Transformer & Inductor Wire Gauges #qcx #manual #parts #40m #qcx40

KC2UOK@...

Hi Everyone,

Just got my QCX 40m kit in the mail and finished inventorying all the parts. I have PCBv5 and Software v1.04 (shipped JUST before 1.05 was released, DOH!)
I received everything plus an extra resistor and capacitor here and there, but I have a question about the 2 lengths of wire that were supplied.

The parts list mentions AWG 28 (0.33mm diameter) wire.

I received:
1x gold colored length of 0.36mm diameter (likely AWG 27) wire in the main kit bag
1x red colored length of 0.34mm diameter (likely AWG 28-ish) wire in the 40m LPF bag

Are both of these rolls enameled? Should I use the gold colored thicker wire for the large Transformer T1 and the thinner red wire for Inductors L1-4? Will it make a big difference in the end? All the pictures in the manual seem to show gold-ish colored wires on the transformer and all the inductors.

I want to be very sure before I start putting this beauty together.

Thank you in advance for any insights and comments!

73 de W2SHT/Stephan

Arv Evans

Stephan W2SHT

Most likely both pieces of wire are AWG28 under the insulating paint.  If you have an
ohmmeter you can easily test for presence of insulation by testing for conductivity.

Size of wire actually makes little difference in inductance when winding onto toroid
cores.  It is the number of passes through the core that controls inductance.  Since
there is a little distributed capacitance between windings it is possible to slightly tune
the windings by spacing or squeezing the turns.

Arv  K7HKL
_._

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 3:18 PM <KC2UOK@...> wrote:
[...]

That is correct. Use the thicker wire for the transformer, thinner for the filter inductors.
From page 11 of the manual:
"Wind the L1-3 inductors with the enamelled copper wire supplied in the LPF kit bag. Wind the other inductors (L4 and transformer T1) using the wire supplied in the main kit bag."

KC2UOK@...

Thank you so much for the timely guidance. I would have responded sooner but I was busy winding coils! I am happy to report all went smoothly.

Wonderful to be part of this great community.

Best health, Best Wishes, and Best DX!

de W2SHT/Stephan