ids

On Fri., May 15, 2020, 1:40 p.m. jjpurdum via groups.io, <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Don. For the money, it's a good way to get someone on a lawn-mowing budget into the hobby, plus it's small enough to go almost anywhere.

Jack, W8TEE