Pre-wound Toroids

Richard Lawn

I just reached that point in the kit where I expected I might have trouble because of my age and hand coordination. Old age is a terrible thing but unavoidable.

I just wonder if there is anyone who sells these toroids prewound for the QSX. L2-4 aren't too bad but L1 intimidates me given how difficult it was for me to wind the first L4. It would be a great service I'd be happy to spend a reasonable amount of money for.

73
Rick, W2JAZ

Eric KE6US

You might try AA3WF. He makes high quality toroids for the Elecraft K2, but I don't know if he will do others. Can't hurt to try. His email is included on the page linked below.

https://elecraft.com/pages/pre-wound-toroids

Eric KE6US

On 4/3/2020 8:59 AM, Richard Lawn wrote:
I just reached that point in the kit where I expected I might have trouble because of my age and hand coordination. Old age is a terrible thing but unavoidable.

I just wonder if there is anyone who sells these toroids prewound for the QSX. L2-4 aren't too bad but L1 intimidates me given how difficult it was for me to wind the first L4. It would be a great service I'd be happy to spend a reasonable amount of money for.

73
Rick, W2JAZ

Michael N6MST

Mychael AA3WF does exactly this. He is the go-to guy for pre-wound toroids. He will wind to your specs for a fee and he does very good work. You can email him at toroidguy@...

Richard Lawn

Thanks guys. I’ve used him before with other kits.

73
Rick, W2JAZ

--

Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...>

Winding toroids could be an execelent way to introduce kids to ham radio.

_-_

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020, 11:57 AM Richard Lawn <rjlawn@...> wrote:
Thanks guys. I’ve used him before with other kits.

73
Rick, W2JAZ

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 1:29 PM Michael N6MST <mthompson.cob@...> wrote:
Mychael AA3WF does exactly this. He is the go-to guy for pre-wound toroids. He will wind to your specs for a fee and he does very good work. You can email him at toroidguy@...

--

Richard Lawn

Can you hear me laughing!

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 2:25 PM Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:
Winding toroids could be an execelent way to introduce kids to ham radio.

_-_

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020, 11:57 AM Richard Lawn <rjlawn@...> wrote:
Thanks guys. I’ve used him before with other kits.

73
Rick, W2JAZ

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 1:29 PM Michael N6MST <mthompson.cob@...> wrote:
Mychael AA3WF does exactly this. He is the go-to guy for pre-wound toroids. He will wind to your specs for a fee and he does very good work. You can email him at toroidguy@...

--

Gary Bernard

LOL big time.

Winding toroids could be an execelent way to introduce kids to ham radio.

_-_

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020, 11:57 AM Richard Lawn <rjlawn@...> wrote:
Thanks guys. I’ve used him before with other kits.

73
Rick, W2JAZ

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 1:29 PM Michael N6MST <mthompson.cob@...> wrote:
Mychael AA3WF does exactly this. He is the go-to guy for pre-wound toroids. He will wind to your specs for a fee and he does very good work. You can email him at toroidguy@...
--

Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...>

Wat did you find so funny.
_-_

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020, 1:03 PM Richard Lawn <rjlawn@...> wrote:
Can you hear me laughing!

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 2:25 PM Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:
Winding toroids could be an execelent way to introduce kids to ham radio.

_-_

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020, 11:57 AM Richard Lawn <rjlawn@...> wrote:
Thanks guys. I’ve used him before with other kits.

73
Rick, W2JAZ

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 1:29 PM Michael N6MST <mthompson.cob@...> wrote:
Mychael AA3WF does exactly this. He is the go-to guy for pre-wound toroids. He will wind to your specs for a fee and he does very good work. You can email him at toroidguy@...

--

Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...>

Still curous about what you find so funny about introducing kids to ham radio.

Arv. K 7HKL
_-_

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020, 1:46 PM Gary Bernard via groups.io <garybernard2=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
LOL big time.

Winding toroids could be an execelent way to introduce kids to ham radio.

_-_

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020, 11:57 AM Richard Lawn <rjlawn@...> wrote:
Thanks guys. I’ve used him before with other kits.

73
Rick, W2JAZ

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 1:29 PM Michael N6MST <mthompson.cob@...> wrote:
Mychael AA3WF does exactly this. He is the go-to guy for pre-wound toroids. He will wind to your specs for a fee and he does very good work. You can email him at toroidguy@...
--

Martin DK3UW

Arv, you may find the answer reading Ricks first post explaing why he is looking for prewound posts.

Martin
DK3UW

Richard Lawn

Introducing kids to ham radio is a great idea, but the thought of them winding toroids I found funny.
Rick, W2JAZ

Colin Evans M1BUU

I'm with Arv, I don't see what's funny.
Getting kids involved with making toroids is a good idea. Winding a toroid is a fulfilling process, you can see instantly whether you've done a good job or not.

The path has been beaten before.....
http://www.qrpme.com/docs/Toroid%20Tool.pdf

73, Colin
M1BUU

Jim Mcilroy

Well, I was blessed(?) with four aunts and some of them decided to teach me cork knitting so they could get on with watching soap operas in peace.

It is not a million miles away from winding toroids.

On 04/04/2020 19:54, Richard Lawn wrote:
Introducing kids to ham radio is a great idea, but the thought of them winding toroids I found funny.
Rick, W2JAZ

Don VE3IDS

I'm with Arv and Colin as well. I don't see what's funny about kids learning to wind toroids and bring introduced to ham radio. The abundance of small affordable kits these days could help rekindle the old days of homebrew and heathkit at a much more affordable price point. Lots of kids have great fine motor skills, ie Lego robots builds and other science projects. I'm far from being a kid myself but I don't find toroids to be difficult. They make builds much easier these days to be able to make inductors and transformers of whatever values one might need with a few standardized parts. It used to be that you would have to try and find a specific choke or transformer and maybe special order it, now you can wind it up yourself. A decent magnifying glass or even a smartphone camera really helps older eyes.
72 Don ve3ids

On Sat., Apr. 4, 2020, 3:18 p.m. Colin Evans M1BUU, <colin.evans2@...> wrote:
I'm with Arv, I don't see what's funny.
Getting kids involved with making toroids is a good idea. Winding a toroid is a fulfilling process, you can see instantly whether you've done a good job or not.

The path has been beaten before.....
http://www.qrpme.com/docs/Toroid%20Tool.pdf

73, Colin
M1BUU

James Daldry W4JED

Tempting. Not too bad a price for prime toroids, too.

Jim

On 4/4/20 3:18 PM, Colin Evans M1BUU wrote:
I'm with Arv, I don't see what's funny.
Getting kids involved with making toroids is a good idea. Winding a toroid is a fulfilling process, you can see instantly whether you've done a good job or not.

The path has been beaten before.....
http://www.qrpme.com/docs/Toroid%20Tool.pdf

73, Colin
M1BUU

Richard Lawn

I really meant no offense by it can we just drop it!

73s
Rick, W2JAZ

Rick, W2JAZ

Andy G0FTD

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 09:17 PM, James Daldry W4JED wrote:
Tempting. Not too bad a price for prime toroids, too.
60¢ per toroid and a tool to the end user IS good.

+1

Tim and Janet

Well I suppose I am on the other side of this conversation.  I did find it funny.  When I read this I thought of my 3 kids not necessarily all kids.  No way would they want to wind toroids and I can hear them now finding excuses not to do it.  I agree it is a great way to introduce building projects but they must be willing participants.  My kids winding my toroids?  Now that is funny to me.

73
Tim
KB2MFS

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 3:02 PM Don VE3IDS <ve3ids.don@...> wrote:
[...]

Humor is a funny thing...

I thought it was funny for the same reason. Hams are grasping at straws trying to attract a generation for whom radio isn't magic at all.  9 year olds walk around with devices more powerful than the Apollo computers and talk to people all over the world on a routine basis. Introducing them to the one aspect of homebrewing that most hams hate seems ironic if not funny. I happen to enjoy winding toroids. It's relaxing and satisfying to me. But it's appeal is clearly not shared universally.

Eric KE6US

On 4/4/2020 2:06 PM, Tim and Janet wrote:
[...]

Shirley Dulcey KE1L

I don't LOVE winding toroids, but I also don't mind it. At least not the ones that you're going to encounter in most ham kits: T37, T50, or T68 cores with reasonably flexible wire. The tiny sizes (T25 and smaller; Micrometals makes them all the way down to T5!) are a bit more of a pain because they're harder to get a grip on, and the huge ones like you might find in a power amplifier are typically used with thick, stiff wire.

But don't get me started on binocular core transformers. Those things are my nemesis. In most of the designs where I have encountered them, there doesn't seem to be enough room in the holes for all the turns to fit.