Topics

28 pin socket... #qcx #40m

B.A. Black

ok, just powered up the QCX....
LCD has blocks on the top row and blank on the bottom row.
I have removed, inspected and reinstalled IC-2 as per the troubleshooting page in the manual,  as well as checked all the solder joints on the socket.
now for the crazy question...when i installed the socket, it only had 25 pins.
is this normal or am I missing some pins??

if I am missing some pins, how does one remove the socket with as little frustration as possible??

thanks in advance.
Brett/K5BEZ

Dean Smith

Should be 28 pins for socket, accept nothing less, theyre all needed! :)
To replace socket, a desolder tool would be the answer.
which fated pins are missing?
The ATmega 328 needs pins 2,3,4,5,6 to be connected to the LCD for sure!

George Korper

No it isn't normal. 28 pins is normal.
Are they missing or folded underneath?

On Fri, May 8, 2020, 10:41 PM B.A. Black <k5bez1@...> wrote:
ok, just powered up the QCX....
LCD has blocks on the top row and blank on the bottom row.
I have removed, inspected and reinstalled IC-2 as per the troubleshooting page in the manual,  as well as checked all the solder joints on the socket.
now for the crazy question...when i installed the socket, it only had 25 pins.
is this normal or am I missing some pins??

if I am missing some pins, how does one remove the socket with as little frustration as possible??

thanks in advance.
Brett/K5BEZ

B.A. Black

Missing.

B.A. Black

Ok, thanks.

i have a desoldering tool.

i’ll start the removal process tomorrow.

Dean Smith

A quick and dirty solution is to pop a piece of thinnish wire up through the socket and solder on pcb, for each pin.
as you only have 3 missing this would be least troublesome!

George Korper

BTW a smart option may be using a wire up the hole to go for continuity with the IC and check with DVM.

On Fri, May 8, 2020, 11:15 PM George Korper via groups.io <georgekorper=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
No it isn't normal. 28 pins is normal.
Are they missing or folded underneath?

On Fri, May 8, 2020, 10:41 PM B.A. Black <k5bez1@...> wrote:
ok, just powered up the QCX....
LCD has blocks on the top row and blank on the bottom row.
I have removed, inspected and reinstalled IC-2 as per the troubleshooting page in the manual,  as well as checked all the solder joints on the socket.
now for the crazy question...when i installed the socket, it only had 25 pins.
is this normal or am I missing some pins??

if I am missing some pins, how does one remove the socket with as little frustration as possible??

thanks in advance.
Brett/K5BEZ

B.A. Black

Yeah, i thought about trying that too
thx

Dean Smith

I think it's best to replace tho.
All the Best!

George Korper

Good luck you guys. I wouldn't desolder that baby . That is asking for trouble.

On Fri, May 8, 2020, 11:23 PM Dean Smith <bardezbiker@...> wrote:
I think it's best to replace tho.
All the Best!

Ryan Flowers

I think I'd just run jumpers to the bottom of the board. No biggy :)

--
Ryan Flowers - W7RLF
MiscDotGeek - QRP and More

Daniel Walter

If you have any other similar sockets around, you could rob a few pins from that and put them in the missing slots.
--
73, Dan  NM3A

George Korper

Now that's really good. Tricky, have you done it and have suggestions?

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 8:40 AM Daniel Walter via groups.io <nm3a=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
If you have any other similar sockets around, you could rob a few pins from that and put them in the missing slots.
--
73, Dan  NM3A

N3MNT

25 is a very strange number.  Are you just missing the pins that connect to the PC board or are you missing the female portion of the socket on the top?

Dave N3AC

Actually, adding a socket (or saw one up and use part of a socket) is much easier than removing and adding a socket... I've used 2 smaller sockets from time to time when I didn't have the right full-sized one.

Good luck!

Dave N3AC

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 8:40 AM Daniel Walter via groups.io <nm3a=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
If you have any other similar sockets around, you could rob a few pins from that and put them in the missing slots.
--
73, Dan  NM3A

Mike Besemer - WM4B

I’ve done it, but it has to be the same brand socket.

Mike

WM4B

Now that's really good. Tricky, have you done it and have suggestions?

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 8:40 AM Daniel Walter via groups.io <nm3a=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

If you have any other similar sockets around, you could rob a few pins from that and put them in the missing slots.
--
73, Dan  NM3A

Mike Besemer - WM4B

Easiest way to remove an entire socket is to cut/break the plastic off then extract the pins one at a time.

Mike

WM4B

Actually, adding a socket (or saw one up and use part of a socket) is much easier than removing and adding a socket... I've used 2 smaller sockets from time to time when I didn't have the right full-sized one.

Good luck!

Dave N3AC

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 8:40 AM Daniel Walter via groups.io <nm3a=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

If you have any other similar sockets around, you could rob a few pins from that and put them in the missing slots.
--
73, Dan  NM3A

Giuseppe Marullo

Easiest way is to buy a de soldering gun and be done with it in two minutes, no more drama.

Waited many years to buy one until it was useful for old stuff only(now it is all smd), definitely it is not a game changer, it is THE game changer.

And...I learnt the hard way to use exclusively tulip pin sockets (or even better tulip pin strips), wherever sockets are recommended or not, that's what I use with ic.

YMMW.

Giuseppe Marullo
IW2JWW - JN45RQ