***************************
Roger Hill
***************************

On 2020-05-07 16:17, w2eck wrote:

Just built the QLG1 kit . Used a 4 pin shielded cable scavenged from an old PC to hook up the QLG1 to my QCX. But none of the lights on the QLG1 come on. So, I know first thing to check would be the cable, but based on the experience of the Group, could it be something else? All the solder joints on the QLG1 look clean. Powering the QCX with a freshly charged 12v Bioenno battery. Haven't found any troubleshooting guides for the QLG1. Would do any harm to just run power to the 5v and Gnd pins on the QLG1 to see if it lights up?

73 Paul w2eck

N3MNT

I have run my GPS module as stand alone with 5V with no issue.  Just be careful as there is no reverse polarity protection.  The 1st time it fires up.  The red light should come on immediately but the other may take a few minutes until it gets a good fix.  I you installed that battery, make sure the polarity is correct.

KEN G4APB

Hi Paul,
the red led is across the 5v supply so should come on regardless if the gps is working or not. Have you fitted the leds the correct way round?
Have you connected the 4 way connector up backwards? Easily done.
Until you get the red light on, nothing else will work.

73 Ken G4APB

w2eck

Thanks for the replies and advice. So I  applied  5v direct to the 5v and gnd pins, and the red light comes on and the yellow blinks and the green blinked once. So it would appear my homemade cable is bad in some fashion. So will concentrate on ringing it out or build a new one.

73 Paul w2eck

N3MNT

Don't forget that TX from GPS goes to RX on QCX and RX on GPS goes to TX on QCX.

BrianB

Paul,

Make sure your U3S or QCX is putting out 5v and that you don’t have a bad solder joint in that part of the circuit.

73, BrianB N6CVO

Erwin - PE3ES - F4VTQ

...see if it lights up...

With a flash and probably a bang as well, and then all lights go out, in the near and far surroundings.
Sorry, could not restrain myself here.